Amtrak to New Orleans

Ocean Spirit

It is a great idea.

However as a past Amtrak rider train delays can be a common thing.

Going a day early would be a MUST do.

Train depot to port is NOT walkable.

Any hotel down town would be OK to the port the next day via a cab.

Problem would be trying to return via train upon end of cruise. Cab drivers at the port only want to go to the airport and no where else most of the time. So getting from the port to the train station will probably be a big problem at the end of the cruise.

We have done the NOL-CHI trip many times. The train is usually on-time but I would arrive the day before your cruise. However, I would think you should be ok leaving on the train the same day you return as the train doesn't depart NOL until 1:55. Union Station is several blocks away from the port; too far to walk but much closer than the airport.

Just remember to relax on the train, just like the cruise. A sleeper room is a must on the train if you are traveling overnight. The further in advance you book, the cheaper the price will be. The room includes all of your meals in the dinning car too. We last traveled this route in December and the food was excellent. Traveling by Amtrak is so much more relaxing than flying.

Edited by Genesis803

Hi there Merg55!! I'm also from the Memphis area!

I can't recall the cruiser from Memphis in October that took Amtrack round trip from Memphis for their cruise. They posted photos and gave a good review.

I'm sailing on the Triumph in April and while I'm flying down to New Orleans, I'm taking the train back to Memphis.

The rate for the one way was very good. For the two of us, the total is $140!! We also got a roomette included in that total. We like the fact that you can check up to three bags each (great for shopping!!) and carry two carryons!!!

I will post pictures and a review from my train trip on this board!!

I will try to backtrack that review also!

• 1 year later...

I guess it's a good idea I always wanted to take the train, to see the country and all that. Amtrak from Chi town and N.O. is $225 round trip (ball park figure ) It's a 19 hr trip both ways if you don't mind sleeping in you seat that's OK but you might wand a sleeper and that will kick up to around $500. I wanted to take the train to FLA for a cruise. had to arrive the day before which means hotel and all that stuff. What ever you just have a great cruise.

I took the train from B'ham AL last month to New Orleans. The seats are like the ones in first class airlines. There is a plug in at each row if you need to plug in something. I enjoyed the ride but my wife didn't. She smokes and there wasn't any smoke stops on our trip.

• 2 weeks later...
In June, my entire family is taking an Amtrak adventure from Los Angeles to NOLA. We have a 2 bedroom suite booked. I've never done this before, but will do a review afterwards.:D

Do post a review after your trip. We are thinking of taking the train to NYC from NOLA after our cruise. It is next October (2012) so flight schedules and Amtrak prices are not even up yet.

Edited by Arzeena

• 3 years later...

For those who took Amtrak POST cruise out of New Orleans, did you have any trouble getting to the station after you debarked the ship? Were cabs available or did they not want to take you as the previous poster said?

If you have a review of the train trip, will you please post the link of it?

Edited by ciship