Chacchoben Mayan Ruins?? Anyone been?

kalowa

We are thinking of the Native Choice tour, but I'm nervous about booking the tour with the lunch with the Mayan family, even though it sounds like fun, due to concerns about stomach-upset issues (not spicy food, but germs). Is this a concern? Given that this company is getting such great reviews, it's hard to believe that people are getting sick, but why do you feel that it's "safe" to eat/drink on this tour? Same kind of question about whatever drinks they serve on the bus returning from the ruins tour -- what is it and is it safe? Thanks!

We too had concerns before we went a couple of weeks ago, but the families that do this are aware of proper health and sanitation practices, and are inspected by the health dept. every three months. Food was served hot, and dishes were covered until they started to serve. We were assured that the water that was used came from a safe source and not from the well that was on the property. Our kids said their favourite food was the Hibiscus tea that was served with the meal. The food was very flavourful but certainly not spicy. In fact I wish it were spicier.

You can check out their website for more details. http://www.thenativechoice.com/mayan_experience.php For me this was one of the most interesting and worthwhile excursions that I have ever been on.

N.

Just to echo previous posters, booking the ruins (either by themselves, or with the visit with the Mayan family- Mayan Experience- or with the trip to the Laguna Azul- Chacchoben Extreme) through The Native Choice is really the way to go. They are extremely professionally-run, and learning about this history and culture from a true local Mayan who is proud of his heritage is an experience that can't be beat. I'm so glad I met Ivan and got to hear the passion with which he tells stories about his own experiences and his family- the fact that his mother pushed him to get an education and pursue opportunities outside his village, but that his father dreamt that he would keep close to his roots and become a shaman. This endeavor really does come close to fulfilling both of those dreams of his parents. It was just a really amazing experience, and I can't imagine doing it with anyone else.

While having a tour guide all to yourself can be great; I feel the fact that the operators of Native Choice grew up on the site before their father discovered the ruins brings another layer of understanding of the site that can't be beat. They also make it easy to get to the meeting place.

N.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the tour and Mayan Experience with Native Choice last week. I would, without hesitation, reccomend this comany and this excursion. They all have a personal pride in sharing their culture which sets the experience apart from other tour operators. We had no concerns with the quality of the food prepared. This experience was a highlight of the cruise. Thank you Native Choice!

We did the tour and Mayan Experience with Native Choice last week. I would, without hesitation, reccomend this comany and this excursion. They all have a personal pride in sharing their culture which sets the experience apart from other tour operators. We had no concerns with the quality of the food prepared. This experience was a highlight of the cruise. Thank you Native Choice!

We agree competely - The Native Choice offers a really great excursion. Their guides were knowledgeable and proud of their culture.

We compared notes with another couple from our cruise who went through the cruise ship sponsored tour -- while were really happy with The Native Choice and the smaller group tour, our cruisemates were disappointed about how they were rushed through their big bus tour.

We were also happy that we got to see a monkey and the fruit bats in the tree. Here's a link to some of our pics:

4431331578_f41978e0af.jpg

this tour sounds great by the native choice but.....don't know which choice to pick?? the chacchoben extreme tour sounds nice ,do you swim there or just rent kayak and is this the same lunch as the fishing village that shows you how to make tortilla? has anyone done this tour??:confused:

this tour sounds great by the native choice but.....don't know which choice to pick?? the chacchoben extreme tour sounds nice ,do you swim there or just rent kayak and is this the same lunch as the fishing village that shows you how to make tortilla? has anyone done this tour??:confused:

I guess it depends on what you find interesting. If you want a more cultural experience and to see how a Mayan family lives today; not to mention learn how to make a tortilla; then you would find the Mayan experience tour more interesting. The village isn't a fishing village and is about 30 to 45 minutes inland. (This is the tour that we did.)

