Gluten Free Restaurants in Cocoa Beach

ooulio

I do not know of any gluten-free restaurants, but I do work in a restaurant that serves serveral customers per week that identify themselves as having celiac. In our restaurant we are able to look up on a computer every ingredient in our menu items to ensure that there are no hidden wheat products. And, once a guest has indicated that they cannot have wheat or wheat products, our cooks are instructed to take extra care not to cross contaminate when preparing the customer's order. Similar to what (I'm sure) cruiselines do when preparing meals for people with allergies, celiac, etc. However, I would not assume that your average chain restaurant will be able to accomodate (or understand) your needs. Many restaurants do not cook "from scratch", but rather buy prepared or semi-prepared foods from food distributors such as Sysco. Many of my customers who need to avoid wheat usually order things such as steamed fresh veggies, rice, salads with no dressing except oil and vinegar on the side, un-breaded fish, steaks, potatoes, rice noodles, etc. But you still need to be careful. Things such as veggies or even french fries can have "hidden" wheat products if they are prepared in sauces or lightly floured. I'd ask to see ingredient lists straight off of packaging if need be (something we'd be happy to do in our restaurant). If you are at a restaurant that won't do this, then I'd eat somewhere else. I hope this info helps.

Can you tell me where you work? My daughter lives in Tampa. She keeps telling me how Florida has so many places that are glfree. I have spent almost a month. Can't find any of them. On the cruise I am okay. I have my meals planned the nite before. Everything is great and gf. I am getting discouraged. I might end up eating my gluten bars for 2 days.

I do not know of any gluten-free restaurants, but I do work in a restaurant that serves serveral customers per week that identify themselves as having celiac. In our restaurant we are able to look up on a computer every ingredient in our menu items to ensure that there are no hidden wheat products. And, once a guest has indicated that they cannot have wheat or wheat products, our cooks are instructed to take extra care not to cross contaminate when preparing the customer's order. Similar to what (I'm sure) cruiselines do when preparing meals for people with allergies, celiac, etc. However, I would not assume that your average chain restaurant will be able to accomodate (or understand) your needs. Many restaurants do not cook "from scratch", but rather buy prepared or semi-prepared foods from food distributors such as Sysco. Many of my customers who need to avoid wheat usually order things such as steamed fresh veggies, rice, salads with no dressing except oil and vinegar on the side, un-breaded fish, steaks, potatoes, rice noodles, etc. But you still need to be careful. Things such as veggies or even french fries can have "hidden" wheat products if they are prepared in sauces or lightly floured. I'd ask to see ingredient lists straight off of packaging if need be (something we'd be happy to do in our restaurant). If you are at a restaurant that won't do this, then I'd eat somewhere else. I hope this info helps.

On, where do you work? I don't think CC would consider this promoting as you did not mention it the 1st time and this is important.

I happened to eat lunch in an "Uno Chicago Grill" just south of Cocoa yesterday and noticed they had a special gluten free menu

There is an Uno on State Road 520 in MerritT Island, right between Cocoa and Cocoa Beach

http://uno.know-where.com/pizzeria/cgi/selection?mapid=US&lang=en&design=default&country=&region_name=&region=&place=32940&mapx=&mapy=

http://www.unos.com/kiosk/nutritionUnos.html

Can you tell me where you work? My daughter lives in Tampa. She keeps telling me how Florida has so many places that are glfree. I have spent almost a month. Can't find any of them. On the cruise I am okay. I have my meals planned the nite before. Everything is great and gf. I am getting discouraged. I might end up eating my gluten bars for 2 days.

I'd rather not say exactly where I work.........but, after doing a search online, I found these links:

www.greenroomcafecocoabeach.com

www.seasons52.com/menu/alternative_menus.asp

www.urbanspoon.com/tn/219/1/25002/Gluten-Free-Friendly/Cocoa-Beach-restaurants

Hope this helps.

Archived