Key Card Spending limit?

pateoreo1

Watch out for the teenage years! Trust but don't tempt has been our motto for years. Having raised 3 boys, 16, 18 and 22, we have see a lot. Just when you think your teens are perfect, they prove you wrong. Remember, trust but don't tempt.

We have always gaven them a limit on there cards depending on the length of the cruise. Most of their spending money on their card came from money they had earned and saved for their crusie vacation. But we limited the amount ourselves that they could spend in a day, so that it was stretched out over the entire week. And not just spent in one day.

My older children always had more than the younger ones and they were always spent on different things. Oldest DD always hit the spa treatments with her money and loves the speciality coffees but the younger ones spent their hard earned money at the arcade or gift shops.

When ever we were in the cabin through out the day I would check their purchases online with the tv. Once had my DD's friend spend my money on Myspace while aboard (after they were all specifically told Internet Cafe was off limits). Not a good experience but a def learning curb for me.

Good luck on how ever you decide to handle it. I think I am gonna try to put their money on individual Visa cards and turn them on as their SS card when we go in March (as mentioned here). It would be a great idea if it actually works, from all ends.

When the balance reaches ZERO than you will have no more to spend. PERIOD LOL Yeah right, who am I kidding!?

We have always gaven them a limit on there cards depending on the length of the cruise. Most of their spending money on their card came from money they had earned and saved for their crusie vacation. But we limited the amount ourselves that they could spend in a day, so that it was stretched out over the entire week. And not just spent in one day.

My older children always had more than the younger ones and they were always spent on different things. Oldest DD always hit the spa treatments with her money and loves the speciality coffees but the younger ones spent their hard earned money at the arcade or gift shops.

When ever we were in the cabin through out the day I would check their purchases online with the tv. Once had my DD's friend spend my money on Myspace while aboard (after they were all specifically told Internet Cafe was off limits). Not a good experience but a def learning curb for me.

Good luck on how ever you decide to handle it. I think I am gonna try to put their money on individual Visa cards and turn them on as their SS card when we go in March (as mentioned here). It would be a great idea if it actually works, from all ends.

When the balance reaches ZERO than you will have no more to spend. PERIOD LOL Yeah right, who am I kidding!?

This is a very good post, thank you.

I backed out of this thread because I of my perception that some felt that I needed to justify just what my grandkids should be able to spend MY money on.

This it their vacation as well as mine, and if NCL will honor their verbal committment to me, I will place $100 (or so) on each of their cards...as I firmly believe that my grandkids should be able to have discretionary money too (after all, it is MY money, not yours!).

If NCL cannot, or will not, allow me to put limits on the cards, then, obviously, I will not...but all that that means is NCL will not be earning the $300, and we will spend it onshore, instead.

Thank you for acknowledging it. I feel that when some one posts a post on this board they deserve an honest answer. I just told them what we do with our kids in this circumstance and it works for us. Obviously, each child is different and it won't work for everyone but this is what has been working for us (with a few twiks made here and there) for almost 10 years of cruising with kids.

Glad I could help you.:)

As a twenty-something without kids I am not experienced with the exact situation, HOWEVER.... I do know that you can purchase OBC certificates through NCL's website (http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BonVoyageGifts#onboard). I have had some wonderful family members who have done this for my husband and I as an anniversary gift.

If your kids' cards are not attached to a credit card, but only to the pre-set certificate you order, I imagine you will have your limit!

We didnt put a card number for ANY of the accounts, which is probably why we could assign a specific amount of cash for our daughters account.

This method made it very simple to budget- just keep those service charges in mind as they do add them daily on top of any charges.

As a twenty-something without kids I am not experienced with the exact situation, HOWEVER.... I do know that you can purchase OBC certificates through NCL's website (http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BonVoyageGifts#onboard). I have had some wonderful family members who have done this for my husband and I as an anniversary gift.

If your kids' cards are not attached to a credit card, but only to the pre-set certificate you order, I imagine you will have your limit!

Amy has posted another great idea I had never thought of myself before. But could it be used to open an individual spending acct. or would it just go toward who ever the card holder is that showed their card for that room?? Like I mean, could it be divied (sp?) to different ppl though we are all in the same cabin?

If that makes anymore sense, not sure how to put into words what I mean without it sounding confusing. LOL:confused:

We didnt put a card number for ANY of the accounts, which is probably why we could assign a specific amount of cash for our daughters account.

This method made it very simple to budget- just keep those service charges in mind as they do add them daily on top of any charges.

WHat do you mean you didn't put a card number for any accts.? Trying to understand........ you mean you used cash to open your onboard acct. and not a credit card?? You put cash on sperately on each individual acct. Is that right?

This is a very good post, thank you.

I backed out of this thread because I of my perception that some felt that I needed to justify just what my grandkids should be able to spend MY money on.

This it their vacation as well as mine, and if NCL will honor their verbal committment to me, I will place $100 (or so) on each of their cards...as I firmly believe that my grandkids should be able to have discretionary money too (after all, it is MY money, not yours!).

If NCL cannot, or will not, allow me to put limits on the cards, then, obviously, I will not...but all that that means is NCL will not be earning the $300, and we will spend it onshore, instead.

