Hamburg Overnite

twoatsea

DH & I will arrive in Hamburg on May 12, 2010 & sail on the QM2 on the following day. We plan to take a train around 9am from Berlin. I would very much appreciate some hotel suggestions. We are trying to stay $225 & under, in the city center (walk to dining/food area), an elevator for hauling luggage to our room, a no fee cancellation policy if cancelled 30 days or so before arrival, & with good reviews from fellow travelers. I've checked other travel sites, but so far I have not been able to find a hotel with the above criteria. Does it exist? Or do we need to go out of the city center?

Will also appreciate suggestions for transferring from such hotels from the train station & to the cruise terminal. We will have one wheelie bag & one backpack each, so we can walk on level ground for 15-20 minutes, but then it could be bad weather, so we would need a backup plan. We also would not want to take the walking option if the path is not clearly marked - don't want to wander around with luggage. We can't take transportation that requires a lot of lifting the bags up & down stairs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

DH & I will arrive in Hamburg on May 12, 2010 & sail on the QM2 on the following day. We plan to take a train around 9am from Berlin. I would very much appreciate some hotel suggestions. We are trying to stay $225 & under, in the city center (walk to dining/food area), an elevator for hauling luggage to our room, a no fee cancellation policy if cancelled 30 days or so before arrival, & with good reviews from fellow travelers. I've checked other travel sites, but so far I have not been able to find a hotel with the above criteria. Does it exist? Or do we need to go out of the city center?

Following suggestions:

1. Maritim Hotel at Kirchenallee

2. Europäischer Hof at Kirchenallee

Try the German booking engines:

http://www.hrs.de

http://www.hotel.de

Normally if you do not garantee with your credit card the hotel reservation just expire when you do not show up until 6 pm.

Both hotels are just OPPOSITE of central station of Kirchenallee site:

2009Hamburg01-vi.jpg

Walk out towards Track 1 and exit. It's just opposite.

2009Hamburg02-vi.jpg

The hotels are just behind the buses on the other side of the sidewalks.

From here all Ho-Ho-Services stars for Sightseeing.

City Center just start from the site of track 12.

And 225 USD is a high budget except it's trade fair. Port's anniversary was the weekend before so it should be ok with the rate.

Another Option would be the Park Hyatt and a total great location is

Hafen Hamburg (above the Landing Stages = Landungsbrücken on the left)

2009Hamburg05-vi.jpg

Steigenberger

Dorint (both hotel in the right area of the picture)

for these hotels you will need a taxi but good for any kind of sightseeing activities

Will also appreciate suggestions for transferring from such hotels from the train station & to the cruise terminal. We will have one wheelie bag & one backpack each, so we can walk on level ground for 15-20 minutes, but then it could be bad weather, so we would need a backup plan. We also would not want to take the walking option if the path is not clearly marked - don't want to wander around with luggage. We can't take transportation that requires a lot of lifting the bags up & down stairs.

From Europäischer Hof and Maritim you can just use Metrobus 6 to HafenCity Marco Polo Terrassen and you will be one block away from the cruise terminal.

2009Hamburg03-vi.jpg

2009Hamburg04-vi.jpg

Might also show now "Marco Polo Terrassen"...

Even a taxi would be just around from here for 10 EUR and about 6-8 minutes from the Cruise Terminal.

2009QM230107-vi.jpg

The distance would be between the black/white building on the left and the blue glass building to the front on the right. And a single ticket on Metrobus 6 is 1.30 EUR (Kurzstrecke = Short Track).

This picture was taken from the open promenade of QUEEN MARY 2.

Hope these information were helpful for your plannings.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

I just realised that i can´t post anything useful in this thread, but i will do it anyway.

We stayed at Hotel commodore near the Millerntor stadium and St. Pauli Hochbahn station, very useful for a night out at Reeperbahn (just for the beer :)) and a not so good Soccergame (Schalke 04 Lost 2-0 to the home team FC St. Pauli)

We were booked on Hotel 66 for only 79 Euro including breakfast but for some reasons unknown we were moved to the much better Hotel Commodore on Budapesterstrasse for the same price.

It was only good because it was a little bit further away from Reeperbahn (and all the noise) but stil in walking distance and closer to the Hochbahn station and the soccer stadium so it was a win/win situation.

The Breakfast included in the price was also very good but nothing spectacular.

Public transportation is insanely cheap in Hamburg so we used it alot to get from St. Pauli to the Shopping district at Hamburg Hbf and Rathaus stations.

But the cheap price has its disadvantage´s, the rolling stock is old (atleast on the U3 line we used) and several stations can´t handle wheelchair users, not a problem for me but for such a modern city it is a huge problem

This map will show all the lines and the stations marked with a Wheelchair is the only useable for wheelchair users.

http://www.hvv.de/pdf/fahrplaene/usar/hvv_usar_regio.pdf

You won´t see a S-train or a Metro station in Copenhagen that can´t handle wheelchair users, and now im look by a grumpy man but im more surprised over that fact than angry but it must suck for a wheelchair user.

The shopping district is very large and if it was not snowing and if we had better time we could have walking around all thay long because there was so much to see and do.

If you decides to venture out on Reeperbahn to have a good night out i would not start out in the end of the streets thats closer to the St. Pauli station because all the stripbars are located in that end and all the bars and clubs seems to be located closer the Reeperbahn S-bahn station used by line S1 and S3 located at the other end of the street.

Normally you can just pass the stripbars but they had these persons walking around on the street trying to lure you in and that is not funny when your just want to have a beer.

But back in the good end of Reeperbahn we visited The Beatles local pub when they were living in Hamburg and a very funny place playing only german folk music called Schläger or something like that.

All this happened on the first day, the next day the checked out at 10 and we had a nice breakfast on the hotel before driving down to the Central station and placed our bags at a locker box at the central station so we could take to the soccer game whitout the bags.

A Home game with FC St. Pauli can highly be recommended, the fans are anti violence and left wings so there are no problems with safety unless they are playing against local rivals Hamburger SV but they are not in the same league at the moment or thier arch enemy Hansa Rostock that are know for their Right wing and **** fans.

A good example of the friendly St. Pauli fans was happening when Schalke 04´s Gerald Asamoah was warming up, they sang to him that Schalke was chanceless whitout him, something about that they wanted him on the pitch and that he was a St. Pauli fan.

The wildest thing that was happening was was a snowball fight in the away fan section and a singing duel on the Hochbahn back to the Central station between a group of Schalke and St. Pauli fans.

But on the way home to Denmark it all went wrong

We were supposed to take a ICE train from Hamburg at 17:28 towards Copenhagen and with a change of train in Næstved we were supposed to be at home in Ølby near Køge south of Copenhagen at 22:21 but the ferry that our ICE train should have been on on the crossing between Germany and the danish island Lolland was cancelled (because of the bad winther weather here in europe) and so was our train so what did we do.

Yes we took a train over 1 hour later at 18:42 and with a change in Padborg at the Danish/German Border and at Fredericia using 2 local trains and one Intercity train we managed to be in Ringsted 25 km west of our hometown at 00:55 (the train was a little bit late because of the weather) but luckily we got a ride home from by my friends wife so im ended up at my home at 01:25 3 hours later that supposed.

Archived