Mystery Dry Docks

bilcady

I have been reading the "forum" for the last 2 years and really enjoy the subject matter. My favorite ship, "Explorer OS" is going into "dry dock" next week but I have no idea where a facility large enough to accomodate a mega ship is located. Is it right next door at Port Liberty where they have the overspray problem with the cars in the parking lot or is it just one shipyard along the East Coast that handles mega ships. Also, what can be accomplished in just 10 days. Just curious. Would like to hear any input. Do not need a schedule for other ships in the fleet.

I have been reading the "forum" for the last 2 years and really enjoy the subject matter. My favorite ship, "Explorer OS" is going into "dry dock" next week but I have no idea where a facility large enough to accomodate a mega ship is located. Is it right next door at Port Liberty where they have the overspray problem with the cars in the parking lot or is it just one shipyard along the East Coast that handles mega ships. Also, what can be accomplished in just 10 days. Just curious. Would like to hear any input. Do not need a schedule for other ships in the fleet.

freeport bahamas...

they are doing maintenence on engines/stabilizers, painting, some carpet and upholstery replacement.

nothing major, much will not be visible to guests as it will be under the ship

Whatever shipyard gives them the best price is where they're dry docked at. Besides the one in the Bahamas there are several up and down the east coast and along the golf coast that can handle a cruise ship. Before the shipyard in Baltimore closed several years ago, you would see a different cruise ship almost every several weeks, from several different lines.

I have been reading the "forum" for the last 2 years and really enjoy the subject matter. My favorite ship, "Explorer OS" is going into "dry dock" next week but I have no idea where a facility large enough to accomodate a mega ship is located...
This is where most of the ships goes to drydock http://www.gbshipyard.com/
This website says "...maximum lifting capacity of close to 90,000 tonnes. The largest of these docks can handle vessels up to 300 meters in length..."

Explorer is 311 meters long and 137,000 Gross Registry Tonnes, so will it fit? I'm asking since the answer is not obvious to me. The 311 meters may be in areas above the walls of the drydock, so Explorer's length within the drydock MIGHT fit; and the shipyard may be talking about actual tonnes and not GRTs. I bet that someone out on CC will know the answer to this.

Thom

This website says "...maximum lifting capacity of close to 90,000 tonnes. The largest of these docks can handle vessels up to 300 meters in length..."

Explorer is 311 meters long and 137,000 Gross Registry Tonnes, so will it fit? I'm asking since the answer is not obvious to me. The 311 meters may be in areas above the walls of the drydock, so Explorer's length within the drydock MIGHT fit; and the shipyard may be talking about actual tonnes and not GRTs. I bet that someone out on CC will know the answer to this.

Thom

Brochure list 150,000 GRT. http://www.gbshipyard.com/GBS-Brochure.pdf It also shows a picture of a Voyager class ship. But what about Oasis??

Archived