Dominica on your own?

ColleenThomas

We are a large group (4-5 families), trying to economize our vacation when possible. Due to the port intensive cruise we are doing on the Carnival Victory, the cost of tours can really add up!

Is there any place, like a national park, that we could go on our own that would be cheaper than booking tours? I know that this island is known for it's natural beauty as opposed to the beach scene, so where could we go that would be both fun and economical?

Thanks for any input!!:)

There a very few roads in Dominica and I would not drive them. Very narrow and twisting. Very few shoulders to the roads and guardrails. One can easily miss the ship on the way back. We did a canopy tour and thought we traveled quite far but actually according to the map, not far at all!! Don't bother with the botanical garden.

I guess I should be more clear.....I am just wondering if there are places to go without a formal tour....like a national park, etc....but take a taxi, not drive ourselves...

If that is not the case, could anyone recommend something for such a large group of us? Are there tours for groups of 20?

We are interested in a hike (not too hard), and maybe the Trafalgar falls or titou gorge......

I will just keep looking at the boards for ideas....

Thanks.

We've stopeed in Dominica 4 times. Never did a tour offered by the ship. Twice we went with Ken's Hinterland, twice with Antours. I would think for a group of 20 you could pre-arrange a tour with one of the independent companies (there are quite a few) via e-mail.

Dominica is one of those don't miss stops. Many beautiful places to see.

Archived