Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

What happens with wine/liquor bought while in SJ for a shore excursion?? I will be on NOS and we have a short day. Have no idea what pier.

We stopped in SJ on Freedom in January. Bought a bunch of liquor at the discount duty free store as we were getting back on. We had several bottles bagged, and tried to get one thru in our carryon but it was spotted and we had to turn it in at the "booze table". We got them all back on the last night. We are cruising out of SJ on Victory in December and I'm hoping I can find some cheap booze at the grocery store and get it thru in my bag. Time will tell I guess

Hi, just did a cruise on the Summit (11-18th). When we arrived in port on Saturday afternoon we went through the duty-free shop and purchased a number of items, including wine and rum. The 2 bottles of wine were allowed to be taken with us and we carried them on in an obvious bag from the duty-free shop. The rum etcetera was labeled and sent to the ship and was inside our stateroom at about 11 PM Friday night when we arrived back there after evening activites, so not sure when it was delivered, but it was after 6 and before 11 PM. We had also put 2 bottles of wine into our luggage, giving us a total of 4 bottles (3 wine, one champagne) in our stateroom for the cruise. We were told that the shop's location prohibited our access to it post cruise, so we had to purchase before departure. Laurie

Just back on the Victory a week ago. We were able to take wine in the carryon, "mouthwash and baby shampoo" (my husbands creations LOL) and rum runners. No problem. Just want to split them up a bit. My biggest problem...... No diet mountain dew in the islands. CVS didnt carry it either. I did find it the last day in St Marten. By this time I was willing to pay $5 for a can:eek:!! I bought 2 for $3 and got my fix!!

Is anyone recently off a carnival ship out of san juan? Sounds like things have seem to have changed since a year ago. Has anyone tried to bring hard alcohol on board bought at the pier in a carry on?

Just off Victory 2 weeks ago. Was able to bring accepted amount in carryon and "enough" in checked bags. Also brought pop on board. Stuff that was purchased in duty free was being checked as you boarded. Didn't see anyone get pulled over but saw it being turned in though.

• 3 weeks later...
Oh heck no! It's really NOT a problem walking your purchases on board in San Juan. Seriously folks, anything you purchase at the pier and put into your carry on, do it. You will not be challenged. Also, if you buy $100 worth, they'll pack it into a rolling carry-on and you can just wheel it onto the ship. No one says a word to you. Really, it's not a problem.

what ship is this on?

what ship is this on?

Heres the deal. Get on the ship with all your stuff. When the cabin is ready, go unload your carry ons, and go buy your sodas, water, etc. at cvs. go back to the cruise pier, to the duty free shop and buy your liquor, cigs, etc. you will go through one scanner, which is not carnival employees, and they dont care. Leave your liquor in bag from store. You will go to second checkpoint, which is carnival employees, just checking passport, and sail and sign. As you leave them, there will be a blind spot as you proceed through the tunnel to the left, not visible to the ship. Load your liquor to the carryon, and remove your soda, mixers, if you have to, and proceed to the ship. Just off the ship march 18, Victory. Along with my rum runners, I was loaded for bear. No worries.

• 4 weeks later...
Just back on the Victory a week ago. We were able to take wine in the carryon, "mouthwash and baby shampoo" (my husbands creations LOL) and rum runners. No problem. Just want to split them up a bit. My biggest problem...... No diet mountain dew in the islands. CVS didnt carry it either. I did find it the last day in St Marten. By this time I was willing to pay $5 for a can:eek:!! I bought 2 for $3 and got my fix!!

Mouthwash and baby shampoo....is this how you concealed liquor?

• 2 weeks later...
Just returned from San Juan - here the scoop on Victory...

Think of a maze shaped like an N

They sell booze at the first corner. Didnt buy from the liquor store but they were selling mini bottles outside of it. Even if you did buy at the liquor store - no problem just stuffing your purchase in your carry-on bag. My friends and I purchased A LOT of minis. Sticking them in pockets, purses, bags. As you round the second corner is a check point to scan you and your bags. (I frankly think these people could care less what you have as I had a bottle of wine and a almost full water bottle in my bag and they never took the time to look at either). We also bought water and coke at that stop and they went through the scanners without even a second look. Then as you reach the end of the walkway after that scanning you come to a couple of carnival guys next to another scanner. ...

great description, thank you

haven't plowed thru the whole but just wondering if this stategy might work:

We'll be @ Sheraton OSJ via hotwire rate for night prior and night of cruise (2 night minimum but still less than 1 night @ AAA rate) and will be able to check out late on Saturday.

Was going to lug over 1 suitcase and our 1 bottle of champagne pp, then have lunch and go back out exploring. Early evening (not sure of all aboard time will have to ask when we arrive) we'll shower & change in hotel, grab our stuff from room safe & and lug 2nd suitcase over.

Wondering if we could bring a 2nd bottle of champagne along at that point but play it off as our 1st.;)Do they keep tabs on multiple returns/bottles?

Same question for buying soda/water at the 2nd stop of the 'N' described above, could we drag on another 12 pp at that point?

Edited by keishashadow

great description, thank you

haven't plowed thru the whole but just wondering if this stategy might work:

We'll be @ Sheraton OSJ via hotwire rate for night prior and night of cruise (2 night minimum but still less than 1 night @ AAA rate) and will be able to check out late on Saturday.

Was going to lug over 1 suitcase and our 1 bottle of champagne pp, then have lunch and go back out exploring. Early evening (not sure of all aboard time will have to ask when we arrive) we'll shower & change in hotel, grab our stuff from room safe & and lug 2nd suitcase over.

Wondering if we could bring a 2nd bottle of champagne along at that point but play it off as our 1st.;)Do they keep tabs on multiple returns/bottles?

Same question for buying soda/water at the 2nd stop of the 'N' described above, could we drag on another 12 pp at that point?

Sounds like it might work - e.g. one carryon each time with wine/champagne - I guess they can't posssibly keep track of whether or not you have already brought your allotment onboard with you? Worht a try.....but it does sound pretty easy to just walk on with either alcohol or wine according to recent and past cruisers :)

Edited by Froufie

We just returned April 21st from a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Carnival. We had our allocated 1 bottle each of wine in the carry on bag. In addition, my husband had 3 leftover Fosters so we threw those in and figured at worst they would be taken. We also threw in 6 small waters-(I was told I could bring 6) and 4 sodas. We went through the scanner, they opened the bag, looked in it and zipped it back up. We were happy. :o

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

We walked off with our emptied backpacks and went to CVS to restock. No one really knows or cares if it's your first allotment of soda, water or wine, or your 10th. We observed passengers purchasing liquor at the in-terminal shops, then placing it into their carryons after going through the security scanner, and before actually boarding (there is a bit of a walk between points). No problem since there is not another scanner.

Even at the ports on the Valor's itinerary there seemed to be little effort to ensure that bottles were checked in at the liquor table.