Caribbean Princess Which dock and what's to do at the pier?

Embracedbylife

We'll be taking the Caribbean Princess on their 2/28/10 cruise which stops at St. Thomas. We are thinking of doing a ship excursion that will take us to St. John to the beach to snorkel but we'll still have about 3 hours to ourselves.

Anyone know what is near where the ship docks and must see's in St. Thomas?

Thanks!

Last year, we docked at the newer docking facility, which I believe is Crown Point. It is quite modern, with the usual island jewelry, tee shirt, rum, souvenier shops, etc. You can walk off the ship and get taxis to anywhere on the island. It seems that most people go to one of the beaches. If you have never been there and want to "see the island", you may want to sign up for one of the local tours (Air Force One, Papa Bear, etc). I have never been over to St John. We usually do a private sailing tour or go to a beach for the day. Next week, we will be there again, and just plan to take a taxi to nearby Emerald Beach Resort. Have fun.

I was on the CB in Feb 2008 and they dock at Crown Bay. St. John tour is nice, but realize you will have very limited time on St. John. I am not sure if the boat leaves from dock or they taxi you to Red Hook to catch the ferry. Either way your looking at about an hour trip each way to and from the ship to St. John. So a 5 hour tour is really only about 3 hours on the island. Could be even less time at the beach by the time you get from the ferry dock, into a taxi, or arranged transportation, and then to the actual beach.

If you haven't booked the tour yet, you may want to try booking a St. Thomas tour with one of the operators recommend on these boards. They will give you time to go shopping in Charlotte Amalie, and then the beach with some sightseeing on the way and the way back to the ship. Purchases are kept safe in the truck, so no need to worry.

You can also do your own thing and spend the day at the beach. Often when we are there for a few hours, we take a taxi into town in the morning, walk around, say hi to people we know and leave around 11:30-Noon. Go back to the ship, quickly change and head out to a beach for the afternoon.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Lisa,

Friends of ours just returned from a cruise which included the St John excursion. He loved it and told us to do the same one. I'll get the info from him and post. We are traveling on the same cruise you are in Feb 28.

Archived