Bus Info Please

gebo

The public buses in Barbados are operated by the Transport Board. Their website is at http://www.transportboard.com (it needs improvement).

The buses to Crane Beach depart from the Fairchild Street bus terminal. From the port walk straight out onto Princess Alice Highway into downtown Bridgetown. Go past Heroes Square, turn right onto Bridge Street, cross over the bridge, and the bus terminal will be on the left just before Fairchild Street. You'll probably want to take route 12A.

The fare is BBD 1.50 (equal to USD 0.75).

As with all transportation there are sometimes accidents where individuals get hurt. But overall the bus service is reasonably safe.

Buses return along the same route to the Fairchild Street bus terminal.

Buses operate about every 30 minutes. See the website for details.

Just returned from a great cruise - Carnival Victory.

I was also planning to take public transportation on the islands both to save money (there were 4 of us) and to experience the local life. However, once we were there, we changed our mind and took a taxi to the beach. As there was only limited time for the day trip, it seemed that our very precious beach time was wasted on walking to the bus stop and trying to figure out the right bus and also waiting for the bus to drop off other passengers along the way. I think taking a taxi is most efficient if you want to hit the beach.

We had a great time last year, walking about 10 minutes through town to the local bus depot. We were probably the only tourists waiting in line, had no troulble finding the right bus, and enjoyed the ride to Accra beach. On the way back, we waited for a while at the bus stop, but actually ended up hopping on another type of bus that just drives by, with a driver and a guy who looks for people needing a ride. All locals--I still remember how carefully the attendant helped a pregnant mother and her child onto the bus. Then we walked back to the terminal, and stopped at Pelican craft village near the pier---I'll bet this was crowded earlier in the day, but almost deserted when we were there.

Have fun what ever you do!

I was also planning to take public transportation on the islands both to save money (there were 4 of us) and to experience the local life. However, once we were there, we changed our mind and took a taxi to the beach. As there was only limited time for the day trip, it seemed that our very precious beach time was wasted on walking to the bus stop and trying to figure out the right bus and also waiting for the bus to drop off other passengers along the way. I think taking a taxi is most efficient if you want to hit the beach.

From the Fairchild Street bus terminal there should be no great difficulty in finding the correct route since there is an information window within the terminal at which one can make enquiry. But it is true that a taxi will be quicker than a bus, and if the speed alone is the only interest then go by taxi. If you use the bus you'll likely save money and probably experience Barbados as more as the locals would experience it.

if you don,t want to lie on a beach all day and want to explore, take the yellow buses along the West Coast Highway to Holetown or even as far as Speightstown, stop off at Paynes Bay, a lovely beach next door to Sandy Lane, there is a public footpath access at the north end of the beach which I am sure the bus operator will point out to you if you ask,(all beaches on Barbados are public access, it's just a matter of finding the footpath).

you can walk along the beach from Paynes Bay to Sandy Lane, even as far as Holetown, although it can be a bit tricky in a couple of places if the tide is in or the sea is rough, but you can always find your way out onto the road, Highway 1 and catch another bus.

The Blue buses are the corporate buses and run to a timetable and only stop at designated stops, the yellow buses are indie's and will stop anywhere, they are frequent along this road and give a tootle on the horn to ask if you want them to stop, they can get full at busy times but will always try to cram on another fare, some of them have music playing (loud).

The terminus for the Yellow buses is just along from the cruise terminal, at Google Earth ref. 13,05,54,17N, 59,37,17,51W, just off Princess Alice Highway.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the bus back from Paynes Bay. There is no such thing as a full bus. We stood and were jammed in like sardines. If you are going to take the bus, don"t do it when the kids are getting out of school. We have used the bus in other islands and will never do it again in Barbados.

We took the bus back from Paynes Bay. There is no such thing as a full bus. We stood and were jammed in like sardines. If you are going to take the bus, don"t do it when the kids are getting out of school. We have used the bus in other islands and will never do it again in Barbados.

We have found the schoolchildren in Barbados to be polite & courteous, especially to visitors, they are well dressed & well behaved. I am ashamed to look at the scruffy little insolent rude kids here in the UK. If a bus is full wait for the next one.

We took the bus back from Paynes Bay. There is no such thing as a full bus. ===> Sweeet!:D

We stood and were jammed in like sardines.

If you are going to take the bus, don"t do it when the kids are getting out of school.

We have used the bus in other islands, and will never do it again in Barbados.

I keep tellin y'all -pay for a taxi and avoid a whole bunch of 'local' hassle! ;)

If you're staying on the island and have several days to do whatever

that's when you have the time to experiment with the local bus system

(at less-than-peak period) and might actually do quite well, by it!

But for cruisers with just 6-8 hrs. ashore, I wish you luck!

And yet some seem to do OK on straightforward routes like up/down the West Coast and maybe to/from Rockley

Band together with other couples of like mind

and think of filling a multi-seater van to get a decently-reduced rate, per person or per van.

Have him come back for you and don't pay til he returns.

That guarantees him two jobs, and you guys reliable transport

When you approach a taxi driver (on any island) as a group of ten

you guys are a significant bump in his economy for that day.

You should be able to get a group of eight to ten together on your ship on your cruise??

