Miami neighborhoods to avoid

mmpadp

We will be driving to Miami and will arrive a day or two before our cruise (Jan. 2010). Since we will have our own vehicle, we have the flexibility to stay almost anywhere. However, I want to know which areas of town we should avoid. We are looking at moderately priced hotels and don't need to stay in the hot spot tourist areas i.e South Beach. Thanks in advance for any advice.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Bayside Market place which is a hub of activity is right across the street. I would not recommend venturing out of the Bayside Market area after dark. We were told that there is a large homeless population in the vicinity. During the day we were not approached but we stepped outside of our hotel around 11:00pm to have a cigarette and we saw several "scary type people" and they were not shy about asking for money. Needless to say we were sorry we didn't request a smoking room.LOL

Miami doesn't have a good or bad "side of town" like many large cities do. Instead, Miami has "pockets" of seedy areas that may be located in or adjacent to very upscale neighborhoods. For example, in Coral Gables there are beautiful homes owned by what appear to be wealthy people (assumption made by looking at the high-dollar cars in the driveway), and then the next street over, a street full of dumpy homes, beat up cars, and burglar bars on every door/window. It's hit or miss in Miami. The good and the bad appear to change abruptly like a line drawn in the sand with no pattern.

Places that scare me off the top of my head: Little Haiti, the neighborhoods near Jackson Memorial Hospital, anything along the working water front of the river (beyond downtown), the neighborhood just south of The Grove, anything on Krome Avenue, anything along I-95 between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Basically, you have to find a potential hotel/area and ask about that address specifically.

Basically, you have to find a potential hotel/area and ask about that address specifically.

I haven't zeroed-in on any one place yet, but I've been searching near the airport. Is that area safe? I will also try a previous poster's suggestion of Coral Gables or Coconut Grove.

mmpadp,I see your on the same cruise as me in January.I got the westin Collannade off priceline for 81 US dollars for January 22 2010.Its a very nice hotel in Coral gables and is very safe.Lots of resturants etc. around.Its 4 star and we stayed last year and love the area.

I haven't zeroed-in on any one place yet, but I've been searching near the airport. Is that area safe? I will also try a previous poster's suggestion of Coral Gables or Coconut Grove.

No, I would not say the areas around the airport are safe at all.

There is crime even in the best neighborhoods in Miami.

There are really just too many areas to list. As Angie said, pockets of it everywhere.

How is the area around The Clay? My bride to be ( this is our honeymoon) are not big on glitz and glam. The Clay just suits our tastes to a T ( as my late grandma used to say) but we also want to be safe should we venture out in the evening.

I understand that the hotel is sort of close to South Beach so we will probably venture there for a few hours after we get checked in and then back to the hotel for a shower and then check out the local area for dinner and a bit of fun. I understand that there is a swingin Spanish joint near or even in the same building as the Clay and that sounds right up our alley.

BUT if the area is not safe we will consider other options.

Also, any idea how far / how $$ a cab from The Clay to POM is?

How is the area around The Clay? My bride to be ( this is our honeymoon) are not big on glitz and glam. The Clay just suits our tastes to a T ( as my late grandma used to say) but we also want to be safe should we venture out in the evening.

I understand that the hotel is sort of close to South Beach so we will probably venture there for a few hours after we get checked in and then back to the hotel for a shower and then check out the local area for dinner and a bit of fun. I understand that there is a swingin Spanish joint near or even in the same building as the Clay and that sounds right up our alley.

BUT if the area is not safe we will consider other options.

Also, any idea how far / how $$ a cab from The Clay to POM is?

The area around The Clay is Espanola Way. Very quaint pedestrian road with shopping and dining.

Archived