Carnival Glory: July Cruise from NY - Canada

dnrcim

Hi....

I am planning my first cruise vacation with my family this July. I was looking at a cruise from NY to Canada via Carnival Glory. My girls are 7 and 4. I can't seem to find any info about this cruise on the message boards. Can anyone help? Children's activities, food, cabins, rough waters, temps, meds for adults and kids so we don't get sea sick...

Thanks in advance:)

This will be Glory's first season doing this itinerary. Last year Triumph was doing cruises from NYC. Try searching for reviews of Triumph .

Glory is a great ship. Similar to Triumph, but newer and slightly larger with more amenities.

Have a great cruise!!

We did a cruise to St. John and Halifax, Canada two summers ago on Victory. So you can try searching for Victory cruises to get an idea. If you go to the Canada board in the Ports of Call forum you will find tons of info about the ports. We went in August and the waters were mild for the most part, but we did have one incident with mild seasickness on the way back... nothing a bonine didn't cure. We bring bonine and dramamine with us just incase we feel ill, but for the most part we are lucky enough not to be effected. The temperature while on the water was a little cool actually with alot of fog. Expect fog! Once we got to St. John the locals were saying that we brought the good weather with us. It was probably about 85 that day.

We did this cruise four times on Victory. The only time we hit rough seas was when we sailed through the remnants of a tropical storm - other than that, all of our cruises were smooth sailing. I have three reviews posted in the "cruise reviews" section under Victory. Sailing out of New York is a great experience - as you sail out, Manhattan will be to your left, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to your right. About 45 minutes to an hour after you sail, you will sail under the Verrazano bridge. Go up to one of the highest decks as you sail under.

Kids' activities - Your 4 YO will be the Camp Carnival 2-5 group and your 7 YO will be in the Camp Carnival 6-8 group. If you go over to the "family cruises" board, Crusinmama 06 has links to Camp Carnival schedules in her signature - the activities are fairly uniform across the fleet, so those schedules will give you an idea of what types of activities they have. There is a Camp Carnival dinner available in the Lido deck restaurant every night except the first, if your kids would prefer that to the main dining room - however, there is a kids' menu available in the main dining room, and my kids have always enjoyed having dinner with us instead of with Camp Carnival.

Temperatures and ports - Weather is a bit unpredictable. We've done this cruise when it's sunny and warm, other times cloudy and cool (sometimes during the same cruise). You'll want to pack for both - a light jacket or sweatshirt should be fine. It may be foggy - if it is, the ship's horn will sound every few minutes. It's loud - just don't be startled. Saint John NB is a nice city; the first time we went, we took the kids on one of the horse-drawn trolleys for a downtown tour. Halifax (if you're on the five-day cruise) is one of my favorite cities. You'll find lots for the kids right along the boardwalk, within walking distance of the ship. My kids especially enjoyed the Theodore Tugboat harbor tour (well, my youngest enjoyed it) and the Harbour Hopper duck boat tour (that's what the older two did with their dad while I took youngest on Theodore).

Carnival Glory - We sailed Glory on a Caribbean itinerary. The most important thing to remember about navigating this class of ship is that decks 3 and 4 do not go through from one end of the ship to the other, because they're divided by one of the dining rooms and the galley. Deck 5 (Promenade) is the main deck that goes through. The Emerald Room supper club is fantastic - it's an extra $30 per person, but well worth it (this might be a night to let the kids have dinner with Camp Carnival:)).

I have photos of three of our Canada cruises, as well as from Glory, online at http://community.webshots.com/user/nybumpkin. Hope this helps!

We did this cruise four times on Victory. The only time we hit rough seas was when we sailed through the remnants of a tropical storm - other than that, all of our cruises were smooth sailing. I have three reviews posted in the "cruise reviews" section under Victory. Sailing out of New York is a great experience - as you sail out, Manhattan will be to your left, the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island to your right. About 45 minutes to an hour after you sail, you will sail under the Verrazano bridge. Go up to one of the highest decks as you sail under.

Kids' activities - Your 4 YO will be the Camp Carnival 2-5 group and your 7 YO will be in the Camp Carnival 6-8 group. If you go over to the "family cruises" board, Crusinmama 06 has links to Camp Carnival schedules in her signature - the activities are fairly uniform across the fleet, so those schedules will give you an idea of what types of activities they have. There is a Camp Carnival dinner available in the Lido deck restaurant every night except the first, if your kids would prefer that to the main dining room - however, there is a kids' menu available in the main dining room, and my kids have always enjoyed having dinner with us instead of with Camp Carnival.

Temperatures and ports - Weather is a bit unpredictable. We've done this cruise when it's sunny and warm, other times cloudy and cool (sometimes during the same cruise). You'll want to pack for both - a light jacket or sweatshirt should be fine. It may be foggy - if it is, the ship's horn will sound every few minutes. It's loud - just don't be startled. Saint John NB is a nice city; the first time we went, we took the kids on one of the horse-drawn trolleys for a downtown tour. Halifax (if you're on the five-day cruise) is one of my favorite cities. You'll find lots for the kids right along the boardwalk, within walking distance of the ship. My kids especially enjoyed the Theodore Tugboat harbor tour (well, my youngest enjoyed it) and the Harbour Hopper duck boat tour (that's what the older two did with their dad while I took youngest on Theodore).

Carnival Glory - We sailed Glory on a Caribbean itinerary. The most important thing to remember about navigating this class of ship is that decks 3 and 4 do not go through from one end of the ship to the other, because they're divided by one of the dining rooms and the galley. Deck 5 (Promenade) is the main deck that goes through. The Emerald Room supper club is fantastic - it's an extra $30 per person, but well worth it (this might be a night to let the kids have dinner with Camp Carnival:)).

I have photos of three of our Canada cruises, as well as from Glory, online at http://community.webshots.com/user/nybumpkin. Hope this helps!

Great Pictures!!!

Were you in a Cat 12 on the Glory?

Thanks for all the great info...Awesome pics too!!!!!

This will be Glory's first season doing this itinerary. Last year Triumph was doing cruises from NYC. Try searching for reviews of Triumph .

Glory is a great ship. Similar to Triumph, but newer and slightly larger with more amenities.

Have a great cruise!!

Thanks for the info...I thought I was looking in the wrong place.

Go Yankees :)

We did a cruise to St. John and Halifax, Canada two summers ago on Victory. So you can try searching for Victory cruises to get an idea. If you go to the Canada board in the Ports of Call forum you will find tons of info about the ports. We went in August and the waters were mild for the most part, but we did have one incident with mild seasickness on the way back... nothing a bonine didn't cure. We bring bonine and dramamine with us just incase we feel ill, but for the most part we are lucky enough not to be effected. The temperature while on the water was a little cool actually with alot of fog. Expect fog! Once we got to St. John the locals were saying that we brought the good weather with us. It was probably about 85 that day.

Thanks for the sickness info....and the fog info. Didn't even think of that!

Actually, sailing through fog is pretty neat. When I did the 4-day itinerary in July, the weather was warm enough for pool use. It's very bizarre to be in the pool in peasoup fog. as somebody else noted, it's loud too!!

Archived