Question on Cruising Alone w/2 year old

Tggrtoes

Hi all,

I think I am leaning against this, but would like to get your opinion. My DH is unable to get the time off we had planned on to take our Carnival Carribean cruise this fall. I am, however, soooo need to get away. Can't think of a single thing to do where I can have some alone time and still have our DS as well.

I'm contemplating a 7 day Mexican Riviera (Carnival Splendor) cruise since it goes out of LA and would be a short flight from me here in Phoenix. My DS would love Camp Carmival I know and I could have balance of spending time with him and also alone. Would prefer something a little shorter, but all the short itineraries don't get into the warm climate at this time of year.

I'm nuts for considering this, right? We've cruised with him before, but of course DH was with me as well.

I don't think you're nutty at all -- but I have twins so 1-on-1 is already really good in my mind, as frequently I have to manage 2 kids by myself. I say go -- it's a good balance if you think he would enjoy Camp Carnival.

You would probably have a great time, especially if you could still get a little "me time" with DS at Camp Carnival! I love having alone time with my DS, but there are always little things that are hard to do. It's so much easier taking care of a little one on a ship...no cooking, etc.

On the other hand, keep in mind that there are restrictions specifically for Mexico on taking children without both parents. I don't know if it applies to travel on cruise ships, but you should probably look into it.

We have a 3 year old and I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think my DH would go for that. Another GREAT vacation idea with GREAT childcare is Club Med. We've been to Ixtapa and Punta Cana. Both were great! Petit Club Med offers cool activities. Probably more so than Camp Carnival. If I was doing it solo, I'd go for Club Med over a cruise because it's easier to meet people. Also, you wouldn't have to be gone 7 days.

I cruised alone four years ago with my then 2 and 5 year old on Disney. We had a great time and I only put her in the babysitting for a total of 4 hours (since you had to pay:)). I would cruise alone on Carnival or NCL right now with my 2, 6, and 9 year old in a heartbeat. My 2 year old son is such a handful but I don't have to cook or clean so that is enough incentive for me. Hope you choose what is right for you and have a great time!

If you are thinking of going soon you could do the Carnival Paradise out of LA or the Carnival Elation out of San Diego.

The Elation still has a few cruises going to Cabo. She's leaving San Diego in April.

There is a fantastic kid's museum in San Diego near the port.

I cruise alone all the time with 3 kids. It would certainly be much easier with just one!;) There's another poster on this board who has cruised alone with twins since they were babies. If I waited until there was someone willing to cruise with me or take a vacation with me, I'd likely die of old age first. Seriously. So, I do it on my own.

If you are nuts than so am I :D

But I do it with TWO kids.

If my hubby can't go, then I go without him. I used to take the kids every year on one land based vacation without the hubby because he gets less vacation time than I do. Then I started comparing prices and figuring that it was cheaper to just take the kids on a cruise with me every year. So now the kids hop on a cruise every year alone with me, it started when my youngest was 2.

A little bit of advice to make it not so scary. Go to the CC roll call and see if there are others going -- get involved in the conversation. That's what I always do. So by the time we get onboard, I already have friends onboard. Adults that I can go to the theatre with or have dinner with at night while the kids go to the camp.

I say go for it! You will have a great time!

**Just don't forget your "Permission to Travel" form - Have your husband type up a quick letter giving you permission to take HIS son out of the country and have it notarized. It doesn't matter if you all share the same name. It doesn't matter happily married you are ;). This is a border/customs issue. Just protect yourself - have the paper and save the hassle.

I have done many trips alone with my 2 girls, starting when they were 1 and 3. A cruise is by far the easiest, no cooking, no cleaning, no trying to find suitable places to eat, and lots of entertainment.

I found the hardest thing was the luggage at the airport, so I just make sure to pack smartly. If I need more than 2 bags, I make sure to have luggage that attaches to the wheeled bags, so I am still only pulling 2 bags.

Have lots of fun and enjoy you time alone with your child.

I am taking my 7-yo DS on a cruise (also the Splendor) by myself in March. His dad and I are in the process of getting a divorce, and this will be a much-needed treat for both of us. I chose a cruise for exactly the reasons you mentioned -- time alone for me to veg/get spa treatments/whatever, time for him to play w/ other kids, and time for the two of us to do things together. The three of us took a cruise together last summer, it was our DS' first cruise (Mariner) and he absolutely loved it. He must ask me once a week "when are we going on another cruise?" This cruise is a week after his bday so I am waiting till his bday to surprise him.

I have travelled w/ DS several times by myself - long weekends to visit family/friends, and one week to Disneyworld when he was 5, when work conflicts prevented DH from coming with us. When I found out my DH couldn't go, I seriously considered canceling the trip. He insisted we go, and so we went, although I was nervous about it. We ended up having the *best* time and we have such great memories from that trip. And, that week at Disney gave me a big boost of confidence -- long flights (AZ to FL), all the parks, renting a condo and a car, etc. To me, going on a cruise w/ DS is a no-brainer -- I don't have to worry about him getting lost/separated from me (except for when we're off the ship in port), and soooo many choices and options to keep him entertained.

So, I say GO! You will both have a great time and create wonderful memories.

Hi everyone,

Haven't had any time to get back to this until today. Thanks so much everyone for your comments. It was such a relief to hear all the support. Some of my non-cruising friends thought I was nuts, so I was beginning to think so too! My DH is 100% supportive, which is wonderful.

Great idea, Cruisin'Mama on getting involved in the role call boards. THAT was my one big worry... would I feel like the loser and not know anyone. I'm reasonably outgoing, but wasn't sure I'd be THAT outgoing. Worried that going a full week without any real adult conversation might be a little too long! Course, my two year old can say some pretty interesting stuff! :D

You all are GREAT!!! Thanks for spending the time to pass on your knowledge, thoughts, etc.

Archived