Phoning home from Jamaica?

MoneyGuy

Actually, this time we're not on a ship. We're on the island for a week. I'm posting here because of the vast knowledge of the folks here but not on a cruise this time. I will need a way of phoning home to check on the failing health of a family member. I'm thinking the best way is to get a phone card on the island. Has anyone done this in Jamaica or have other ideas? I'd prefer not to unlock a cell phone or buy an unlocked phone on the island so a phone card seems the best bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a "Digicel" phone at a local digicel store (on every block!) for like $40.00 US. Then, for around $10.00 US you can get 1000 international anytime minutes. Digicel is the most widely used cell in all the carribean, so if you travel elsewhere you can use it in that country. Cell use there is done on a prepaid 'credit" system. It's usually about .17 per minute and you buy the cards to replace the credit.

Phone cards are way expensive in Jamacia. This is the chepest way to go. I have one that I use when i go to my second home there. Enjoy your trip.

Actually, this time we're not on a ship. We're on the island for a week. I'm posting here because of the vast knowledge of the folks here but not on a cruise this time. I will need a way of phoning home to check on the failing health of a family member. I'm thinking the best way is to get a phone card on the island. Has anyone done this in Jamaica or have other ideas? I'd prefer not to unlock a cell phone or buy an unlocked phone on the island so a phone card seems the best bet.

Archived