One or Two Islands

Stelladoro

Hi, following our cruise from Sydney to Honolulu, we will extend our vacation with a 10 day visit in Hawaii. Cruise will stop for one day in Maui, before ending in Honolulu.

We're thinking of visiting two islands in the 10 days, Oahu and either, returning to Maui, or flying to Kauai or the Big Island. We're a couple of active seniors and prefer to rent a car and sightsee. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi, following our cruise from Sydney to Honolulu, we will extend our vacation with a 10 day visit in Hawaii. Cruise will stop for one day in Maui, before ending in Honolulu.

We're thinking of visiting two islands in the 10 days, Oahu and either, returning to Maui, or flying to Kauai or the Big Island. We're a couple of active seniors and prefer to rent a car and sightsee. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I enjoy Oahu and have been there many times. The last trip we did Oahu and the Big Island and before that, Oahu and Maui. I like to stay in Waikiki, rent a car for a few days and explore the rest of the island. You do not need a car in Waikiki but it makes seeing the rest of the island easier. I just did a post about the luau and show at the Polynesian Cultural Center as well.

My vote is for the Big Island and Oahu. There is so much to do and see there. We loved it, seeing the active volcano at night, exploring VNP, black sand beach, sea turtles, excellent snorkeling, hikes, kids did dolphin experience. We stayed several days at the Hilton Waikoloa (loved the hotel) and the King Kam in Kona (great location in town, reasonable price, not fancy but I heard they just redid the rooms). I enjoyed the Big Island more than Maui. I have not been to Kaui so I cannot comment.

Jen in SoCal

If it was me, and it has been sort of (multiple visits to Hawaii), I would skip Oahu and split the 10 days between the Big Island and Kauai (maybe a 6/4 split). The Big Island lives-up to its nickname so you can spend as many days there as you want and have plently to see (with a lot of driving). To save on driving, you may want to consider spending one night in Hilo and the remainder in Kona.

Kauai is great also, and the perfect island to relax and get away from the crowds. Still plenty of places to see, all within a days drive of most hotels.

I'd vote for 3 nights in Waikiki and the rest of the time in Maui. Gives you time to see the sights on Oahu without having to rush around. And, Maui will give you plenty to do while still having beautiful resorts/beaches to relax and do nothing at.

Unlike the previous posters, I'm not a big fan of the Big Island. I find many more choices for activities and more/better dining venues on Maui than on the Big Island. (But, if you do opt for a stay on Hawaii, be sure to visit the Ocean Rider Seahorse farm outside of Kona. It's an interesting way to spend a couple hours.)

The thing to remember about Hawaii is that's it's almost impossible to make a "bad" choice about destination. ;)

Beach4me is so right on, you can't make a bad decision. Even Waikiki is nice although I think many people end up there because they don't do their homework.

Kauai is so scenic I think it's worth seeing. Have you seen the movie South Pacific? Rent that movie, and then you'll want to go to Kauai :-)

Every Island has unique and interesting views, I'd suggest a few days on two Islands. You really can't go wrong on any of them... after visting two you'll almost be certain to want to come back and see the others.

Oahu gets a bad wrap by some due to the big touristy parts of it, but a drive to Diamond Head for a hike, the Polynesian Cultura center or the North Shore and you can see the other side of that Island. Also if you are a history buff there is Pearl Harbor. Waikiki can still be a fun beach and great shopping as well.

The Big Island has got the Volcanoes and the black sand Beaches.

Maui has Haleakala and the Road to Hana

Kauai has Waimea Canyon and Napali

Guess I'm no help, I like all 4 of those Islands, but if I would pick two it would be Oahu and Kaui

My best friend lived on Maui and I got to spend a few weeks two different times . It is a great island with alot to see and do . The beaches are incredible . If you are going to be there in the winter into spring the Whale watching is the best from here . With that being said ,My boyfriend and I took my friend on the POA and our favorite island was Kauai . I will go stay there again one day . It was incredible . So much nature and great activities on this island . The coastline was beautiful . The Waimea Canyon was like a mini Grand Canyon but green and with waterfalls . We went on an ATV tour on the Kipu ranch and that was the highlight of our trip . They filmed alot of movies on Kauai . It is beautiful . I'm with everyone else every island has something great to offer . You will enjoy the islands whatever you choose .

I would also like to weigh in on this one. I have spent a lot of time in Hawaii, vacationed on the Big Island for many years and lived there for five years. I think your time in Hawaii should definitely include the Big Island as it is the newest, largest island with many activities, the volcano, Mauna Kea with snow in the winter, stark black lava, a vast ranch land, great beaches, snorkling, and a tropical rain forest all on one island. My second choice would be Kauai the oldest of the inhabited chain, lush, dramatic, good beaches, a spectacular canyon, very different from the Big Island. I think that Maui has gotten a little too commercial. If you do stay in Oahu for more than one night be sure to get out of Honolulu and stay somewhere else on the island like the north shore.

I agree that whichever you choose you cannot make a mistake.

Archived