ROLL CALL: Celebrity Equinox 10/18/2010 Pied Piper

Bayotter

Digressions are good :)

Will...I want to make sure you are dealing with the same company. When you e-mail Anna is the one who should be responding. You mention Gaetano who I do not know. You should be emailing with romelimostours@romelimostours.com

Also, it sounds like you are doinmg 55 Euros each for airport and 130 for the port trip, which is 240.

Just a thought...tell Rome Limos Tours you would do all 3 trips fr the 240 Euros ...as you have this amount from the hotel. They might match it.

Can't help you with the cash part. This has been my experience with almost all private tour companies.

If not....Maybe Ruby can drive.....or was it Saphire ;)

Sapphire (Greek: σάπφειρος; sappheiros "blue stone") is just one of those words that most people don't use that much, I think half the requests we get off the website spell it incorrectly, so not alone. I did get my sapphire bling for the cruise though, just repurposed this set of cufflinks/shirt studs for formal night, think they look pretty good

Just got plans finalized for Egypt somewhat, really starting to get excited about this trip. I know it won't seem real probably till sitting around having dinner at the Montecarlo with some of you guys. Temperatures look like they should be mid 80's so thats good, we have a cute cruise director, and more and more looking like a great G&L group. Just wish PP would say how many people they ended up booking so far.

cufflinks1.jpg

Is there a formal night ? I am not prepared. (QM/QV/QE crossings). Like casual or nice casual.

The sapphires are stunning!!, says this Greek-Canadian guy.:D

Who is this cute Cruise Director ? Have you been told about host already ? Besides cute being important, assume he is really good with our groups?

I have had a dozen emails to/fro with Derek at PP. Trust me, the total number of guys IS A STATE SECRET. The mysteries of this industry.

I have never had a vacation, where, at this point, everything is booked and accounted for. I am really busy with work and condo stuff. So, I guess I was starting to also get a bit excited to get the trip going.

Mid 80s. Mid Oct. Surprised.

Better than Athens, August, 33C-39C. For my American cousins, you will have to do the conversions yourself.

But, on the trip, I can instantly translate any C temp to F for you guys.

Sapphire (Greek: σάπφειρος; sappheiros "blue stone") is just one of those words that most people don't use that much, I think half the requests we get off the website spell it incorrectly, so not alone. I did get my sapphire bling for the cruise though, just repurposed this set of cufflinks/shirt studs for formal night, think they look pretty good

Just got plans finalized for Egypt somewhat, really starting to get excited about this trip. I know it won't seem real probably till sitting around having dinner at the Montecarlo with some of you guys. Temperatures look like they should be mid 80's so thats good, we have a cute cruise director, and more and more looking like a great G&L group. Just wish PP would say how many people they ended up booking so far.

cufflinks1.jpg

For a 13 night cruise there will be 3 formal nights ...You can actually rent the tuxedos from the Celebrity website if you want...see the below site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/shopping.do;jsessionid=0000-taBS2jjP02mjXVnToNWzCM:12hdbcuh7

We have rented them before when we did not want to drag our tuxes over the pond...makes it a bit easier...we may end up doing the same this time but have not decided yet. We brought our own bowties and cummerbunds to mix it up but it was nice having a nicely ironed fresh tux there and waiting and then not having to pack it in the end. I think I am talking myself in to it again!!!! :rolleyes:

I think Brian is right, its usually 2 or 3 formal nights. even if you don't rent/bring a tux along it doesn't really matter. I know last cruise we had 5 or 6 guys that just didn't feel comfortable in the the formal stuff, so they just wore a tie, and that was fine by everyone.

I had gotten a nice Armani tux maybe have a dozen years ago, and I think cruises seem to be the only time I wear it, so I'll lug it along.

Got an email from PP this past week because I had sent them one asking in general how many people we could expect on this cruise. They sent some reply back that they wouldn't release the number till a week before the cruise, really have no idea why they are so guarded about it, seems pretty stupid. They did say Bruce would be hosting. I've never met him, so hopefully he's a good guy.

Bill, I can understand what you mean about staying busy. I know with me its been one thing after another this year. Remodeling projects around the house started me off, then got diagnosed with skin cancer (100% fixed thank goodness), then I started training as a mediator for the New York State Court system (finished that too), then we had to completely redo my website http://www.simplysapphires.com both backend/frontend so had to hire programmers/designers/etc.

Then just this month my main job as a chemist, we've gotten real busy so working 12 hours/day 6 days a week for a few weeks. So by the time this trip comes along. I'll be 100% ready to go away. Just one of those things, some years are pretty smooth sailing, but other ones are like a sine wave major swings up, and major swings down

My only other Cruise was Atlantis/HAL Baltic last summer. Spoiled and comfortable with casual and blazer for dinner when it 'suited' us. Just add a tie. I hate packing so no Tux from here. Too much money spent in the last few months, so dont even want to rent on board, via website ahead of time.

