Monte Cristo Sandwich - Veal Oscar, etc.

gehrandt

Has anyone special ordered something like a Monte Cristo sandwich at Cagneys? Or a special dish like Veal Oscar at the MD (asking ahead of time)? I had seen posts where you could request things that were not on the menu.

Also, do they served Yorkshire pudding with the Prime Rib?

I doubt they would know what a Monte Cristo sandwich is (If you want one I recommend eating at any diner in NJ:D), and you are not going to be able to get an entirely different off-menu entree such as Veal Oscar. I'm not sure what you might have read that would give you the impression you could order something like Veal Oscar.

I doubt they would know what a Monte Cristo sandwich is (If you want one I recommend eating at any diner in NJ:D), and you are not going to be able to get an entirely different off-menu entree such as Veal Oscar. I'm not sure what you might have read that would give you the impression you could order something like Veal Oscar.

On second thought, the deepest recesses of my mind have a vague recollection of a Monte Cristo sandwich being offered on the lunch menu of some cruise ship at sometime...maybe NCL.:confused:

My mouth is watering - if we ever do run into one out here they are usually grilled rather then deep fried :( and they look at you strangely when you ask for strawberry preserves with it.

Personally, I wouldn't eat one regardless of how it's cooked.

While they will go to great lengths to please passengers, they cannot be expected to make dishes that are completely off the menus. Most often, the special dishes are made for those who have food allergies or other dietary needs or because it was something already offered on another day/night (i.e., shrimp cocktail). (They also will not serve passengers lobster tail on nights other than those designated for it.)

You can request Veal Oscar or a Monte Cristo (yum, if prepered correctly), but even if you ask in advance, there is almost no chance they will prepare it for you. If they did things like that, they'd be spending all day and night catering invidivual meals to 2,000 passengers who all want different things. They simply aren't set up to do that, not even in the small specialty restaurants.

beachchick

Too funny: we were watching a recorded Mad Men episode last week where a Monte Cristo sandwich was ordered in a fancy restaurant. Although we had vaguely heard of it, neither of us knew what it was. I don't recall ever seeing it on a menu--it must be a regional New Jersey sandwich?

I doubt they would know what a Monte Cristo sandwich is (If you want one I recommend eating at any diner in NJ:D)

Archived