What happens when you miss the ship?

Embracedbylife

WHEREVER you go in the world, and WHATEVER Shore Excursion you take, make sure that you SEE some kind of guarantee that the tour operator will get you back to the boat on time. (i.e. it is their responsibility).

...Please DON'T miss the ship !!

Glad to hear it's not just me who is an over planner! :) I just don't want to be sitting waiving goodbye to the ship without a game plan - not that I ever plan on missing it, but things can happen! I live in NYC so i know that with traffic or an accident you can get stuck in 2 hrs of traffic to go 5 miles - it just happens! That's why we always take the ship's tour becuase they are obligated to take care of you. When you go on your own you are on your own! So we'll take the venture on our own and plan it out well and aim to be back on board for 4pm latest and the ship leaves at 6pm. That will give us 2 hours for traffic (leaving the beach at 1:30pm to catch the 2pm ferry) and another 2 hours leaway to gain. Should be ok, but you just never know! :)

I am not sure why, but I think I read most of this thread. Call it morbid curiosity if you like.

I think anyone that is worried as much as you are is going to spend the entire day away from the ship clock-watching and worrying about missing the ship instead of enjoying yourselves. The islands are not NY or LA. You will be fine - and if you do not believe that, then take the ship trip.

I think i'll be ok and not worry much now that I am prepared! If I wasn't prepared I'd have a tendancy to worry - but I got it covered at this point and feel comfortable doing it on our own. If I still felt concerned I'd do like you said and do the ship's tour. But it seems very do-albe and worth it. Can't wait to see St. John!! :)

Even if we are in St. Thomas (which is part of the US) and the next stop is our final stop at San Juan (which is also part of the US) ? You think we'd have problems flying from St. Thomas to San Juan without passport but with a driver's license? I hate carrying my passport around with fear it'll be lost/stolen??

What do you think that Passport is for ? What's the matter with you ?

Get one of those holders that goes around your neck, under your shirt. I put copies of my passport in each suitcase (along with itinerary, including hotels & flight information). However, I always wear my Passport under my shirt whenever I leave the ship.

;);):D;);)

What do you think that Passport is for ? What's the matter with you ?

Get one of those holders that goes around your neck, under your shirt. I put copies of my passport in each suitcase (along with itinerary, including hotels & flight information). However, I always wear my Passport under my shirt whenever I leave the ship.

;);):D;);)

I"m sorry but there isn't anything wrong with me. I plan to swim and snorkel at each port and don't plan to worry about getting my passport soaked and loosing it off my neck. Thanks for your concern, but just because you carry your's around your neck doesn't mean I want to do this while i'm swimming. I'll have my underwater camera around my neck, and other items with me to worry about. It took a lot for me to get my passport, so it's not that simple. thanks though for your concern.

Well you don't have to take your passport with you, just don't miss the ship. Do understand though that if flights are full, there may be other flights to get you to S.J. that go through other areas and you will not be able to use those options. Just traveling in the U.S. we had some friends that were stuck in Minneapolis and couldn't get a flight to SLC or DEN to get home from there. Had they had a passport they could have taken a flight to Canada and then a flight to SLC. At least you'll have a camera so you can take a picture of the ship leaving the area.:D

Well you don't have to take your passport with you, just don't miss the ship. Do understand though that if flights are full, there may be other flights to get you to S.J. that go through other areas and you will not be able to use those options. Just traveling in the U.S. we had some friends that were stuck in Minneapolis and couldn't get a flight to SLC or DEN to get home from there. Had they had a passport they could have taken a flight to Canada and then a flight to SLC. At least you'll have a camera so you can take a picture of the ship leaving the area.:D

We had a CD one time who said if you miss the ship be sure to take a picture of the ship as it sails away. You will always treasure that picture.

Archived