19 day cruise - packing tips please

Going to Oz, Tas, NZ for 19 days cruise with a few days in Oz either end. All this with a 20kg weight allowance. Bearing in mind I have 3 formal dresses, and weather in Oz hot, NZ much cooler and maybe wet, any sensible tips/suggestions would be appreciated. Cruising with RCI which doesn't have laundry facilities and don't necessarily want to spend a fortune on ships laundry (which I've read scary reviews about anyway!)

HELP

:cool:

For me, I would have to utilize the laundry service at least once on this long of a cruise. I just can't see taking (at least) 19 of anything; panties, bras, tops, bottoms, etc. So I would budget in laundry for the things that can't easily be handwashed and that aren't delicate--actually, I'd try not to bring anything too delicate.

I would plan on hand-washing undies and maybe workout clothes. I'd pick a basic color scheme for bottoms, such as black and khaki and bring tops that go with both. I often wear bottoms more than once, tops more than once depending on what I've been doing. For instance, a dressy top worn for two-three hours in the evening would be worn again; a tee worn for 10 hours on an excursion wouldn't.

I would take as many easy-packing, non-wrinkling fabrics as possible, especially for evening. Nice packable black slacks or skirts can be worn multiple times with different tops. Tops can be worn again with different jewelry or accessories.

The different climates make it harder; layering is the way to go. I always take one jacket anyway, tank tops and tees for warm weather and workouts, maybe make your jacket a rainproof one and add one more layer, like a long sleeved shirt, or along the fold-up rain ponchos just in case.

My basic plan for a longer vacation is to pack what I need for 7 days plus a little more, do some hand washing and bite the bullet and send clothes out once or twice. Good luck! Your cruise sounds wonderful.

First off, don't take 3 formal dresses, take 2 cocktail length dresses and wear one of them twice with different accessories. For the other nights, take knit dresses, one pair slacks, a few tops. Trying to pack for the full trip is not only ridiculously heavy, you will find you won't wear half of what you take.

Layer your clothes. A tank or camisole top under a shirt with a travel raincoat should keep anyone warm enough unless the temps are freezing. That same cami or tank top can be worn with shorts.

Don't be afraid to send things out for laundry/dry cleaning, you should be able to wear some things twice, even 3-4 times. Some things can be washed in the sink and hung in the shower to dry. I do a few pair of underwear and my bras in the sink, I refuse to send anything that delicate out to laundry.

Try to pack for only one week, plus an extra jacket and long pants for cooler days. You may be surprised that many of the people on your cruise are re-wearing their clothes more than one might think.

Ideas and thoughts-

20kg is alot. Travel Space Bags (compression bags) help with the bulk but not the weight.

Pack like you would to Alaska- check the Alaska boards for info.

Layer, mix & match.

Can you get away with one Formal Dress and use different accessories?

Or 1 pair black formal pants and three snazzy tops?

Limit the amount of shoes- dress from the shoes up. One pair of formal shoes, sneakers (trainers), sandals, pool shoes.

Buy toiletries Down Under.

I did 6 weeks travelling through Europe once with the same luggage limit. It does not matter how long your trip is you only need enough for one week as others have said. it does not matter if you wear the same thing several times- no-one is going to notice what you have on. I have packed lighter and lighter with each trip. It is always hard though to decide what to elave out and of course with a cruise you have the pressure of needing a posh outfit.

Archived