7 Mile Beach?

pmoniz

Thinking about just doing a beach day while in Grand Cayman. Carnival offers transportation to and from with a drink and beach chair for $25. It also says there are watersport rentals available there. Does anyone know what is offered to rent?

Just so you know, beaches are free in Cayman, and it's a very safe port to tour on your own. There are two popular areas of Seven Mile Beach with great facilities that many visitors head to - Sea Grape and Royal Palms. Depending on the cruise line, excursions either head to the Beach Club Colony (a hotel) or to Sea Grape.

A taxi ride to/from most sections of Seven Mile Beach is about $4-6 US per person each way. Chair rentals are about $7 (US?) in most areas, but putting a towel on the beach is free. A Mudslide (premium drink) was $7 CI last week at Royal Palms. A rum punch (the usual "included" drink) or beer is generally cheaper.

You can save a bit by just going to the beach on your own...especially if you don't really care one way or the other about the chair and the drink... :D

runner15km - Thank you! Just what I wanted to know!

bookbabe - Thank you for that information. I was wondering if we'd be better off just doing this on our own - looks like we just might!

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Just so you know, beaches are free in Cayman, and it's a very safe port to tour on your own. There are two popular areas of Seven Mile Beach with great facilities that many visitors head to - Sea Grape and Royal Palms. Depending on the cruise line, excursions either head to the Beach Club Colony (a hotel) or to Sea Grape.

:D

Does anyone happen to know which area Royal uses? We're sailing on Carnival and have friends sailing on Royal but we'll be on Grand Cayman the same day and I know they're doing the Seven Mile Beach excursion through Royal. We're just going to take a taxi and try to find them. Think we'll have any luck?

beach colony hotel was torn down does anyone know where Royal will lose now

Are you sure it was torn down? I'm sure it was still there over Christmas, although I wasn't specifically watching for it...and their website is still active with an online form for reservations...

http://www.beachclubcolony.ky/index.htm

That being said, you're better off going to either Sea Grape or Royal Palms, and skipping the ship's beach excursion. It's way cheaper and just as easy to do the beach on your own...

As a side note, some of the cruiselines do use Sea Grape, so it's a possibility that Royal might move there if Beach Club is no longer available.

Take public transportation in Cayman. Once you get off the ship turn left and walk down two blocks. It is on the opposite side of the street. They'll take you anywhere for $2.00 a person. Taxis are much more expensive.

Does anyone happen to know which area Royal uses? We're sailing on Carnival and have friends sailing on Royal but we'll be on Grand Cayman the same day and I know they're doing the Seven Mile Beach excursion through Royal. We're just going to take a taxi and try to find them. Think we'll have any luck?

Royal Caribbean offers 2 excursions to Sea Grape Beach. One returns to the ship at 11:30 a.m. and the other is the afternoon hours.

A taxi ride to/from most sections of Seven Mile Beach is about $4-6 US per person each way. Chair rentals are about $7 (US?) in most areas, but putting a towel on the beach is free. A Mudslide (premium drink) was $7 CI last week at Royal Palms. A rum punch (the usual "included" drink) or beer is generally cheaper.

You can save a bit by just going to the beach on your own...especially if you don't really care one way or the other about the chair and the drink... :D

Anyone been to Royal Palms Reef/Grill recently? there used to be a place right there on the beach called kirk sea tours that rented chair and lockers and did tours I believe. Their website is showing it expired earlier this month.

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks!!

Anyone been to Royal Palms Reef/Grill recently? there used to be a place right there on the beach called kirk sea tours that rented chair and lockers and did tours I believe. Their website is showing it expired earlier this month.

Not sure if it's still Kirks, but someone is renting chairs and such at Royal Palms...you can still see the price sign in the webcam shots... :D

We are three middle aged women just looking for a nice day at the beach. We would like a place with restaurant, chairs, changing rooms, etc. It would be nice to have alittle shade, but umbrellas will do. Would you recommend Sea Grape of Royal Palms. I assume both areas can be reached easily by taxi.

Thanks,

Carol and Crew

Maybe I dont have the same webcam you are looking at, can you add a link I dont see the sign

http://www.reefgrill.net/netcam/index.html

The beach webcam at this link...center screen, above the reddish coloured umbrellas as I'm looking at it now. It's a red sign, and if you know what it says already you can tell it says "beach chair rentals" but you can't see the price ($7) because the umbrellas are in the way.

You can get to either via cab or the city bus. Royal Palms/Reef Grill is closer to the pier so it will a cab ride would be a little cheaper and it will take less time to get back and forth. We have only been to Royal Palms/Reef Grill but from what I have read Sea Grape is also very nice. I have read recently that they may be using Sea Grape for ship excursions. If that is true I would avoid it.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on our visit to Seven Mile Beach. We got off the tender, walked to the main street and turned left. A couple of blocks down on the opposite side of the street was a public transport yard. The buses are actually large vans (silly me, I was expecting a city bus like at home). Told the driver we wanted to go to Beach Colony Hotel. He wasn't sure exactly what we were talking about. (I had the name wrong) He dropped us off at one of the hotels (transport cost $2.50 per person). He showed us where the bus stop was to catch the bus back to the tender area. We walked through the hotel to the beach, talked to the bartender, ordered two drinks ($25 US) and found out that the Beach Club Colony was right next door! Spent some time with our friends from the RCI cruise. Walked across the street to the bus stop and caught a bus back to the tender ($2.50 per person).

Bottom line - we spent $35 total for two people including transport and drinks. RCI charged $35 per person for transport and drink. And Beach Club Colony is still there!

Update on our visit to Seven Mile Beach. We got off the tender, walked to the main street and turned left. A couple of blocks down on the opposite side of the street was a public transport yard. The buses are actually large vans (silly me, I was expecting a city bus like at home). Told the driver we wanted to go to Beach Colony Hotel. He wasn't sure exactly what we were talking about. (I had the name wrong) He dropped us off at one of the hotels (transport cost $2.50 per person). He showed us where the bus stop was to catch the bus back to the tender area. We walked through the hotel to the beach, talked to the bartender, ordered two drinks ($25 US) and found out that the Beach Club Colony was right next door! Spent some time with our friends from the RCI cruise. Walked across the street to the bus stop and caught a bus back to the tender ($2.50 per person).

Bottom line - we spent $35 total for two people including transport and drinks. RCI charged $35 per person for transport and drink. And Beach Club Colony is still there!

Could you rent chairs there? If so how much were they?

Are you able to buy beer at a local store and bring it to the beach if you are renting chairs and an umbrella or is frowned upon?

Frowned on. And you wouldn't really save that much over just buying it at the bar right beside the rental chairs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Seagrape is name for the section of Seven Mile Beach known locally as West Bay Public Beach, or just west of it for accuracy. The Seagrape name was probably made up by a cruise line or local entrepreneur (don't know that for a fact). It is located near to what was most recently the Marriott Courtyard.

There are chair and water -sports rentals there along with Calico Jack's beach bar & grill.

Archived