Chichen Itza Tour

GardenIris

We are planning on taking the Chichen Itza tour with Carnival. Looks to be pretty much an all day excursion. Does anyone know if you get back with enough time to at least do a bit of shopping at the pier before having to get back to the ship?

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the Chichen Itza tour!! You do get back with a little time to shop but maybe like an hour or 30 minutes. Do not skip out on the tour- they do stop for 15 minutes on the way there so you can look through some of the stores there and take a break. I know that is not alot of time but the ruins are extraordinary! The history that surrounds the whole site is amazing and breath taking! If you can try and climb the pyramid- what a view when you get to the top. I almost did not do this tour and now I am so glad I did- it is so worth the 2 hour bus ride- which the tour guides take turns telling you a little background history on the Mayans and their culture- very interesting!

Hope this helps- let me know!

Nicole

CaribbeanCrazy- the answers to your questions are:

1. We got to the ruins about 10:30 and we left at 1:00 so we were there for 2 1/2 hours.

2. Yes the bus ride is 2 hours each way- sometimes the scenery is nice, but at times it is very desert like and there are a few shacks and houses dotted throughout the trip. The tour guides talk most of the way there and back so you are distracted from the scenery. If you want you can even siesta on the way to and from the ruins.

3. Yes lunch was included if you want to call it lunch- it was a sack lunch with a ham sandwich that sits on the bus the entire time you are at the ruins (not in a cooler), chips, donuts, apple, and a mango juice box to drink. We ate the chips and donuts and that was it- we took our own water bottle- highly recommended- and just ate lunch when we got back on the ship. If you think about it ahead of time pack a small backpack with non perishable snack stuff, but you can not take nuts or fruit off or on to the ship. Be sure to get up in time to go to breakfast (buffet in Tiffany's) so that you will not be starving by the time the tour is over. We did this and were fine until we got back to the ship at about 3:30 p.m.

Let me know if you need any other info and I will get back to you.

Nicole

CaribbeanCrazy- the answers to your questions are:

1. We got to the ruins about 10:30 and we left at 1:00 so we were there for 2 1/2 hours.

2. Yes the bus ride is 2 hours each way- sometimes the scenery is nice, but at times it is very desert like and there are a few shacks and houses dotted throughout the trip. The tour guides talk most of the way there and back so you are distracted from the scenery. If you want you can even siesta on the way to and from the ruins.

3. Yes lunch was included if you want to call it lunch- it was a sack lunch with a ham sandwich that sits on the bus the entire time you are at the ruins (not in a cooler), chips, donuts, apple, and a mango juice box to drink. We ate the chips and donuts and that was it- we took our own water bottle- highly recommended- and just ate lunch when we got back on the ship. If you think about it ahead of time pack a small backpack with non perishable snack stuff, but you can not take nuts or fruit off or on to the ship. Be sure to get up in time to go to breakfast (buffet in Tiffany's) so that you will not be starving by the time the tour is over. We did this and were fine until we got back to the ship at about 3:30 p.m.

Let me know if you need any other info and I will get back to you.

Nicole

We're on Elation 6 Feb 05. Did you talk to anyone on your cruise ho rented a car ot a private tour to Itza? We have a group of 6 adults and are thinking of trying that. Thanks,

Don

I also loved the tour. Our guide was great. Yes, the bus ride is long but like someone said the guide talks most of the way there. The time really does fly. There is one stop, for bathroom and you can shop there. We spent about 2 and half hours at the ruins the sites are amazing. The bus ride home is long but, you will notice that the majority of the bus sleeps the way back. Lunch is provided, however, I would suggest you get a cooler backpack for the crusie and order room service, sandwiches and bring your own lunch this way you know where your lunch came form. We did this and ate, the lunch provided on the way there and the lunch from the ship on the way back. To do this it requires some extra planning such as bring ziploc bags but it is worth it and saves money on food. We did this every morning their we were in port.

Don-

I did not talk to anyone who was doing a private tour. I booked through the ship at $77 per person which I thought was going to be closer to $100 from everything I have read on these boards. I just was not that comfortable with the private tour seeing how we had to drive 2 hours each way to get there. That was my only hang up for doing the ship vs. private- the driving factor.

Nicole

We're on Elation 6 Feb 05. Did you talk to anyone on your cruise ho rented a car ot a private tour to Itza? We have a group of 6 adults and are thinking of trying that. Thanks,

Don

I am attaching the communicatons (w/o pricing) that transpired for our private tour of Chitzen Itza. We were a party of five but the van could have held six, 1 in front, 3 in middle, and 2 in rear. The cost was competitive with the ship tour, but we had a very good guide and were able to do the ruins on our schedule. Fearful of missing the ship, we made an agreement that if we missed the ship, we would be transported to Playa to catch the ship the next day in Cozumel. This was probably unnecessary and the driver/guide (Jose) made SURE we got back on time.

As adders, we were on the Elation on Jan2, which was delayed nine hours in port due to fog and fueling delays. Nonetheless, the captain made port on schedule. If not, we would have been out some significant bucks.

At the docking area, I saw signs that cabs were available to go the round trip to Chichen Itza, with (from memory) the starting prices at $190. I don't think that would have included admission or guide services, however. and six would not make it in a single cab.

"Yes, I am glad can confirm rate for this private

day tour Progreso-Chichen Itza.

Rate includes: transportation in a/c van, bilingual (English-Spanish)

professional tour guide, lunch, archaeological site entrance fees, road

fees, pick up and off right off the boat.

Does not include: drinks, use of videocamera fees, tips.

There is a lower rate for the same as above but without lunch.

Will you want to make reservation, initial 50% deposit is required in order

to confirm arrangements and to issue via internet link proper reservation

confirmation to bring with you upon arrival. Balance is due upon arrival

directly to your tour guide in cash pesos or dollars (no traveler checks,

neither credit cards please).

Please find deposit/reservation policies at:

http://www.yucatantravel.com/ytppdt.html

Also, for your convenience, side trips on your way to Chichen Itza or back

can be arranged and paid directly to your tour guide.

Please reply at your earliest convenience."

Sincerely,

Juan Ojeda.

• 3 weeks later...

We rented a car at the pier and drove to Chichen Itza ourselves. It saved us considerable money. It was $77 to rent the car for the whole day. The drive was pretty easy. You take 2 roads the whole way there so it was really simple to find. We used Executive Car Rentals and they have an office right there at the pier.

Archived