water shoes or crocs?

SuperCoolOne

Which is better, both for ship and beaches? For adults and kids?

The kids live in crocs and flip flops at home.

I am thinking water shoes might be better for the cruise.

Crocs are great for around ship and all, but for serious walking hiking off the boat I'd suggest something more sturdy. We found Keens to be great, they are much more pricey than a pair of crocs but can't be beat as the single hiking, get wet, all around shoe for everything BUT formal night ;) If the only place you are going is the beach then I'd think crocs and flip flops are good enough.

Depends where you're going and what you're doing. I am bringing crocs for mine because I know the beaches are not rocky at all on our upcoming cruise. We're not hiking or going anywhere requiring anything more. Crocs are so easy and multipurpose. I just wish I had invented them.

Flip-flops can be dangerous when wet....your feet slip and slide in them! If you're going in the water, get something that covers you entire foot, and has non-slip properties!

That said, I've never needed to wear any kind of shoe at any beach we've gone to.

I vote "neither". Most beaches you'd go to as a family aren't particularly rocky or would contain any dangerous items hidden in the sand that would require either. I've also found that walking in wet water shoes can cause blisters for both big and little feet, which is a stinky way to spend a vacation (nursing blisters). And as an adult, I find my feet swell occasionally to the point where I can't wear them most of the time anyway. Plus they take up a decent amount of packing space in the ol' suitcase.

As for Crocs, I find I fall in a split second if my Crocs hit anything even remotely damp, I wouldn't advise these, either.

I've narrowed down my cruise footwear to a pair of flip flops, a pair of comfy Land's End/Teva type waterproof sport sandals and a neutral pair of dressy sandals for dinner.

I'm bringing water shoes only for the excursions in which I'll be actively IN the water, swimming or walking in the shallows. For anything else, I'll be in running shoes or flip-flops. Regular Crocs are too loose to be comfortable for me.

I vote "neither". Most beaches you'd go to as a family aren't particularly rocky or would contain any dangerous items hidden in the sand that would require either.

Depends what month!! I grew up in FL and the "hot sand" of the summer months is unbearable! So, the OP's kids will def need shoes or flops depending on the month.

Depends what month!! I grew up in FL and the "hot sand" of the summer months is unbearable! So, the OP's kids will def need shoes or flops depending on the month.

Yep- that is the worst! Walking on hot, afternoon sand- Yikes!!! Feels like walking on lava (not that I would know what that feels like...;)).

The only reason I would vote water shoes vs. crocs is that crocs can come off a bit easier and I once had my daughter lose hers- it got washed away by a wave... luckily we were able to get it back, but we would have had one very sad little girl if her Dora croc had been washed out to sea...:rolleyes:

In thinking of our 3 past cruises, I don't know that I've ever had the "foot burning sand" sensation at all. When we were at the beach in NJ for a month, oh yes. But never at the beach on any of our cruises.

In thinking of our 3 past cruises, I don't know that I've ever had the "foot burning sand" sensation at all. When we were at the beach in NJ for a month, oh yes. But never at the beach on any of our cruises.

Mexico is the worst for that... it's was nearly unbearable to even sit out in the sun for very long too. That was in the month of May, though. :cool:

Archived