Tampa airport 10:35 AM or 2:40 PM?

39august

We are cruising out of Tampa next Oct and have never been to Tampa before. How long is the taxi ride from the cruise port to airport? If I carry off luggage is a 10:35 flight do-able? I have experienced POA to FLL and been checking in before 9 AM so I would expect this to be possible in Tampa. On the other hand, are there any tours around Tampa that are worthwhile to kill some time before the later departure? Or is it feasible to rent a car and drive around before going back to the airport? What are some interesting places in and around Tampa, please?

We are cruising out of Tampa next Oct and have never been to Tampa before. How long is the taxi ride from the cruise port to airport? If I carry off luggage is a 10:35 flight do-able? I have experienced POA to FLL and been checking in before 9 AM so I would expect this to be possible in Tampa. On the other hand, are there any tours around Tampa that are worthwhile to kill some time before the later departure? Or is it feasible to rent a car and drive around before going back to the airport? What are some interesting places in and around Tampa, please?

The Tampa Airport is maybe a 20 minute cab ride from the port - possibly a few minutes longer during rush hour. And getting around the airport is a breeze.

If you leave later - there is the Florida Aquarium that is within walking distance of the port. It's a decent way to kill time.

A bit of a gamble, but not a wild one...10:35 am can be done IF...the ship arrives on time, you carry your bags off the ship, you don't have problems with customs and you flip the bill for a cab from the port to the airport. Consider, if you are returning on the weekend, you have about 15 minutes to the airport. So, realistically, you need to be out of the port no later than 8:45 am to be at the airport 90 minutes before your flight. If you are returning on a weekday, you should estimate 30 minute travel time, just in case there is some lingering traffic from morning rush hour. If you take the later flight, you can do a leisurely exit from the ship, drop bags at the airport and head over to International Plaza, a mall with some good dining options adjacent to the airport. There are a ton of other things to do in Tampa, it just depends on how much you want to try to get done in the very short amount of time you have. There is a good article on things to do in Tampa at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1227720/a_travel_guide_for_tampa_bay_florida.html?cat=16

I wouldn't risk the early flight... too many variables that could delay your ships arrival or your trip to the airport. Why risk it? I just cruised the Inspiration out of Tampa last week, and our embarkation was delayed forever because the ship was several hours late getting into port. Also, we did self-assisted debarkation, and it was still not a speedy process at all.

Archived