What is the punishment of not dressing formal enough ?

Please provide all graphic details.:p

I must be prepared.

John, first of all, thank goodness, you are cancer free ! Hope health is always strong.

You certainly have had a busy time of it as well.

Only concern is that you and I (and others) work so hard before a Trip, and then go on the Trip, slightly exhausted.

Trying to build a buffer of decompression time before trip. A break before a break.

Brian, John, V,...thanks for helpful information about cruising on this thread.

Mr. "BayOtter" havent seen any recent thread. I hope all is well.

As a veteran cruise/traveler and a professional in the business, this is second nature. And stress free(?).

Have a great Labour Day long weekend all !!!! :)

(British spelling of course).

I think Brian is right, its usually 2 or 3 formal nights. even if you don't rent/bring a tux along it doesn't really matter. I know last cruise we had 5 or 6 guys that just didn't feel comfortable in the the formal stuff, so they just wore a tie, and that was fine by everyone.

I had gotten a nice Armani tux maybe have a dozen years ago, and I think cruises seem to be the only time I wear it, so I'll lug it along.

Got an email from PP this past week because I had sent them one asking in general how many people we could expect on this cruise. They sent some reply back that they wouldn't release the number till a week before the cruise, really have no idea why they are so guarded about it, seems pretty stupid. They did say Bruce would be hosting. I've never met him, so hopefully he's a good guy.

Bill, I can understand what you mean about staying busy. I know with me its been one thing after another this year. Remodeling projects around the house started me off, then got diagnosed with skin cancer (100% fixed thank goodness), then I started training as a mediator for the New York State Court system (finished that too), then we had to completely redo my website http://www.simplysapphires.com both backend/frontend so had to hire programmers/designers/etc.

Then just this month my main job as a chemist, we've gotten real busy so working 12 hours/day 6 days a week for a few weeks. So by the time this trip comes along. I'll be 100% ready to go away. Just one of those things, some years are pretty smooth sailing, but other ones are like a sine wave major swings up, and major swings down

I haven't had a good homoerotic hazing ritual since Engineering School, Frat, day 1, year 1 (we call it first year or "Frosh"; not Freshmen formal term (or Sophmore, Junior, Senior) (2nd, 3rd, 4th years)). More subtle cultural differences between us 'cousins' than you may be aware.

Kink and other play...my lips are sealed. :rolleyes:

P.S. If you have ever seen our famous BEER (Eh!) commercial, "I am Canadian-Rant"...here is one thing to consider...

'our beaver is a proud and noble creature'...:eek:

My only other Cruise was Atlantis/HAL Baltic last summer. Spoiled and comfortable with casual and blazer for dinner when it 'suited' us. Just add a tie. I hate packing so no Tux from here. Too much money spent in the last few months, so dont even want to rent on board, via website ahead of time.

What is the punishment of not dressing formal enough ?

Please provide all graphic details.:p

I must be prepared.

John, first of all, thank goodness, you are cancer free ! Hope health is always strong.

You certainly have had a busy time of it as well.

Only concern is that you and I (and others) work so hard before a Trip, and then go on the Trip, slightly exhausted.

Trying to build a buffer of decompression time before trip. A break before a break.

Brian, John, V,...thanks for helpful information about cruising on this thread.

As a veteran cruise/traveler and a professional in the business, this is second nature. And stress free(?).

Have a great Labour Day long weekend all !!!! :)

(British spelling of course).

A blazer/tie is more than enough I think. The natives onboard are friendly no matter how you dress :D. Yeah I was really lucky, two quick operations with an encore of of plastic surgery and now, no real trace or marks of anything :).

I always enjoy staying busy, but you are right, usually by the time I leave for a holiday, I'm exhausted, but thats OK as the energy of the adventure always recharges me.

I decided to take a 48 hour buffer in London prior to the cruise, it will be nice just to hang out in West Kensington with friends and decompress a little before the cruise starts.

The good thing is there is an old Danish saying that says "The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”, so my guess is we can all use a break from our busy lives, and in this case the sea will help.

All is well here. I have been following the thread, but having just bought a house and being busy with work, I have been quite distracted with other things here. All of my arrangements are now secure for this cruise (and the subsequent one). I signed up for the PP recommended excursions for Greece and Sicily, so hope to enjoy those days with some of you.

I will be leaving home on October 13, just around the corner!

