The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I just read about the horrendous accident on the Beachline on Merritt Island. My prayers to the families of the 2 drivers.

Shirley I read on DIS boards that you and your DH missed this mess by 15 minutes, thank goodness you're ok.

I'm wondering now how we should alter our route to get to PC now. We will be coming from I95. I read the eastbound lane could be close for 25 days or so. I'm sure many of us would appreciate a suggested route. Thank you in advance for suggestions.

JoAnn

Hello JoAnn,

Norm and I got on the East bound side around 3:20 PM - traffic was normal and less than 15 minutes later, everyone was yelling about a horrific accident there on Merritt Island.

I lived here when 528 was started and remembered how many times my children played on that bridge after its construction but still closed to traffic - the accident was very sad

Anyhow I will keep posting the updates from the newspaper so that you can see what the planned route is - We took it yesterday and although it is not going to be as easy as driving straight through, I really believe everyone will be ok - just be cautious which is something that should be done anyway.

Blessings always

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110123/NEWS01/101230328/1006/Crews+scurry+to+repair+road

PS Joann you can get off at Hwy 520 and drive through Cocoa, Merritt Island and then Cocoa Beach - the only turn you will make is once you get into Cocoa Beach - you turn LEFT TO GO TO CAPE CANAVERAL or RIGHT TO COCOA BEACH - you can call or email any of the hotels you are staying at and I know they will do everything possible to make your trip over as easy as possible

Edited by snelsonbrown

Shirley, I'm looking at a Google map now, it looks like if we get off at 520 and stay on till we hit A1A would work too. We're saying at the Radisson.

Thanks for any updates.

JoAnn

That will work but my guess is that it will take you longer.

Have anyone use Executive Vip limo service lately? I'm trying to find any reviews, pictures, or limo type info if you have any. I'm hoping to use them for our Disney Cruise in June. TIA

We just used them and were extremely happy with their service.

We rode in a stretch limo from MCO to the Radisson(The town car we were to use was running late. So Mike used the stretch....:D)..and had a Lincoln Town Car for the ride from the port to MCO after our cruise.

Cars were very clean and in good condition.

PS...I would book them ASAP..they are very busy with cruise pax...and they are reasonably priced so they book up quickly.

Edited by Bakincakes

OMG come on down - our weather is beautiful and will be up in the 80's next week

Now listen closely DO NOT BRING THE COLD WEATHER DOWN WITH YA OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sun is out and it seems just like a cool spring day --no not bragging, just wanted to share :)

hugsssssssssssss

OMG come on down - our weather is beautiful and will be up in the 80's next week

The sun is out and it seems just like a cool spring day --no not bragging, just wanted to share :)

hugsssssssssssss

We will be there on Feb 7th. Please have good weather for us that week! We are supposed to have snow here this coming week, ugh.

hugsssssssssssss

Shirley i could not agree more. I have my windows open!!!!!!

You are all welcome to come here but we must insist you leave the cold at the border.

We used Avis rental car to get from Disney World (we stayed for a few days before our cruise) to port on 1/15. Renting from the Hilton near Downtown Disney was pretty simple and we got our car quickly. Drove to Avis in Cape Canaveral without any problems. Once we got there and returned the car we found out that one of Avis's shuttle buses had broke down and there were about 15 people waiting for transportation to the port. However, after a short wait (maybe 5 minutes) a Budget shuttle and the other Avis shuttle pulled up and everyone was able to make it to the port. The Avis employees apologized for the inconvenience and were very nice. Once we returned from the cruise we waited for about 15 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up from port and take us back to the rental office. We got a car and were on our way with no problems. We did forget to fill the car up before returning it to MCO (our fault completely, as we got close to the airport we didn't see a gas station and just decided to return the car) so it did cost us an extra $13.99 for the gas. The only complaint I have was that we were charged for LDW even though we declined it. I kept my receipt that shows we declined it even though the email receipt I received shows we were charged for it and they are refunding the charge (I'm still waiting for my refund though and it's been 5 days, they said it would take 48 hours). But overall everything was very simple. I know I had read some negative reviews of the Cape Canaveral Avis lately and I just wanted to put it out there that our experience was a good one despite a few problems and that we would use them again.

We used Avis rental car to get from Disney World (we stayed for a few days before our cruise) to port on 1/15. Renting from the Hilton near Downtown Disney was pretty simple and we got our car quickly. Drove to Avis in Cape Canaveral without any problems. Once we got there and returned the car we found out that one of Avis's shuttle buses had broke down and there were about 15 people waiting for transportation to the port. However, after a short wait (maybe 5 minutes) a Budget shuttle and the other Avis shuttle pulled up and everyone was able to make it to the port. The Avis employees apologized for the inconvenience and were very nice. Once we returned from the cruise we waited for about 15 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up from port and take us back to the rental office. We got a car and were on our way with no problems. We did forget to fill the car up before returning it to MCO (our fault completely, as we got close to the airport we didn't see a gas station and just decided to return the car) so it did cost us an extra $13.99 for the gas. The only complaint I have was that we were charged for LDW even though we declined it. I kept my receipt that shows we declined it even though the email receipt I received shows we were charged for it and they are refunding the charge (I'm still waiting for my refund though and it's been 5 days, they said it would take 48 hours). But overall everything was very simple. I know I had read some negative reviews of the Cape Canaveral Avis lately and I just wanted to put it out there that our experience was a good one despite a few problems and that we would use them again.

Look drop Bob from Avis a note if you don't get your refund soon and he will take care of it without any further problems - this email is Surfercal8@aol.com

Budget and Avis are sisters but really all the rental agencies help each other here when it is needed which is something I really respect them for.

Glad all went well and come back when you can

With as many as 10,000 people in and out of here on any given day all do an amazing job.

I have tried to read most of this thread and need some help. We are a group of seven and have the following needs:

1. a nice clean hotel or condo (pre-cruise)

2. transportation from Orlando to Port Canaveral and back again

3. dinner the night before our cruise

Our group includes five "twenty- somethings" so we are looking for fun

I have tried to read most of this thread and need some help. We are a group of seven and have the following needs:

1. a nice clean hotel or condo (pre-cruise)

2. transportation from Orlando to Port Canaveral and back again

3. dinner the night before our cruise

Our group includes five "twenty- somethings" so we are looking for fun

Try this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...&postcount=862

As for food the port has 4 hoppin places!

What are the names of the hopping places? Is the raddison clean and in good condition? Thanks for the information.... I appreciate the advice

Radisson is wonderful and Joe P and Robert are two great guys who go the extra mile to make certain their guests are well taken care of.:)

Edited by Bakincakes

Good morning everybody

I am getting ready to update post #862 and wanted to know if anyone had any special inquires for me to check on and listed on the update - I know some of the links are broken, but will try to make sure every one of them are working although not much time is given for editing and me I get so darn nervous with the rushing just to make sure they all work such as the weather, where to get the best gas prices, etc. I have to make some changes since of the businesses are no longer opened to prevent folks from going only to find that the place is no longer there -

Anyhow just give me a heads up ok?

Oh by the way, the new bridge is really going up fast and looks like the company will meet the deadline. Again I know it is very inconvient BUT at least it does move and you will get to where you want to go - please keep the patience high and the speed slow:)

Thanks for everything everyone does for each other here - you are so appreciated

Hugssssssssssss

just me chatting with you during early coffee time :)

Edited by snelsonbrown

I paid little attention to the bridge fire, but now we're going to be driving south on I-95 to the port. I don't imagine that the construction will affect us from I-95 east, but not sure. What do you think? Should we just stay on A1A or not?