Any families w/kids going on HAL to Alaska in June 2010?

Cruzden

Anyone with kids planning a June 2010 Alaska cruise on HAL for either of the 7-day Vancouver RT's (Zuiderdam or Volendam) - or the 14-day Seattle RT (Amsterdam)? After much research, my family and I really like the itinerary HAL has for these cruises.

My daughter is 8 and has only been on RCCL in the past. I've been on both HAL (years ago) and RCCL. We liked RCCL's program for kids - it was a caribbean cruise. But for Alaska, we are more interested in the itinerary than the on-board activites and we would like it more relaxed. My mom who is up in years now is also going - she has been on HAL several times and likes them. So, I'm thinking that HAL might be the best fit for us.

Looking at the mid to late June sailings, will there be a good number of kids on board these HAL ships to Alaska? I'm hoping there will be some other kids for her to socialize with. I know it will not be the same as RCCL's program, but that might be good in a way (less hectic).

Regarding the ships, is there much difference between the Zuiderdam or Volendam? I notice the Volendam has self-serve laundry, which appeals to me. But the Zuiderdam seems to offer more space in the suites. Any idea if the Zuiderdam, Volendam, and Amsterdam have the same program for kids - i.e. one better than another?

It would be great to hear from other families w/ kids who are planning a HAL cruise on any of these ships!

Thanks.

I am sailing on the Oosterdam the last week in May with a 2 and 5 year old so I am not much help! From what I have read, the Alaskan sailings have more kids than normal HAL cruises. But the 14 day will have less children because of the length of the cruise. The HAL board should be able to answer you question about the difference in the ships. The kids' programs seem to be pretty standard and cater toward the number of kids on the cruise. On our Eurodam cruise we did not think there was enough supervision in some cases-particularly the kids area at Half Moon Cay, but then again our daughter had just turned 4 so that makes a difference. If I am not mistaken, I believe that Cruisinmama on the family board has daily programs from a lot of different ships. You may want to post there as well.

In my part of the country school is not out until mid-June, so probably the later you go the better if you are trying to increase your chance of having more children.

See post number 8 on the following thread to get one person's perspective of kids on a HAL ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=21243480#post21243480

• 3 weeks later...

Our family is sailing the Oosterdam on May 16. DD 13(turning 14 on the cruise) and DS 10 are with us. Called HAL and there are 38 kids booked on this sailing. 8 in DD's group. The other 30 are 3-12.

This is mostly affected by the fact that school is still in session. But this is when we could afford to travel, so we are taking the kids out of school for the week.

Archived