Arizona Memorial-On your own-how long does it take?

dixieva

We will be on the Island Princess in April and want to see the Arizona Memorial. The ship's tour takes 5 hours and we don't want to spend that much time there. We thought we would try to be in the first group off the ship at 8 and take a taxi there. Has anyone done that and if so, how much was the taxie ride? Is there an admission fee to see the memorial? And do you think we could do this and be back at the ship by noon? We want to do a longer excursion in the afternoon.

Thanks for the help.

From what I've read on here if you get there by 8:30 you will be at the end of a 1500' line of people ahead of you. Therefore you won't get into the memorial for at least a couple of hours. Theres an old thread that I read back in October or so that said you should arrive no later than 7 A.M. to get on one of the first tours. Try this link to a photo from that thread...

http://www.pbase.com/image/31834776

I saved it to make sure my fellow travelors believed me when I told them we needed to be there at 6:30 A.M.!

LOL! That's a great picture!

I would agree that if you're getting off the ship at 8 am (and I assume that's the actual listed docking time which doesn't necessarily mean that you're getting off at 8 am), it's pretty unlikely that you'll be back by noon ... it'll take you until at least 9 am to get there and by then, the lines will be pretty long. Might want to rethink your plans.

Spleen

In Nov we took the Duck tour of the Arizona. We got to the Memorial around 10 am and there was no line at all. This was the Monday following Thanksgiving weekend so that may have had something to do with it. There were three groups for the movie/tour ahead of us and we didn't go to the theatre until 11 am.

There is no charge for the Memorial/Theatre or launch to the Arizona. No bags, purses, etc. are allowed in the Memorial but they can be checked "next door" at the Bowfin/Missouri complex for a bout $2 per.

Taxi fare to the airport two years ago was $15, the Arizona is a few miles past so it might be closer to $20-25.

Thanks Bug Dan for the info. I think we decided to get off the ship as soon as possible and take a taxie to the memorial. If we can take the tour and be back before noon we will, if not, we will just go back to the ship. We need to pick up our other tour at 1 and don't want to miss that one.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Archived