Rum Runners or bottles?

Krissta

If nothing else, it will save some weight for the plane ride home if you haven't emptied your bottles. We pack and plan for the amount of drinking that we'll do for the week but we never use all of the liquor that we bring, because we end up buying drinks onboard at different times. If we still had half-full bottles, we'd probably end up leaving them to allow for the additional weight of souveniers. When we take the Rumrunners, it's a whole lot lighter.

• 5 weeks later...
Just curious, what do you mix the sweet tea vodka with?

You are supposed to just mix it with water and a lemon wedge but I love making an Arnold Palmer out of it and mixing it with lemonade. Just mixing water with it sounds gross but trust me its not, its tastes like real iced tea! :]

I don't want to rain on anyones parade if they choose to bring alcohol onboard the ship. Carnival is now cracking down on smuggled alcohol and requires all luggage to be unlocked when you get to the port. I am assuming they are scanning all bags and removing the smuggled alcohol and leaving a nice note that it will be returned at the end of the cruise.

I could be wrong, but they're wise on the ways people smuggle so they would look for rum runners. I would check into it a little more before trying to get it aboard if it is possible they will take it away until the last night of the cruise!

I did smuggle a bottle of rum on my last cruise, only a mickey size, and mixed the raspberry flavoured rum with lemonade...YUM!!!!! I still had a couple of drinks a day AND I got a coconut monkey head *BG*

I don't want to rain on anyones parade if they choose to bring alcohol onboard the ship. Carnival is now cracking down on smuggled alcohol and requires all luggage to be unlocked when you get to the port. I am assuming they are scanning all bags and removing the smuggled alcohol and leaving a nice note that it will be returned at the end of the cruise.

I could be wrong, but they're wise on the ways people smuggle so they would look for rum runners. I would check into it a little more before trying to get it aboard if it is possible they will take it away until the last night of the cruise!

I did smuggle a bottle of rum on my last cruise, only a mickey size, and mixed the raspberry flavoured rum with lemonade...YUM!!!!! I still had a couple of drinks a day AND I got a coconut monkey head *BG*

They do not require luggage to be unlocked... they backed down on that and the new info just says that they recommend it.

When we cruised on the Carnival Fantasy in Aug. '09., we took 1.75 litre plastic bottles in our checked luggage, double wrapped them in plastic garbage bags, and we had no problem at all. Now our case of diet Coke in our checked luggage that we didn't wrap in plastic? That was a different story. Lesson learned!

When we cruised on the Carnival Fantasy in Aug. '09., we took 1.75 litre plastic bottles in our checked luggage, double wrapped them in plastic garbage bags, and we had no problem at all. Now our case of diet Coke in our checked luggage that we didn't wrap in plastic? That was a different story. Lesson learned!

What you did in 09 has little to do with what is happening in 10 with what looks like increased enforcement. I have been lucky to get a bottle on each cruise I have been on too. I feel that just putting a bottle in checked luggage might be a thing of the past. It is too easy to pick up the shape of the bottle in an x-ray.

I think like some have said in the past, this is a ramp up for spring break, after that it will be business as usual

As long as you pad them/pack well, glass is better. If you pack a soft sided suitcase with clothes and put a glass bottle on top before closing it, it may break. But if you wrap it in clothes or some sort of padding material, and put it in the middle of your suitcase, you are good. When it comes to pressure, glass wins. Stand on a glass rum bottle, it won't break. Stand on a rum runner, it will break, but will better handle impact. Best of both worlds? Buy liquor in plastic bottles if possible and put on ziplock bags and pad it well..

What you did in 09 has little to do with what is happening in 10 with what looks like increased enforcement. I have been lucky to get a bottle on each cruise I have been on too. I feel that just putting a bottle in checked luggage might be a thing of the past. It is too easy to pick up the shape of the bottle in an x-ray.

I think like some have said in the past, this is a ramp up for spring break, after that it will be business as usual

Seriously? The liquor ban is an unenforceable rule. Think of the logistics involved with hand searching 4000 pieces of luggage. And the type of bottle you use has little to do with liquor enforcement. Liquor in a soft plastic flask is no more or less visible on x-ray than that in a hard plastic or glass bottle. Rum Runners are a waste of money, IMO, unless you don't know how to pack. Then they are of some value.

I don't understand - why are Rum Runners so great? If they're just plastic, couldn't you just as easily use plastic water bottles? Or buy liquor in plastic bottles? Why would a Rum Runner get through security any easier?

IMO - when they scan the checked luggage there's a better chance for them to see a bottle, glass more so than plastic. Rum runners are a softer plastic than plastic bottles and therefore less likely to be identified by x-ray. A little creative packing might also help.

With the new rule where your 1 bottle of wine/champagne must be in your carry on luggage, anything in your checked bag that resembles a bottle on the x-ray may be flagged and may be searched.

It appears they have also changed the rules if they catch you with excessive alcohol and will hold it for you until the last night of the cruise - except for rum runners - those would fit into the category of "unsealed liquids" and would be confiscated and discarded.

So, if you have rum runners and get caught - bye bye! If you have liquor in the original unopened plastic bottle and get caught, as least you'll get it back.

If you move alcohol from it's original bottle to another container, I believe it will be considered unsealed and will be discarded.

I accepted my contract and produced my e-docs long before they adjusted their policies.

I plan on packing in my checked luggage (1 pc.) 2 bottles of wine (1.5 liters). Both my e-docs and contract do not limit the size or the required location of the wine, so I am going to give it a shot.

If they confiscate it, I feel I have a reasonable chance of getting it back since I'll be armed with both my contract and e-docs...

Time will tell...

I plan on packing in my checked luggage (1 pc.) 2 bottles of wine (1.5 liters). Both my e-docs and contract do not limit the size or the required location of the wine, so I am going to give it a shot.

If they confiscate it, I feel I have a reasonable chance of getting it back since I'll be armed with both my contract and e-docs...

Time will tell...

Carnival now wants you to carry on your wine/champagne. If you place it in your checked bag they will take it and give it back at the end of your cruise.

Archived