Based on your reply to my prior post, I'm going to assume you are referring to me, and I apologize, because it was absolutely not my intent. I'm sorry that there was a misunderstanding. Sometimes in my effort to explain my ideas or opinions, I end up coming across in a way completely different than intended.

I absolutely agree that when kids have money to spend, they should be allowed to spend it as they choose - especially while on vacation. :) My suggestions were only meant as possible solutions for monitoring spending in case there was no way to set a limit on the card itself.

Based on your reply to my prior post, I'm going to assume you are referring to me, and I apologize, because it was absolutely not my intent. I'm sorry that there was a misunderstanding. Sometimes in my effort to explain my ideas or opinions, I end up coming across in a way completely different than intended.

I absolutely agree that when kids have money to spend, they should be allowed to spend it as they choose - especially while on vacation. :) My suggestions were only meant as possible solutions for monitoring spending in case there was no way to set a limit on the card itself.

Thank you. But you caused no foul here, honestly.

I was just hoping that there would be more posts from those that have actually been able (or denied) to place a daily or weekly limit on cards.

So far, there has been me, having been told over the phone that yes, I can, and another, who was denied while aboard ship, and many that have offered suggestions and alternatives (which I will most certainly keep in mind while "negotiating" with NCL.)

I guess that I will really only find out in March.

I will attempt to do so while checking in, and if that fails, I will talk with the concierge after we board.

NCL has always (in my experiences) been able to handle most anything within reason, so my expectations are that all will go well.

Well, my husband was looking over my shoulder and was very happy when he saw the title to this thread....

unbeknownst to him...its about kids....not wives!!! LOL

We have a 16 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter...I am thinking about "telling" them they have a limit set on their card..(havent figured out the amount yet..) and if they hit their limit...they are done for the week.

We tried to put a fixed amount on each of the kids cards. All cards had to be active at check in so the gratuities could be charged. I attempted to make the change at Guest Relations, and was told first that I could put an amount on each card, but NCL wouldn't be responsible if it went over and wasn't caught. It would have to be in cash. I did this, which required the card to be taken off my account, but when my son swiped his card in the air hockey game, it would not work. Back to Guest Relations, where another person said that what I was doing wouldn't work. The cash was added to my account, and their cards were still "off". I ended up turning their cards "on", and they kept track. On or Off.

BTW- the air hockey, which was $1 for the length of our cruise, was increased to $1.95 on the morning we left. I hold my sons responsible for the increased demand!

Well, my husband was looking over my shoulder and was very happy when he saw the title to this thread....

unbeknownst to him...its about kids....not wives!!! LOL

We have a 16 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter...I am thinking about "telling" them they have a limit set on their card..(havent figured out the amount yet..) and if they hit their limit...they are done for the week.

We tried to put a fixed amount on each of the kids cards. All cards had to be active at check in so the gratuities could be charged. I attempted to make the change at Guest Relations, and was told first that I could put an amount on each card, but NCL wouldn't be responsible if it went over and wasn't caught. It would have to be in cash. I did this, which required the card to be taken off my account, but when my son swiped his card in the air hockey game, it would not work. Back to Guest Relations, where another person said that what I was doing wouldn't work. The cash was added to my account, and their cards were still "off". I ended up turning their cards "on", and they kept track. On or Off.

BTW- the air hockey, which was $1 for the length of our cruise, was increased to $1.95 on the morning we left. I hold my sons responsible for the increased demand!

$1.95 for Air Hockey!!!!:eek: lol

Oh, I am just going to "tell" them..meaning they have no way of knowing if what I tell them is true...lol..unless they ask someone in Guest Relations...which I am doubting:D

Will tell them you have X amount of funds available on your cards...keep track of your spending..cause once you reach your limit....game over...:cool:

They are good kids , I trust them..part of this is in jest....I highly doubt they will book another cruise or drink $100 worth of smoothies..DD will be 13 and DS is 16...it will be the almost 4 yr old Princess I cannot trust!:D

I knew that is exactly what would happen. The money (cash) you put on their accts. went straight to yours?! All cruiselines have to see this as an issue while cruising with kids of all ages. They really do have to figure out an easier way to do this without getting 15 different answers from 15 different employees. It needs to be one way and told to everyone that works the front desk or switchboard, that way everyone is on the same sheet of music. It is crazy after all these years cruising, they still haven't addressed this major issue.:rolleyes:

It is very frustrating to us parents, to have to keep taking time out from our cruise to keep going to the Purser's desk only to wait in a long line for the 3rd time today; to discuss problems with the kid's cards.

[quote name='DiBob']Thats why we love WDW...Disney GIft cards....NCL Gift cards?![/quote]

It doesn't seem to matter what type of card you are using, the point seems to be that the gift card or cash goes straight towards the balance of that cabin not each individual card holder. They seem to just want to apply it towards the credit card holder of that cabin.

Seems very strange to me how they can not make it so that you can apply monies toward any given card associated with that cabin. I have sailed with MIL in our cabin before and she obviously put up her own card at checkin and it worked fine all week but that was on RCCI. So how knows? Maybe it just depends on what person you get at checkin?? LOL

Archived