Balcony Room ???

ladyjane550

Is it really worth the extra $$$ for a balcony room when in Alaska?

One thing to consider when cruising to Alaska is that there is great scenery on BOTH sides of the ship when sailing through the Inside Passage. Sitting on your balcony you will only get to see half of it. Just a thought.

When we went to Alaska there were 3 adults and 2 teenagers. My DH and I had an oceanview and my mother and the 2 teenagers had a balcony. I WAS SO JEALOUS! They were able to wake up every morning and sit on their balcony and have breakfast and enjoy the view without the crowds. My girls ordered room service all day long and sat on the balcony and looked for wild life.

When we cruised threw Tracy Fjord the decks were filled with people and DH and I had a hard time finding a place to get comfortable and enjoy the views.

I know when I go back to Alaska (and I will :D) I am getting a balcony!

The "fancy digs" are part of what make a wonderful trip for me. That's why I cruise rather than camp out.

I hope I am never so fussy about accommodations that I would choose to stay home rather than go on a wonderful trip - minus the fancy digs.

I have heard some clever families have one balcony for mom and dad and the kids are in and inside cabin right across the hall...seems a great plan.

That's what we do. Our daughters like having the Girl Cave with their own bathroom, yet the entire family can enjoy the balcony.

We will be on our 4th Alaskan cruise in July........the previous 3 with balconies. This time we have decided on an OV cabin - only because of the cost. In Alaska, the balcony is very worth it but not at the expense of cutting back on excursions.

You will have so many viewing areas/opportunities on the ship - but the excursions will take you to places that words can not describe.

This is our 5th trip to Alaska (one without the cruise but all with land travel) - and we leave our heart there each time.

One thing to consider when cruising to Alaska is that there is great scenery on BOTH sides of the ship when sailing through the Inside Passage. Sitting on your balcony you will only get to see half of it. Just a thought.

I agree with you 100%.I thought I spent too much time in my room .I like to enjoy the entire ship and meet other passangers.

The first time we went to Alaska, we had a balcony. We did spend a lot of time in the room, looking at the scenery. (There were days that it was too cold to sit outside.) We felt like we missed a lot of the ship and 'people watching' by spending the time in our room. Next year, we are hoping to go back again and will get an inside cabin. As others have said, what you save can will let you really enjoy more shore excursions! And you will get to spend more time in the public areas of the ship, instead of locked in your cabin.

Maria

The first time we went to Alaska, we had a balcony. We did spend a lot of time in the room, looking at the scenery. (There were days that it was too cold to sit outside.) We felt like we missed a lot of the ship and 'people watching' by spending the time in our room. Next year, we are hoping to go back again and will get an inside cabin. As others have said, what you save can will let you really enjoy more shore excursions! And you will get to spend more time in the public areas of the ship, instead of locked in your cabin.

Maria

I get the impression that many (not all of course) of the people who choose a balcony do not have budget problems and can do it all...book the balcony and take all the excursions they want. This is such a hot topic and appears on a regular basis on this forum and probably many other forums on this board. There are simply those who must have a balcony and then there are those who can cruise without it. Key is to find out what kind of cruiser you are. If, indeed, you will be truly miserable without a balcony, then get one. If you can live without it, why waste dollars, unless you have dollars to waste? JMHO

I think people should book what they can afford and and what they want. However as much as Alaska is scenery and a balcony certainly does aid in seeing it, like BQ says you are going to see a lot more by getting out of your cabin and seeing it from on deck.

I also see little reason to book a balcony in the shoulder seasons when it is likely going to be so wet, foggy and cool you are not going to be able or want to use your balcony. Having been to Alaska 15 times and sailed up and down the coast of British Columbia countless times in smaller vessels I no longer feel I need a balcony. We did book a partially obstructed cabin this past fall but ended up being upgraded to a balcony...nice ... but we only used it once or twice for minutes at a time.

Archived