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been in touch with Ramses Tours, a well reviewed Egypt tour company. Here is link to Trip Advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294201-d1744502-Reviews-Ramses_Tours-Cairo.html

They are offering basically the same tour that is available from the ship for $290 less. Here is a link to the tour description from Ramses: http://www.ramsestours.com/egypt-shore-excursions/tours-from-alexandria-port/overnight-luxor-cairo-from-alexandria/

They need at least 40 people to make this tour work as they charter a flight from Alexandria.

If you are interested let me know and see if we can get this filled up.

Thanks, I found the same thing, A group of 7 of us from the Equinox booked this one

http://www.ramsestours.com/egypt-shore-excursions/tours-from-alexandria-port/overnight-1-from-alexandria/

Ran about $200 for the package, and that includes an overnight at The Oberoi Hotel which overlooks the pyramids

Hey folks

I got 2 guy friends looking for cabinshare in PP group, anyone have a booked cabin looking to share? Current rates are outrageous, otherwise they would book together. Also, what are the plans, if any, to meet-up for dinner or drinks in Rome?

John, can you get an engine room tour? Look forward to seeing all the 9/09 PP transatlantic folks again.

Hi Brian,

I'll email Dan this week Brian and see what he can do for the tour. Looking forward to seeing you and the 09/09 group again as well. I do have a cabin to myself, but not sure if interested in a share, as its always kind of a risk if going to synch. if you want, have your friend email me and see if maybe it could work. I'll cc this to your email as well.

I know a bunch of us were going to meet at Montecarlo on the 17th, but don't think we set up any particular time or formal plans

Hi Brian,

I'll email Dan this week Brian and see what he can do for the tour. Looking forward to seeing you and the 09/09 group again as well. I do have a cabin to myself, but not sure if interested in a share, as its always kind of a risk if going to synch. if you want, have your friend email me and see if maybe it could work. I'll cc this to your email as well.

I know a bunch of us were going to meet at Montecarlo on the 17th, but don't think we set up any particular time or formal plans

Hey John

Email me in Roma when you guys nail down your 10/17 plans. My crew and I (4 + 1 staying elsewhere) let an apt near the colesseum, so we will have to catch up with you guys.

Brian

PS my friend who was looking for the cabinshare decided not to go on the cruise; he's doing the RSVP Hawaii cruise instead.

For those of you staying at the Montecarlo, please leave a message for me, or ring up my room, so that we can meet up for drinks and dinner, or even hang out earlier in the day. I am arriving 4 nights earlier, but have no tours planned for the day before the cruise. Wow, just around the corner now.....

Jamie Lotstein

Hi Jamie, Guys

As Jamie said..right around the corner. This is my first Pied Piper so I look forward to getting to know the Alums. Have done Atlantis before. 2nd Cruise. Landlubber, historically.

Busy with so many things...new condo (so much money, time)...etc...now starting to slow down.

It would be great to get us, at least 3 Montecarlo guys, having a nice get together on October 17. My plane arrives at FCO at 735am.

If we can connect with the Apt/Colisseum guys that would be a bonus.

I have been assigned a Roommate through the Share program. Otherwise, would have been open to a share. Last year's Atlantis Share was a near perfect match...can lightning strike twice ?!

Derek at PP changed his story and said that he is still taking reservations and that FINAL PP PAX NUMBERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED WEEK BEFORE CRUISE!

Jamie, thanks very much for setting up this thread ! It has helped a few of us get to know a few others. I am surprised that PP hasn't offered a Bulletin Board. I take this as a sign this is not a huge Cruise for us.

Finally, 5 pics. Here is my new Designed Condo, 31 floors above the gay Village in downtown Toronto. Clear view of our Banking Towers in the distant right (and the CN Tower, one of the tallest towers in the world) and Lake Ontario on the distant left. I have a clear view of the coast of upstate New York, somewhere around Lewiston, I suspect. 1st 3 pics.

This is me loving St. Petersburg last July on our Atlantis Baltic Cruise. 4th pic. Last pic is me in my ancestral Greece, Mykonos, late 2008.

Bon Voyage to all !

Look me up at the hotel as well.

Bill Goulios.

For those of you staying at the Montecarlo, please leave a message for me, or ring up my room, so that we can meet up for drinks and dinner, or even hang out earlier in the day. I am arriving 4 nights earlier, but have no tours planned for the day before the cruise. Wow, just around the corner now.....

