Family Reunion Cruise

albycruisin

Like a do-do I presented the idea of a family reunion cruise for summer of 2011 for a group of about 35-40. There will be all age ranges, kids ranging from 9-19 and all the adults...grandparents too but don't let age fool you, the biggest partiers in the bunch. Because it was my idea, it now seems like it is my responsibility to choose the details. I have only sailed Disney and have nothing else to compare it to but I think cost will prohibit that choice for most of the group. So, for all you experienced cruisers out there, what cruiseline/ship would you recommend. I think we are leaning towards 7 night western caribbean(I sailed eastern last time) out of port canaveral, that should narrow down options. Is there a way for me to search by month, year, and terminal and see which ships across all cruiselines sail out of there?

Call a travel agent, give them your criteria, and they can do the "searching" for you! And, when you pick the specific cruise, everyone in the family can make their own arrangements through that agent....it's the best way! If you make yourself "responsible" for everyone else, you will need a vacation from the vacation! Truly! There's no way to make everyone happy 100% of the time, and if everyone makes their own plans/bookings/arrangements, it take you out of the mix!

You came up with the idea....and that's plenty! Now, let everyone have their own fun planning their cruise!

Go to any travel agency and ask for catalogues for ships in the Caribean. You do not have to book with them. Shop for prices when you decide which ship. The catalogues will have each of the cruise line's ships and where they go and how much time in each port. If they have prices forget those. You NEVER pay those prices. Depending on the cruise line, you should get a free cabin as the 'booking agent'. You've got a lot of time to plan this so you'll be comfortable with whatever ship you choose.

For sure don't attempt this on your own. Way too many possible cruisers. I agree...you got the ball rolling, now it's up to an agent to help. Just finding a date when the majority can all get off and go will be a challenge. Not all will participate. A good travel agent will sit down with you, make an option list. Make it doemcratic and the option most vote for is the one. Nope, not everyone will be happy about everything. Be prepared.

Where does everyone live? If you have to fly, I'd choose Ft. Lauderdale or Miami -- more ships and more options. And, I suggest you arrive the day before and stay in a hotel/motel somewhere. My wife's son and family are going on the Voyager with us in March. We are all staying at a hotel near the Houston Bush airport (free shuttle to the hotel), and taking a limo on Sunday to the cruise.

For families with younger kids, I suggest connecting cabins (with a door between the cabins like hotel rooms have). That way, parents have their own room, yet can help the kids when needed. That really worked on the last Voyager for my son-in-law and family. As for price, go with an inside cabin to save money. Also, sometimes you can get 5-day cruises much cheaper than 7-day. We got the January 5-day Ecstasy for about half the price of the 7-day Voyager. Yeah, the Voyager is a much bigger ship with more to do, but you said price might be a factor. If you don't have connecting cabins, then I think one adult has to be booked in each cabin with the kids.

I suggest booking with fully refundable deposits -- as soon as possible. If you can afford it, book 2 or 3 ships now. That way you have the cabins held for you. Then when you decide on which ship, cancel the others. If you wait too long, your choices of cabins gets smaller and smaller, and you might not get connecting or even adjoining cabins. Note that Carnival last summer started non-refundable deposits but a cheaper price for the cruise, like airlines -- so make sure you ask for the fully refundable rate or at least know if you are booking non-refundable deposits.

Oh, one more thought. Some parents with older kids book a balcony cabin for themselves, with the kids in an inside cabin across the hall. I hear this works well. Maybe others who have done this can comment. But for younger kids, I suggest the connecting cabins. Again I know some ships require an adult in each cabin, so check on the rules before doing this. (For those who have done this -- How did this work when an adult is supposed to be in the cabin?)

And, you'll have to use several dining tables -- no way to put 40 at one table!

The last time I checked, for groups you get 1 person free for every 10 booked. This might have changed. Your travel agent will know.

Have a great cruise. Can I come? :D

I checked on a TA website. The only ship sailing out of PC in May or July 2011 is Disney.

Other lines do cruise out of PC but right now only Disney is showing up.

When doing a group cruise it is best to let everyone make their own arragements as far as booking goes. The same goes for excursions, no way will you make everyone happy. Let them book their own.

I have found Carnival to give me the best perks for groups.

Of course all cruiselines give you the free berth for every 8 cabins sold double occupancy.

Plus you can get cabin credit. or photo coupons. choc strawberries.

Princess / Royal gave me a cheaper price--but not by much

Disney---completly out of my price range.

You can use a trael agent-- to set up the group- each person makes their payment ect to this one agent. I would not be collecting money etc. Setting it up this way allows the price to be locked in-- and add people as you go. booking seperatly will get prices all over the place.

agree with previous poster that if many have to fly, FLL or MIA will be better (cheaper to get to).

Lest you have not heeded above warnings, DO NOT take this on - turn it over to a TA. Too many people, too many headaches. Plus, they are family - you will have to see them for the rest of your life - don't risk family harmony on this project!!

I would, however, go the next step and send out the list of potential cruises and put it to a vote ("will tally all votes received as of " whatever date - I would suggest majority rule with non-vote meaning "any cruise is fine with me" vs apathy). Tell the TA which cruise it is, and let em take it from there. Definitely do not get between the TA and any family member - your response will always be "What did the TA say about it?" repeat as necessary.

It's so far in the future, no one knows for certain that they can get Week X off, but they can pull out before final payment. Better to book a cabin now and pull out later than to finally see that they can go but it's sold out. Be sure to stress this.

and, GOOD LUCK!

Also, I suggest you do the assigned dining for the evening meal if they have it. That way you can all get together as a group at least once per day, and have a good meeting place for the evening activities. During the morning and afternoon, you will probably all do your own thing -- sometimes even at ports.

The only reason I'd consider Port Canaveral is if you visit Disneyworld also. If flying, you fly to Orlando. It is a long bus ride from Orlando to Port Canaveral, I hear. That's one reason I suggested Ft. Lauderdale or Miami -- much easier (cheaper) to get from the airport to the ship.

Archived