Access America Ins vs Princess Travel Care

ShipShapeinFL

After reading many of your posts, I decided to go to insuremytrip.com and enter information about my April Hawaii cruise from LA for which I have Platinum coverage from Princess for $86 each.

The quote from Access America was $259 and from Travel Guard $256.

Unless I did something wrong, it would appear Princess has far and away the best price. I always buy travel insurance but have never needed to use it. Like so many, I find the policies confusing. I can only hope that if I fall ill or get injured while on the cruise, Princess will come thru for me.

I actually don't know. I do know the policy my agent offers me is different then what insuremytrip offers (and it is cheaper). I bet Access America has thousands of policies out there and insuremytrip is just showing a few of them. I also know that Princess has offered specials on their insurance (half off on certain itineraries).

You are right - the whole thing is confusing! And the one time that I thought I was covered for everything, I wasn't (pretty unique situation). So I think you and everyone else here hopes that whatever emergency comes up on a cruise (though we don't know what they will be or else we would be prepared for it) - that insurance covers us and all will be well.

Every person's situation is different and every cruise seems different. Each time I book a trip - there are different scenarios that need to be considered for insurance (air booked independently, flying in a day before or three days before, does my health insurance cover me where the cruise is going, how much is air evac in that situation, is my boss going to cancel my vacation, etc...). Advice - keep your eyes open for your situation is and try to book the right policy for an emergency/incident that you don't expect. :)

Thankfully there seems to be more positive stories out there on these boards than negative stories about cruise insurance!

After reading many of your posts, I decided to go to insuremytrip.com and enter information about my April Hawaii cruise from LA for which I have Platinum coverage from Princess for $86 each.

The quote from Access America was $259 and from Travel Guard $256.

Unless I did something wrong, it would appear Princess has far and away the best price. I always buy travel insurance but have never needed to use it. Like so many, I find the policies confusing. I can only hope that if I fall ill or get injured while on the cruise, Princess will come thru for me.

Wow - I'd like in on your travel agent! If you are getting Princess coverage for $86 that means whatever cabin you got costs about $1000 for that cruise (at Princess' 8% insurance rate).

Wow - I'd like in on your travel agent! If you are getting Princess coverage for $86 that means whatever cabin you got costs about $1000 for that cruise (at Princess' 8% insurance rate).

Princess had a 1/2 price discount on insurance for a month or so. I was getting a $49 pp for regular ins., but we just got a price drop on our cabin so the ins went up to $75 pp. Still saving $200 on the cabin so it is worth the increase in ins.

Possibly the difference in travel insurance prices is when you buy the insurance. With Travel Guard you are supposed to book your insurance within 14 days of your deposit. Also the private insurance takes age into pricing consideration and for older couples it could possibly be cheaper to buy the Princess policy. I bought Travel Guard for my Feb. 18th 10 night cruise on the Ruby and for my wife and myself the policy cost $149, about $100 less than Princess and it covers the flight and the pre-cruise hotel. Also you can upgrade the policy to include pre-existing health problems and also a cancel for any reason option.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the agents make more money on outside insurance sales, but the companies like Access America and Travel Guard will cover pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within 15 days of deposit. And several companies don't charge to cover children. Also alot of the coverage offered by some of the cruiselines and tour operators is not even called "insurance" but "cancellation protection". You need to read the fine print, and compare apples to apples. I also found out after purchasing insurance after my deposit but before I purchased the airfare, it (the airline tickets) could be added on to the policy. Which is exactly what I did 6 months after paying my deposit! They just charged me the add-on amount of the policy!

Archived