Culinary Enrichment Program

dwelsh

Just picked this up - Looks exciting!!

http://www.cruisereport.com/crNews.aspx?id=1040

David, Do we have here another example of a luxury line trying to mimic the mass market ships. Princess has the Chef's Table, a similar experience without the local shopping, (already a Seabourn feature), and I don't believe this is good for Silversea's image. Why dummy down to match an inferiour product? Or make it complimentary behooving a luxury product.

Now I realize I will likely get plenty flack on this opinion from Silversea devotees, but what is life without dissent. (Yeah, I have a great example of that but not for this readership.)

If you move back in time to the present it is plain cruise lines , after you board, are getting deeper into the passenger (guest) pocket as years roll by. This is sharp contrast to when you knew almost to the penny what the crusie would cost depending on your bar and tour choices. I have no arugument here becasue I do know the score. I've studied this industry for too many years from a personal and other viewpoints.

While I'm likely to be on the unpopular side of this issue in CC, I would rather luxury ships named after Rolls-Royce motorcars and a precious metal embrace a loftier all-inclusive image.

Thank you for passing on this link for discussion.

Ron

If Silversea is copying another line in offering l'Ecole des Chefs then it is surely Regent, which offeres Cordon Bleu classes on some sailings (I have done two of them and enjoyed the class a lot).

But the article seems to indicate that Silversea is pushing the envelope a bit further, and I personally like what they are going to offer. I just hope that l'Ecole des Chefs will be offered on the Silver Spirit's TA sailing in October 2011 when I will be able to take advantage of it!!

Ron:Your comments make me believe that we are in for some wonderful conversation as we navigate the Pacific Ocean. We are so looking forward to meeting you and Dee.

D & B.

David, I agree with what you say on navigation and convesations.

On another topic, I only signed up for Silversea CC this past June when I finalized this coming voyage. And I'm very happy I did. I'd been reading Princess CC for several years but never bothered to registrer so I could interact. Comparing the Princess and Silversea content I have concluded Silversea text is the more intense and knowledageable.

Ron

Ron:

Living a rather sedate life gives me lots of opportunity to read and peruse many on-line sites. I have been reading in recent days CC cruise reviews that are posted daily.

I am amazed at the illiteracy ofmany of the posters but realize that these are people mostly new to cruising and sailing on the mass market lines.(That doesn't explain the illiteracy, our low educational standards in the USA do, though.) Some are very happy with the crowds, cafeteria food and unspectacular service, while others,(they seem in the majority) tell it like it is!

By the way I need your suite #, other than chain locker, to insert in the roster so we are able to make contact aboard.

D.

Ron:

Living a rather sedate life gives me lots of opportunity to read and peruse many on-line sites. I have been reading in recent days CC cruise reviews that are posted daily.

I am amazed at the illiteracy ofmany of the posters but realize that these are people mostly new to cruising and sailing on the mass market lines.(That doesn't explain the illiteracy, our low educational standards in the USA do, though.) Some are very happy with the crowds, cafeteria food and unspectacular service, while others,(they seem in the majority) tell it like it is!

By the way I need your suite #, other than chain locker, to insert in the roster so we are able to make contact aboard.

D.

I hear you, David. Dee and I have made dozens of mass market cruises and have enjoyed them all to varying degrees. But for us they are losing appeal. Maybe it is too much of the same. Shadow will be a totally new experience and we look forward to the comparison. Imagine...no photographers to ambush you at the gangplank or stalking the dining room on formal night. On our last cruise I led Dee around back of the phoney photo screen when embarking. Well!. Did my ears burn.

"SIR!"

No smiles here.

We are "guarantee" on Shadow and I have not as yet a suite.

I will throw in my two cents here. On past cruises, we have enjoyed many special culinary events/classes that is mentioned in the press release. These included wine seminars, cooking demos with Relais & Chateaux chefs, battle of the chefs, visiting a local market with the chef, etc. I think it is a good move on Silversea's part to consolidate the various culinary events they have provided in the past and make it a focus for certain cruises. We are also excited it is offered on one of our upcoming cruises!

Archived