We have used the bus both times we were on Barbados. First time we spent 15 $ each for a taxi ride to Folkestone, then .75 each for a bus ride back. Second time we took the bus to Folkestone, then got back on the bus and took it to the northern (?) corner of the island. It was a Holiday there so most everything was closed. But we had an ECELLENT time on that bus ride. We saw so muchback country and so many cute houses, farms, buildings and met some wonderful people on the bus. It took us about 3 hours from when we got on the bus to when we got back to the port, but it was fun!. Get a bus route map and check with the driver to make sure that bus is going to what you are pointing to. Give yourself a few extra hours from what you think it will take if you want to do what we did. Folkestone Park is a really nice park with and old church (I think it was built in the 16's) and a beach you can walk along and snorkel at. We are excited to take the kids there, get on the bus and go the other way next time.

I keep tellin y'all -pay for a taxi and avoid a whole bunch of 'local' hassle! ;)

If you're staying on the island and have several days to do whatever

that's when you have the time to experiment with the local bus system

(at less-than-peak period) and might actually do quite well, by it!

But for cruisers with just 6-8 hrs. ashore, I wish you luck!

And yet some seem to do OK on straightforward routes like up/down the West Coast and maybe to/from Rockley

Band together with other couples of like mind

and think of filling a multi-seater van to get a decently-reduced rate, per person or per van.

Have him come back for you and don't pay til he returns.

That guarantees him two jobs, and you guys reliable transport

When you approach a taxi driver (on any island) as a group of ten

you guys are a significant bump in his economy for that day.

You should be able to get a group of eight to ten together on your ship on your cruise??

Aplmac, I know you live on the island and I have greatly admired all your wonderful pictures. We have taken a taxi in the past when we couldn't find the bus terminal. It did save time but we feel that we miss so much of the culture doing so. Barbados is the one of the few islands that we feel safe enough to explore on island transport. Can someone answer these 2 questions? Can Accra beach be reached by a bus from Princess Alice terminal, and if so, what bus #? Secondly, isn't Paynes the beach where you can snorkel to see the turtles and if so, what bus # from Princess Alice would you take? Barbados! Can't wait!

Aplmac, I know you live on the island and I have greatly admired all your wonderful pictures. We have taken a taxi in the past when we couldn't find the bus terminal. It did save time but we feel that we miss so much of the culture doing so. Barbados is the one of the few islands that we feel safe enough to explore on island transport. Can someone answer these 2 questions? Can Accra beach be reached by a bus from Princess Alice terminal, and if so, what bus #? Secondly, isn't Paynes the beach where you can snorkel to see the turtles and if so, what bus # from Princess Alice would you take? Barbados! Can't wait!

Just want to give this a bump seeing as there is so much interest in Accra Beach

Can Accra beach be reached by a bus from Princess Alice terminal, ===> No.

Secondly, isn't Paynes the beach where you can snorkel to see the turtles ===> Yes.

and if so, what bus # from Princess Alice would you take? ===> Ask a local

Aplmac has his own car, and hasn't taken a bus in decades! ;)

and so won't be of much help,here..but..

I can tell you the fare island-wide is Bds.$1.50 = US$ 0.75 (75 cents)..Your Money.

The Princess Alice terminal is the one closest to the Port (200-300 yds.?)

and is the terminal you'll want if you're heading for West Coast and Paynes Bay

but you'll need to walk across town, thru and past the main shopping area of Broad Street

to get to the Fairchild Street bus terminal on the other side of town

where the bus to Accra and beyond (any one of about 2 or 3 route-numbers do pass that way)

takes off from there, at Fairchild Street.

It may be cost-efficient to consider bus-ing it one way

and taxi-ing it the other.

Whether you want to taxi there (to get your beach day off to a quick start)

and bus it back --or vice versa-- is up to you.

Aplmac has his own car, and hasn't taken a bus in decades! ;)

and so won't be of much help,here..but..

I can tell you the fare island-wide is Bds.$1.50 = US$ 0.75 (75 cents)..Your Money.

The Princess Alice terminal is the one closest to the Port (200-300 yds.?)

and is the terminal you'll want if you're heading for West Coast and Paynes Bay

but you'll need to walk across town, thru and past the main shopping area of Broad Street

to get to the Fairchild Street bus terminal on the other side of town

where the bus to Accra and beyond (any one of about 2 or 3 route-numbers do pass that way)

takes off from there, at Fairchild Street.

It may be cost-efficient to consider bus-ing it one way

and taxi-ing it the other.

Whether you want to taxi there (to get your beach day off to a quick start)

and bus it back --or vice versa-- is up to you.

Well, for someone who has his own car, Alpmac is quite resourceful. I was afraid it was one of those can't get there from here type of things. You are right about taking the taxi to the beach and maybe a bus back into town for some shopping before leaving again. How long of a walk back to the ship from downtown? Approximately 20 mintues?

Well, for someone who has his own car,

Alpmac is quite resourceful. ===> lived here for 58+ years.. :D

How long of a walk back to the ship from downtown? Approximately 20 mintues?

Yes, about 20 mins. back to the ship from the downtown area

-just follow all the other cruisers. ;)

Do the buses accept US 75 cents or only local currency?
Foreign currency COINS are totally useless here on the island

(and on the other islands, too, I'm fairly sure).

Paper bills are where it's at!

Stick a U.S.$1-bill (per person) in the guy's hand and forget about the change

or be prepared to get back 2 of our local quarters.

Walk with lots of 'Small Money'. One's, Fives, Tens..

Archived