Carribean Cruise from San Juan - Fishing?

Embracedbylife

We are considering a cruise out of San Juan that stops at Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas. Princess does not offer any type of fishing excursions so i'm trying to figure out our own fishing tours. Any suggestions on which ports are the best for fishing? I've already searched the port boards but didn't see a whole lot. Thanks!

We are considering a cruise out of San Juan that stops at Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas. Princess does not offer any type of fishing excursions so i'm trying to figure out our own fishing tours. Any suggestions on which ports are the best for fishing? I've already searched the port boards but didn't see a whole lot. Thanks!

On the Princess website I believe there is a place to look at shore excursions for each port.

I know they do offer private sport fishing excursions in pretty much all of the ports.

I was able to check out the princess shore excursions but unfortunately the do not offer any fishing at these ports of call. I'm considering private outfitters but not sure which ports are the best for fishing? I'll check out Aruba. Any other ideas?

I think the further south ports of Aruba/Bonaire would be your best bet.

hello, we are going to be doing a fishing trip 1/2 day bonefishing in Feb. prior to your cruise. Piscatur fishing Capt. Chris Morkos in Bonaire.

He also offers deep sea fishing. Great fair price and make sure you tip and are aware of how much guides get. I will start a thread after Valentines day about the fishing trip for you as I am not sure you can email me privately. There is not alot of fishing out of San Juan, however other parts of the island offer it, would probably not have time. We are trying to figure out if there is a private place on Princess Cays where we could find some bone fish, they are in the area.

St. Thomas would be great for deep sea fishing -do not know guides.

We have fished in this area three times on cruises. Our best trips have been with Teaser/Kenny's Toy out of Aruba http://www.teasercharters.com/about/. We also had a nice trip (but no fish) on a charter out of St Lucia on the Xiphias Seeker http://www.worldwidefishing.com/stlucia/b2955/index.html?page_type=salt&state_page=stlucia&company=Serenity+Vacations+and+Tours.

The charter rates are about the same running about $400 for a 1/2 day total for the boat, crew, and all equipment. This is much less than at most other ports.

I hope this helps and good fishing to you.

dominica , Antigua, Greneda and Barbados all year (sailfish Marlin runs)

and Costa Rica (sept to dec)(sailfish Marlin runs)

Bahamas to Dominican republic from July to January (sailfish Marlin runs)

with Aruba,, its too south for the Marlins that uses the ocean currents from Africa to travel. Under currents are over 60mphr and much cooler in the depths of the Ocean far above Aruba/

I'll be sure to post our report when we return!! :) I'm quite excited it's just me and hubby with the boat, so we have more chance of getting the line when it hits rather than sharing it with 2 others, so i'm excited and hopeful. I'll let you know! We went fishing in San Juan last year and only caught a barricuda - kinda a flop, but it was still fun being out there!

The two of us always do a private charter during our cruises. It is so much more fun and the price often is less than that charged by a ship sponsored fishing trip for 6 people.

In Aruba we have used Teaser/Kenny's Toy twice and although we have not caught any bill fish we have caught fish each trip (Wahoo and Mahi Mahi). The guys try very hard for the full four hours.

We tried another charter boat in Aruba during our November cruise. We were skunked and felt they did not try hard at all and cut the trip short.

We think you will enjoy the Teaser/Kenny's Toy charter. They have nice boats and they work hard. Remember it is called fishing and not catching for a reason.

Good luck.

P&J

Archived