Jamie Lotstein

822955249_billsbrunch004.jpg.4923b48d325986297d7889d3e67c252e.jpg

207356592_billsbrunch001.jpg.a74b56b91b9833815d4f766541aa95ed.jpg

1807032223_billsbrunch005.jpg.0745c160e45e706ccfd4293e1b8471df.jpg

1317072995_IMG_1384(2).jpg.74002269da0d30e068015442857138c3.jpg

292896545_img_0081(3).jpg.27cc9eba2387d29969dc0103bca3e40e.jpg

Jaime, David, Bill, Brian's, Anyone Else

I do think the get together before the sail away will be a nice meet/greet for all of us. I know Brian had mentioned they would be over near the Colosseum, which is only 10 minutes by taxi or 30 minutes walking away from the Montecarlo. I get in about 2pm from Pague, so will check in with Jaime, once I arrive, and text/email Brian once we have a time set up. How does maybe like 7:30 sound?

Not sure why all the secrecy with Pied Piper about a general idea on the numbers for the cruise. They run some great cruises but always seem to behind the competition on getting out information in any type of timely manner.

Looks like a really beautiful condo Bill, great views, nice sized rooms, bet you are thrilled even with all the work and money involved. I bought a larger house 3 years ago (I live about an hour north of NYC), and although the money and work is a lot, I really enjoy it.

Brian, I did hear back from Dan on Friday, he said he would leave word to set up a tour, so I'll find out details once onboard.:D

Excursions planned, massages scheduled, soda card purchased, transfers arranged, hopefully only things left for most of us will be throwing some clothes, toothbrush, and a passport in a bag and hitting the airport lounge b4 our flights in the next few weeks.

John

Hi guys,

7:30 is fine with me, but if any of you are around earlier, try to find me. I will make sure I am back at the hotel by 5 or so.

Pied Piper is always vague about the numbers until right before sailing. Consider it just adding to the mystery, and something else to which to look forward! If this is your first Pied Piper cruise, I doubt you will be disappointed.

Bill, great condo! I am sure you will enjoy it for many years. Fantastic view! I just bought a home here in Palm Springs. Larger than I really needed, but buyers market and all. Great pool and spa too! Thankfully, I don't have to do a thing, just add my own personal touches. The best feature for me is a front courtyard so that my house cats now get to go outside, since they can't get past the front gate. They're loving it! (First photo before I bought it is attached, along with the kids. (Not my chair. -lol))

I've tortured myself for weeks about the premium beverage card, and decided not to get it. Since I will be off the ship in Israel for 2 full days on the Masada/Dead Sea overland tour, it really wouldn't pay for me in the long run, as I am not THAT much of a drinker to begin with anyway. I do love my coffee drinks in the cafe, though.

I better get a few things to the dry cleaner soon. I am running out of time. But that's a good thing!

Jamie

IMG_0350.jpg.321a6fff1c5a787c12b3d0dee2099f16.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg.aa1c94fb1f7a8836c50cb965f184b38c.jpg

Jaime, David, Bill, Brian's, Anyone Else

I do think the get together before the sail away will be a nice meet/greet for all of us. I know Brian had mentioned they would be over near the Colosseum, which is only 10 minutes by taxi or 30 minutes walking away from the Montecarlo. I get in about 2pm from Pague, so will check in with Jaime, once I arrive, and text/email Brian once we have a time set up. How does maybe like 7:30 sound?

Not sure why all the secrecy with Pied Piper about a general idea on the numbers for the cruise. They run some great cruises but always seem to behind the competition on getting out information in any type of timely manner.

Looks like a really beautiful condo Bill, great views, nice sized rooms, bet you are thrilled even with all the work and money involved. I bought a larger house 3 years ago (I live about an hour north of NYC), and although the money and work is a lot, I really enjoy it.

Brian, I did hear back from Dan on Friday, he said he would leave word to set up a tour, so I'll find out details once onboard.:D

Excursions planned, massages scheduled, soda card purchased, transfers arranged, hopefully only things left for most of us will be throwing some clothes, toothbrush, and a passport in a bag and hitting the airport lounge b4 our flights in the next few weeks.

John

Hi Guys,

7:30 pm sounds good (In Montecarlo lobby???). John, sounds great; I'm sure Dan will come through for you. As for the number in our group, a reliable source told me 50. Hope I didn't ruin the suspense. This is a good size group, since it is easier to get to know everyone. We arrive on Sat. 10/16 and are staying at an apartment near the Colosseum and the SAN CLEMENTE BASILICA Address: Via San Giovanni in Laterano, 210, Building A, 1st FLOOR, Apt #1. We are Brian, Donald, Rick, Jeremy, and Kevin (all single). Kevin is arriving on Wed, 10/13, and is staying at the Igea Hotel. Anyway, look forward to meeting the folks and seeing the folks from last year again. Brian S.

7:30 works for me. Yes, in the Montecarlo lobby. There are supposed to be a number of restaurants in the neighborhood, so it's time to do a bit of research.

Jamie

Hi Guys,

7:30 pm sounds good (In Montecarlo lobby???) Brian S.

Archived