passenger makeup of mediterranean cruises

bethaniesmom

just saw a posting (on a different topic) that referred to one ship having more Americans than most other Mediterranean cruises this person had sailed on. just curious what the nationality of those cruises tends to be. are announcements done in several languages? we are sailing on the Jade in November. I am guessing there will be fewer children on these cruise just because it is not a typical vacation time, but will the passengers generally be a little older than say Caribbean cruises? Wondering do cruises that time of year usually sell out? just thinking!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Beverly

just saw a posting (on a different topic) that referred to one ship having more Americans than most other Mediterranean cruises this person had sailed on. just curious what the nationality of those cruises tends to be. are announcements done in several languages? we are sailing on the Jade in November. I am guessing there will be fewer children on these cruise just because it is not a typical vacation time, but will the passengers generally be a little older than say Caribbean cruises? Wondering do cruises that time of year usually sell out? just thinking!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Beverly

Beverly - Happy New Year to you too. We did cruise on the Jade late last November/December - it appeared that they mix was as follows, Americans, Spaniards and quite a few Germans - they called Bingo in English and Spanish and announcements were also made in these languages as well as German. I thought it would have been confusing with respect to shore excursions, etc. but NCL really does IMHO a good job in this area. There was a nice mix of ages (and a considerable amount of Europeans with young children ) but in no way was it primarily older folks. If you have any more questions, please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you if I can:)

The passenger nationalities can vary greatly from cruise to cruise.

On the Jade, one cruise could have a very high percentage of North Americans, and the next cruise could have a majority of Germans. I don't know why it varies so much unless the last-minute marketing to TA's is region-specific.

NCL has brought in an Asst CD or might supplement the cruise staff with German or Spanish speakers if the nationalities spike for more than one cruise. On the Jade, this would also be reflected in the announcements. The Jade seems to appeal (or is marketed to) Germans, Brits, N Americans and Spanish. Lots of other folks are represented (Japanese, Eastern Europe, etc.), but those 4 are the majorities seen time & time again.

thanks for the fast replies guys. we are really looking forward to this trip!

sailor.....is the Palma stop interesting as far as things to do, or more of a leisurely, walk around the island type stop? How was the weather in November?

Beverly

thanks for the fast replies guys. we are really looking forward to this trip!

sailor.....is the Palma stop interesting as far as things to do, or more of a leisurely, walk around the island type stop? How was the weather in November?

Beverly

Sorry Beverly - our trip did not include Palma - It was Barcelona/Rome/Athens/Turkey/Egypt and Malta. The weather in November (early December) was actually very nice (unfortunately rainy in Rome) but the other ports were "warm" to "coolish" in Barcelona

We were on Jade for the East. Med cruise late Feb- the majority of pax were US or Canadian as only certain cruises are advertised in Europe. The late-sales also seem to be to the US. There were most European countries represented, people of all ages. Several were Brits who've retired to Spain, and seem to spend their retirement catching any late cruise at amazing prices!

Palma is a big, modern city. 2 UK managed ships use this port as their home. The terminal is about a mile walk along the promenade from the shopping areas, and the "old" city, tho' the castle is quite near. Most cruises seem to use shuttle buses to the car park under the Cathedral. This is all to the right of the ship. To the left is a smaller port, where the Royal family have their summer quarters, and the beaches start.

If you're not shopping or old quarter visiting, then you'll need transport.

See also under Spain on this site.

jocap.

We were on the Jewel two summers ago in the med. There was a very wide range of nationalities. We spoke with people from Spain, England, Russia, Ireland, Wales and Japan. I only remember the announcements done in English & Spanish, though. It was a GREAT cruise, made all the better by the interaction of many cultures.

Archived