beginner scuba diving and surffing lessons

tracyvansmith

I think that learning to surf at Waikiki is the best. There are several companies set up on the beach that will take you out. The waves are great for beginners. The other place is the beach by the pier in Lahaina. I can't give you a name but you might check "this week Maui", "Visit Maui", and "Maui Gold" magazines online to see who you might contact ahead of time. I learned to surf at the age of 40 with my kids, you will have so much fun.

As far as beginning scuba you might post on the scuba board. If you only have one day I don't know if you will find a reputable operator to take you out. My husband and sons scuba and had to receive their certification before diving. If you want I can give you the names of the two dive operators we use on Oahu, I think Surf n Sea in Haleiwa might do an introductory shore dive but I am not sure.

Hope this helps and you have a great time,

Cherie

Beginning surfing: Waikiki on Oahu (tons of it at Waikiki beach because it's shallow quite a ways out with a long stretch and usually easy conditions); Lahaina or Ka'anapali or possibly Wailea/Makena area on Maui all have surf lessons available; I think that there may be lessons at Kalapaki beach near the pier in Nawiliwili. Don't know about the BI.

For scuba, you might check into companies in the Kona/Kohala area of the BI and the west/south-west side of Maui.

beachchick

We will be on the Carnival Spirit in April and was wondering what port and company would you recommend for Beginner Scuba diving? Also what port and company would you recommend for Beginner surffing lessons?

Tracy, my husband and I are also goin on the Spirit leaving April 11. We are planning on taking surfing lessons in Kauai. We have a car reserved (as we do in the majority of the islands) and plan to take lessons at either Hanalei Bay or Poipu Beach. I have done a bit of research, and both look great for beginners lessons.

• 5 weeks later...
I think that learning to surf at Waikiki is the best. There are several companies set up on the beach that will take you out. The waves are great for beginners. The other place is the beach by the pier in Lahaina. I can't give you a name but you might check "this week Maui", "Visit Maui", and "Maui Gold" magazines online to see who you might contact ahead of time. I learned to surf at the age of 40 with my kids, you will have so much fun.

As far as beginning scuba you might post on the scuba board. If you only have one day I don't know if you will find a reputable operator to take you out. My husband and sons scuba and had to receive their certification before diving. If you want I can give you the names of the two dive operators we use on Oahu, I think Surf n Sea in Haleiwa might do an introductory shore dive but I am not sure.

Hope this helps and you have a great time,

Cherie

I am looking for a recommendation for a dive operator in Oahu, would be interested in the names of the operators your husband and sons used and their opinions of the operators (I am a certified diver)

Thanks

Archived