Port Said

Ballater

It is a very full day, but worth it. The drive from Port Said to Cairo is around 3 hours. The coaches usually travel in convoy with armed guards. I did an excursion (not Cunard), which included a walk around medieval Cairo, the Menial palace, lunch on a felucca on the Nile and then to Giza for the Pyramids. We left around 7am and got back to the ship at port Said at about 10pm, but it remains one of my most memorable and wonderful days.

It is a very full day, but worth it. The drive from Port Said to Cairo is around 3 hours. The coaches usually travel in convoy with armed guards. I did an excursion (not Cunard), which included a walk around medieval Cairo, the Menial palace, lunch on a felucca on the Nile and then to Giza for the Pyramids. We left around 7am and got back to the ship at port Said at about 10pm, but it remains one of my most memorable and wonderful days.

I'm not sure what your options are, but certainly would suggest that the Pyramids are one of those "must do" sights - even though it is important not to expect to see them as being in the middle of the desert!

I would have suggested that the rest of the day would be better spent at the Cairo Museum. The treasures they have there are beyond comprehension - remember the Tutankhamen treasures are but one small wing, albeit that they are the highlight. But remember that you can see Ramses II himself, as well as other funeral masks (Psusennes' mask was impressive).

The funeral mask of Tutankhamen is one of the most stunningly beautiful objects I have seen. The inner coffin, of solid gold, is also incredibly beautiful.

Excursions to Memphis and Sakkara (which can be spelt so many ways!) are fascinating, but are nothing set against the Cairo Museum and Giza itself.

You'll be unlikely to get into the Great Pyramid on a tour, but if you have the chance, grab it. It is incredibly hard work, but very much worth it.

We had gone to Egypt in Nov /08 with the QV. We had done an overnight with a tour company, not Cunard. Which was a mistake. At the Pyramids, don't miss the Funeral Barge of the Kufu, which is in its own building at the base of the Great Pyramid. A 4000+ year old boat of cedar discovered in the 1950s, reassembled and now on display. Amazing! Most certainly the Cario Museum. The Tut display is a must see. Just before going through the enterance of the Pyramid/Sphynix complex, do a 180 turn and have a close look. You will see how close 'civilization" has come to the site.

If you also go the Alexandria, the new library is a must see. We thought Alexandria was a much cleaner and more tourist friendly city than Cairo. A gem in its own right.

I'm not sure what your options are, but certainly would suggest that the Pyramids are one of those "must do" sights - even though it is important not to expect to see them as being in the middle of the desert!

I would have suggested that the rest of the day would be better spent at the Cairo Museum. The treasures they have there are beyond comprehension - remember the Tutankhamen treasures are but one small wing, albeit that they are the highlight. But remember that you can see Ramses II himself, as well as other funeral masks (Psusennes' mask was impressive).

The funeral mask of Tutankhamen is one of the most stunningly beautiful objects I have seen. The inner coffin, of solid gold, is also incredibly beautiful.

Excursions to Memphis and Sakkara (which can be spelt so many ways!) are fascinating, but are nothing set against the Cairo Museum and Giza itself.

You'll be unlikely to get into the Great Pyramid on a tour, but if you have the chance, grab it. It is incredibly hard work, but very much worth it.

For a first-timer to Pt. Said/Cairo, I so agree with this itinerary. We went two years ago and did a ship excursion to the above.

Going back to Egypt at the end of this month on another Med cruise. We'll return to the pyramids/sphinx for another visit but will fore-go the museum for a felucca sail and bazaar.

If you also go the Alexandria, the new library is a must see. We thought Alexandria was a much cleaner and more tourist friendly city than Cairo. A gem in its own right.

I liked Alexandria too. However, and not wishing to say anything against it at all, I don't think anyone should consider going to Alexandria instead of Cairo.

I have not been to Egypt by ship, but have spent two weeks there - a week on the Nile and then (separately) a week in Cairo.

If I may ask a related question . . . are the pyramids/sphinx far removed from Cairo?

I have to admit, I have always pictured them as sitting out in a remote desert somewhere . . .

Thanks

Very, very close.

Archived