Advice needed for Alaska cruise/tours

jonistrong

you have made a great choice in choosing alaska for a cruise. go too the reveiws and read up on what others have to say about their cruise and which ship they were on and what activities they did. also the best place to be here on the boards is in the alaska thread. also the west coast thread will give you lots of info on what port others are leavingi from what too do there before and after the cruise. there are many choices and the research will really keep you busy but i know you will have a great cruise. the ship depends on what line you like, the itinerary, how long you want to be in the ports and what your budget for a alaska cruise experience is. have a great time.

you have made a great choice in choosing alaska for a cruise. go too the reveiws and read up on what others have to say about their cruise and which ship they were on and what activities they did. also the best place to be here on the boards is in the alaska thread. also the west coast thread will give you lots of info on what port others are leavingi from what too do there before and after the cruise. there are many choices and the research will really keep you busy but i know you will have a great cruise. the ship depends on what line you like, the itinerary, how long you want to be in the ports and what your budget for a alaska cruise experience is. have a great time.

My wife and I went on the Golden Princess, out of Seattle. We took the inside passage. tI was our first cruise and we loved it.

Hugh

My wife and I went on the Golden Princess, out of Seattle. We took the inside passage. tI was our first cruise and we loved it.

Hugh

im glad you had a great cruise. are you planning to go again. i dont think anyone who has only gone once can say they wont go back ;)

If you can afford it I think a cruisetour is the way to go. We went on RCI in 2008 - 5 days on land starting in Fairbanks and then 7 day cruise on the Radiance of the Seas. Fantastic scenery. Best way is southbound with the land portion first because it's busy and you're living out of your suitcase. Then unpack and kick back on the ship.

I don't think it matters which cruise line - Alaska is all about the itinerary. Check the Alaska board here for a lot of really good info. Most of the port towns are small and walkable without going on excursions. Although to see whales you'll probably have to take an excursion - Harv & Marv in Juneau were great. You have to book them independently - much nicer with 6 people on the boat instead of 100 or more with a ship's excursion.

My pics of our trip:

We were on the Coral Princess in July of '08 and LOVED our trip! The cruise was simply wonderful (great ports, scenery). However, the BIG highlight was the cruise tour we took before the cruise. We did Denali, Fairbanks, and then a 2 day trip up the Dalton Hwy through Coldfoot to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay). Simply FASCINATING! The cruise lines who do this tour are very limited, but Princess does have the tour. I can't describe how fantastic it was. If you don't mind RUSTIC accommodations for two nights and want to really see what a wilderness really is, please consider this!

Archived