If you want a more active and adventurous excursion, then take the Mayan Extreme Tour to Laguna Azul for the kayaking, swimming and lunch. Either way you can't go wrong with the guides at Native Choice.

http://www.thenativechoice.com/

Did the ruins-only chacchoben tour about 2 wks ago... EXCELLENT WITH DAVID. he knows so much about the mayan site- customs, religion, & cultural diffences, AND speaks fluent english. BUT for me 1 set of ruins is enough. comfortable a/c van. highly recommend Native Choice & this shorter tour with david.

We found the info here really useful in planning our day in Costa Maya, but we had a hard time finding pictures before our trip. In an effort to give back, here's what we did in Costa Maya and what it looked like the first week of March.

Sunrise on Costa Maya - that's the very long pier you'll walk down. The buildings are the shopping village.

4431359244_8f32c6953e.jpg

We walked through the shopping village and through security to meet The Native Choice tour for our excursion to the Chacchoben Ruins (see that thread for more info).

4431331578_f41978e0af.jpg

We also saw a monkey, a fruit bat, and a sapsucker.

4438068883_ef898fa6c4.jpg

At Chacchoben, we bought a really cool mask from a local Mayan artisan.

4438081275_08f8a13ae6.jpg

Back on board the Native Choice vans, we stopped for locally grown pineapple. Try the spicy pineapple if you have a chance. It's delicious!

We returned to the port for a little shopping and a tasty beverage, while many of our shipmates enjoyed the pool in the plaza.

4431359578_a983594c17.jpg

The afternoon sun on the water was a nice ending to a very good day in Costa Maya.

4430591537_a240260b00.jpg

I wanna go baaaaaaaaaack! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing the pics. Though I'm still harboring a small resentment for being bumped by your charter (just kidding) :)

Yikes CowPrincess! Sorry about that. We did, however, enjoy our charter very much. (great screen name by the way)

Thanks adventuregrrl :) Glad you enjoyed the charter. We were booked for Feb 21 and 28 (I think) and then we got bumped on the Feb 28 week. Didn't want to cruise the 1st cruise out of drydock (Ryndam was scheduled originally for drydock from mid-Jan to mid-Fed) so we got PUT into mid-March for 2 weeks. That was WAY too long to wait for vacation, AND we didn't want to be in Florida at the height of spring break. So we did 2 weeks before the rescheduled drydock. She was due for drydock -- we were on the cruise that had engine and thruster problems, and a fire onboard :eek: (along with assorted other minor inconveniences) :)

So nice to see those pics -- like being back there!

The sea looks so calm in your pics -- I'm going to try to find a pic of our 2nd visit there.... "calm" is NOT the word to use!

She was due for drydock -- we were on the cruise that had engine and thruster problems, and a fire onboard :eek: (along with assorted other minor inconveniences) :)...

The sea looks so calm in your pics -- I'm going to try to find a pic of our 2nd visit there.... "calm" is NOT the word to use!

Oh no! The ms Ryndam looks very nice after the dry dock and the only issue that I knew of was that the power went out when were docked in Cozumel.

The sea was really rough in Cozumel, so much that the snorkeling boats weren't going out. Costa Maya was pretty calm.

Glad you liked the pics. We had a great day there and really enjoyed the Native Choice tour too.

I am on the Ryndam April 11. I've enjoyed your pics, here and on Flickr. Do you have any of the interior of the Ryndam? Since the drydock, there are very few/no pictures of the revamped interior. Thanks so much!

Sorry to hijack the Chacchoben Ruins thread with general Costa Maya info. It looks like the moderator decided to move the general thread here.

Joshuamg - I don't have many inside pics, but the ship is in good shape. Our room looked brand new. They were still doing exterior painting, so you'll be in really good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked the Native Choice tour/lunch for our party of 8 when we are there on April 5. This was due to the many positive reviews on CC. Actually I have not yet seen a negative review about this company. Anyway - in past threads there has been mention regarding taking a gift for the host family (or matriarch) of the family. Can anyone respond to this? I would love to take something appropriate for the women, or children of the home, or village where we will be going.

Archived