deciding between 2 caribbean voyages

kathyfromnaperville

I am considering 2 different Silversea voyages. This is for a spring break trip for my family (2 kids ages 12 and 14). We've cruised on Regent to Alaska, Celebrity to Galapagos, Travel Dynamics to Europe, and Disney to the Caribbean (when the kids were little). I am looking at Voyage 3007(Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Barts, Tortola, St. Vincent and Grenadines), and at Voyage 1008 (San Juan, Martinique, Dominica, St. Kitts,St. Barts, St. Martin). The only place we've been before is St. Martin on the Disney Cruise, 9 years ago. Comments on the two itineraries? Voyage 3007 is more expensive, by about $2200. My husband is interested in golfing a couple of times - which ports have the best golf courses nearby? Will there be any other kids on these trips (just wondering, it's not a big deal if there aren't)? Also, will I have any say on the routing of flights to get to the cruise? I am hoping to avoid traveling through the Miami airport, if at all possible. Had a bad experience there trying to catch a connecting flight for our Galapagos cruise.

I agree. If your kids are used to other cruise ships as you posted, they will be bored to death. Their only options are: shuffleboard, ping-pong, sitting by the pool (no activities, except, maybe 1 pool volleyball game), watching videos in their suite, board games in the game room and reading in the library. There is no video arcade or any onboard staff to plan activities for them. This may not be their "thing", but you know your children and I don't.:)

Having sailed on many lines including Silversea, which I rate in my top 2, the line has nothing for kids absolutely nothing!

Disney is by far number one with Norwegian in the number two spot.

As much as you would enjoy the cruise, they pamper you from morning to night, the kids will hate it!

Well, let's be fair to Kathy from Naperville. I haven't seen any responses to her questions - just questioning whether to bring her teenagers on the cruise.

-

Of the various islands Barbados and San Juan PR have the most golfing options. To the best of my knowledge there is no golfing on Dominica, Tortola, St. V and the G's, St. Barths and limited golfing on Antigua and St. Martin. Depending on which cruise you select, you will want to arrive a couple days early for golf at either departure port.

-

Dominica has no beaches, but they do have interesting excursions inland with hiking and waterfalls. Martinique is beautiful when you get outside of the main city where you dock. Some French would also be very helpful here. If you normally walk off the ship it's also a hike into the city and the city is crowded and noisy (so rent a car and get out of the city).

-

St. Barths is pretty, expensive and easy to get around. The BVIs are particularly good for water sports (go on a sailing expedition).

-

Anyway, we would prefer the 1st itinerary, but the cost difference is pretty substantial so that could leave more money for....golf (which isn't cheap) and shopping (Phillipsburg on St. Maarten some of the best).

-

As for the teenagers - if they are well-behaved and don't require external motivation to have fun, SS could be OK. Otherwise, as the others have said, this is probably not the best cruise option for them. Jeff

nothing for children.go for the barbados cruise-a greater variety of islands.We have just returned from 51 day cruise which included all the islands you mentioned apart from san juan.the shadow was excellent.

Archived