Fitness Center Equipment on NOS

Good Afternoon All,

My boyfriend and I are planning our first cruise *together* on the Navigator in February (I've cruised several times before, but this will be his *first*-- we're SO excited!)

My question is.. can someone give me some additional information about the fitness center on the NOS? Specifically, the weight machines, free weights, equipment types, etc.. My cruising partner lifts weights several times a week, and I'm concerned he won't find the fitness center to be what he is used to.. will he be able to get in a good workout in the morning (while I"m sleeping IN! LOL!)?? The amount of "weight" available is of particular interest.

Any specifics you could provide would be greatly appreciated.. and any photos would be a huge BONUS!

Thanks in advance!

JandC

I'm interested in finding this out, too, as we'll be on the ship in 2 weeks. I have used the gym in the past on the ships but have only ever used the treadmills. For the last couple of months I have been using my stairmaster (need to get my legs in shape for climbing all of those stairs... no elevators for me!) and Bowflex. I'm pretty sure there aren't any Bowflex machines on board but am hoping there are machines that will provide a similar workout (I don't use a lot of weight, so I'm sure that won't be an issue). I hope there are stairmasters (or something like them) on board, too?

Ah, cruisers after my own heart! I use the fitness ctr every day on cruises. On NOS, I recall: free wts, I only use the 5 & 10# but I note that there are 25 and I don't know how high, they are the rubber coated kind. They have the typical circuit machines, but only one or 2 of each. They have the elyptical/step. Lots of treadmills. Stationary (of course!) bikes-lots of them. The floor is there for stretching and there are pads. I use 2 to do my Pilates. They have towels, wipes, water, and nice that they have sauna and showers & lockers. I am almost certain about this (sauna and showers) on NOS bec I just would go to get coffee after and bring it to my blissfully sleeping hubbie and shower in the cabin. There is the deck to run/walk too if you need to get out. It is slightly cool in there. The only thing is some ships (can't remember about NOS) play some slightly obnoxious music too loud. Bring your ipod or such bec there is little in the way of tv/music on the treadmills as I recall. They have some free classes & some you pay. Any other questions? Oh, I am sure you don't want to wear your crocs and jeans in there. Believe me, I've seen it. LOL.

I'm interested in finding this out, too, as we'll be on the ship in 2 weeks. I have used the gym in the past on the ships but have only ever used the treadmills. For the last couple of months I have been using my stairmaster (need to get my legs in shape for climbing all of those stairs... no elevators for me!) and Bowflex. I'm pretty sure there aren't any Bowflex machines on board but am hoping there are machines that will provide a similar workout (I don't use a lot of weight, so I'm sure that won't be an issue). I hope there are stairmasters (or something like them) on board, too?

Oh C2C, I just re-read your question. There is, what I call the butterfly circuit trng type machines among other circuit machines. The one where you sit & pull the bar down and there are weights attached. Then the one that you push with your legs, one you bring your arms/elbows together for your pecs, etc-circuit eqt. And, yes lots of those step or elyptical you know the kind that you use to build up those ski muscles. And there are steps, the kind you can stack. I am happy with the fitness centers. And, go early if you can. I find 6 is great. I know, it's early. But by 9 it's pretty full. And I always notice that every day there are less participants. hmmmmm.

I was on sister ship Voyager last spring. Lots of Lifefitness machines of all types. (Treadmills, Ellipticals, Stationary Bikes). It is just a little smaller than my local Bally's, but much cleaner and well maintianed. I will confess that I only made it up there once in the seven days. :o

I don't know what your boyfriend requires for a good workout. If he wants the machines that you add plates to (such as 35 pounds, 45 pounds or ten or five pound plates) for a customized weight regime, NOS does not have those. It doesn't have the squat machines you add weight plates to, for example. It also doesn't have really sophisticated stations with pullies.

NOS also does not have Smith machines for squats and barbells that you add weight plates to. Free weights do not go up really high. I think the reason is that on a ship, dropping really humongous weights could be problematic.

NOS does have a variety of excellent, well-maintained Nautilus-type machines, but I don't recall the particular brand. I know they do have leg press machines, inner and outer thigh machines, chest press, I think a back machine, arm and shoulder machines such as biceps and triceps machines and an abs machine. I forget what else. I don't think there was a calf machine. I never felt I was missing out on a much-needed machine. I am not a body builder though nor am I a power lifter.

There are also recumbent bikes, treadmills and ellipticals. There is no stair-climber machine

For additional workouts, there is the deck jogging trail and my son's favorite, running up and down all flights of stairs for several trips, better than any stair-climber machine.

Also there are special classes for yoga and aerobic classes (extra charge) and I think there are spinning bike classes (but I may be thinking of Freedom Class gyms.

Royal Caribbean gyms are clean and well supervised. Most have an excellent view too...except on Oasis.

Royal Caribbean gyms are clean and well supervised. Most have an excellent view too...except on Oasis.

Ditto that... On my 2002 cruise on the Explorer, I woke up early enough to do the treadmill as we were pulling in to Labadee... absolutely gorgeous! Can't think of a gym that has a better view! :)

I have used the fitness centers on Splendour, Monarch, and Independence. I can second what others have said. I typically concentrate on cardio -- using elipticals and treadmills and I have found the machines to be of good quality and in good repair. I don't use the weight machines but they looked typical. Not much in the way of free weights for obvious reasons [ships motion may result in dropping]. Facilities are not an excuse not to work out.

Archived