Rum Runners or bottles?

Krissta

Since we're flying to FL a day early, we were going to buy our alcohol there. So my question is should we just put the bottles in the checked luggage, or should we still buy the Rum Runners and use those instead?

You do not need to use Rum Runner flasks to get hooch on board in your checked luggage. Other lines like NCL screen for bottles and will call you to their naughty room to examine your luggage. Still Rum Runners are very convenient for packing and taking ashore so you may want to use them anyway. The choice is yours.

Have you ever watched your luggage (cruise or airport) being processed by the luggage handlers? Gentle is not a word to describe their work. My question is, do you want to start your vacation with your clothing soaked with booze? To avoid this use plastic flasks or rum runners.

I wouldn't go to a crapload of trouble concealing it in your checked bag (I've boarded with a 30 pack in my checked bag with no problems more than once) but you definitely want to consider durability. I wouldn't recommend glass unless you want to reek of vodka all week.

I've taken booze onboard both in glass (wrapped and separated) and in Rum Runners. I haven't had a problem yet (oops...jinks). Rum Runners are very convenient and do stand up very well, they also stand up as in stand up on the table and pour well. They're so cheap the shipping costs more than the flask.

Jake

We're arriving into FFL the day before our cruise as well and plan to purchase some booze then. Fill our Rum Runners and not have to worry about anything breaking. I've used our Rum Runners a couple times now and they are great!

We arrived in Miami the day before our cruise and I picked up bottles of booze (1/2 bottles) of Vodka and Captain Morgans. I used triple layers of zip top bags and put them in the western boots. No problem. Well the only problem was;

What was I thinking only taking 1/2 bottles!! :p

We had the same issue with flying in. we decided to go with two 32oz rum runners. sweet tea vodka in one and rum in the other... Perfect. They are cheap and seem durable. I think it's the way to go from now on. No more worries about broken bottles.:D

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I got nervous thinking about all those bottles! :( And then I started thinking how much alcohol costs in FL versus NH... Maybe we'll just get the Rum Runners and fill them here... lol

Krista,

We used one liter soda bottles for our contraband.. I sealed the lids with duct tape and put them in plastic bags....checked the bags straight thru from Boston to MIA, and then at the port till the bag was delivered to our room.

We had the same issue with flying in. we decided to go with two 32oz rum runners. sweet tea vodka in one and rum in the other... Perfect. They are cheap and seem durable. I think it's the way to go from now on. No more worries about broken bottles.:D

Just curious, what do you mix the sweet tea vodka with?

Just curious, what do you mix the sweet tea vodka with?

I've heard of people mixing with ginger ale and a twist of lemon or lime...I would imagine you just need to try a couple of things like lemonade or sprite...Always just rum runners for me , they are safer and more flexible...NCL and RCI are very strict about smuggling, just pack next to your shaving bag (wink wink).....Dennis

We aren't liquor snobs, so we purchased our liquor in the plastic liter sized bottles and tucked them securely in our luggage, more important to not forget is to pack the fruit punch mix!! We bought the Walmart brand fruit punch powder and it did just fine.

Are these ok to really fly with? I know to put them in your checked luggage, but they won't flip out when they see plastic bags with liquid in them?

No, you're checking them. It isn't like you are going to go into the belly of the plane to ignite your rum runner bomb.

Archived