Cairotravel.com

flsun

Thanks flsun!!

That's an interesting website with a lot of good information! It gives good alternatives for those who have visited Egypt, and excellent info for people going there for the first time! I love the explanation of the color of the flag!

If anyone has used them, I would love to hear comments!

MC

We used Cairo Travel at the end of December, and we had an AMAZING experience!!! We sailed on the Norwegian Jade, and booked an overnight with Cairo Travel. The guides were extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and truly love their country. They cater to your wants and needs and you can edit your itinerary however you would like. We visited all of the traditional sites- Pyramids, Sphinx, Ramses II, Step Pyramid, Alabaster Mosque, Egyptian Museum, etc. All were amazing, and the guide (Youssef) knew so much about every place we visited. My favorite part of the trip was our felucca ride on the Nile at sunset, extraordinary views of Cairo and the Nile.

I can't wait to go back to Egypt and have Youssef show us all around his beautiful country. He is the epitome of customer service, pride, and knowledge.

Thanks mogwailove!

Great to read a good review of this operator!

I have a few questions for you... What hotel did you stay at? How was it?

Also, what did you do during the evening?

There's a lot of option offered on the excursions page of their website - did you pick one in particular, or did you customize your tour?

http://www.cairotravel.com/shore/

Thanks for all the great info!

MC

We stayed at the Oberoi Mena house http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_menahouse/index.asp

It had amazing service, BEAUTIFUL hotel rooms, great views!!! We have traveled all over the world, and the hotel room was one of the nicest we had ever been in.

We customized our own tour....

On Day 1 we went to the Great Pyramids, Sphinx, Ramses II, Step Pyramid, ate lunch, and then went to the Nile for a Felucca ride at sunset (highly recommend!!! It was an out of this world experience!) From the Nile, we went back to the hotel, checked in, freshened up, and then Youssef picked us up about an hour later. We then went to the Khan el-Khalili Bazaar and ate dinner at an outdoor restaurant in the square... view of mosque, bazaar- it was great. We then walked around the bazaar and stopped off at a tea house inside the bazaar, the tea and lemonade were delicious. We walked around the bazaar and shopped some more, and then headed back to the hotel (around midnight!).

On Day 2, Youssef met us at the hotel and we went to the Saladin Citadel and Alabaster/ Muhammad Ali Mosque. Youssef explained so much about Islam and was willing to answer any question- we learned a ton. From the Citadel and Mosque, we went to the Egyptian Museum. We are not big museum fans when we are only in a country for 2 days, but it was worth it!! Seeing King Tut was unreal. From the museum, we went to lunch and then headed back to Alexandria. In Alexandria, we saw the Library of Alexandria, the sea, and the Old Lighthouse.

Egypt with Youssef (cairotravel) was the best part of our 14 day cruise, without a doubt!!

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

A good website with lots of good info. I like the info about paying at the end of the tour and they guarantee you will not miss the ship or they will pay for your lodging and air fare to the next port....a pretty good guarantee to get you back to the ship on time.

Thanks, mogwailove, for the great recommendation. The website, as Marie-Claude says, is FULL of information. I've really enjoyed reading thru so much good stuff. Yes, having a guarantee makes a huge difference when we're only off a ship for a limited time. Nice, too, to know there are some new options out there...:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Monmon Lady,

I would be interested in the itinerary that you did on your overnight. Did you do anything at night? Light & sound show, or dinner?

Also, how big was your group - was is it just for 2 people or a larger group?

Thanks in advance!!

MC

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks monmon_lady!

We visited most of these sites on two separate visits!

In addition, we went to Saqqarah - which is really an interesting visit as you can get into a noble tomb and see the carvings and paintings on the wall!

I hope to build a very different itinerary this time and hopefully get to Dashur!!

Thanks for sharing your information!!

MC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Zukini,

Not sure if your question was answered otherwise, but I had booked the tours several months ahead.

In planning the overnight in Cairo, Ramses offered several hotels either near the Pyramids or in Cairo. If you have any specific hotel you want to stay at, I'm sure you can ask them - they are very accomodating!!

MC

Hi Zukini,

Not sure if your question was answered otherwise, but I had booked the tours several months ahead.

In planning the overnight in Cairo, Ramses offered several hotels either near the Pyramids or in Cairo. If you have any specific hotel you want to stay at, I'm sure you can ask them - they are very accomodating!!

MC

Thank you, Marie-Claude! We're talking with both Ramses Tours and Memphis Tours now for our May 2011 visit. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Roberta,

I guess the choice of hotel depends on what you intend on doing. If you have opted for the Light & Sound show at the pyramids in the evening, I would definitely opt for a hotel near the Pyramids. The Oberoi is a very nice hotel which seems a bit more exotic than the Meridien. But both offer good amenities!

If you want to spend the evening in Cairo, then I would pick a hotel in town.

Good luck!!

MC

• 2 months later...

Just a FYI... we just got back from our Mediterranean cruise and spent 2 days in Egypt, docked in Alexandria. We took 2 separate Day tours with Ramses Tours and were extremely pleased. Aside from providing interesting information at the various sights, our guide became our protector. Before we stopped anywhere, he told us what to expect from the vendors and kept a close eye on each of us. If we got into a problem with a Vendor or were about to be taken advantage of, he was right there to prevent any issues. We felt very well taken care of - and we also found the tours to be an excellent value for the dollar! They were very good at communicating before we arrived and were right on time for everything. NO complaints at all!!!

Archived