How formal do we have to dress on Dawn Princess?

Peachy12

Hi all,

My husband and i were wondering how formal you really have to go on the Dawn Princess?

I'll have some nice dresses, or skirts and nice tops, but my husband doesn't really want to pack a formal suit, especially in the middle of summer.

Do you know if he could just bring some dress pants, a nice shirt and a tie? I don't want us to be out of place.

Hi all,

My husband and i were wondering how formal you really have to go on the Dawn Princess?

I'll have some nice dresses, or skirts and nice tops, but my husband doesn't really want to pack a formal suit, especially in the middle of summer.

Do you know if he could just bring some dress pants, a nice shirt and a tie? I don't want us to be out of place.

Regardless of the ship, dress is discussed over and over on this site. Just do a search for Formal. You will find all types of discussions.

peachy12

We have just returned from the New Zealand Xmas Cruise on Dawn Princess for 13 nights and we had 3 formals in that time.

I was not keen to dress up too much but took a dark coat (like a suit coat) and some tan tidy trousers. Wore a blue shirt and a tie with black shoes.

Every man that I saw in the dining room at the formals had as a minimum what I had. Some had suits and ties and quite a few even wore dinner suits or tuxedos and black bow ties. Some of the blokes took their coats off and hung them over the back of the chair but mostly they stayed with their coats on. Those that didnt want to dress up ate at the Buffet that night. Also, the dress standard in the dining rooms for dinner every other night is shoes that cover the feet, (no thongs or sandals) long trousers and

a collared shirt (no T shirts) I wore dress shorts, long socks and shoes with a collared shirt one night and was not allowed in with shorts. I think the dress standards for the dining room add to the ambience and standards and I didnt mind dressing tidily for dinner.

John Don

Hi John Don

Thanks so much for your reply. It's exactly what i was wanting to know, and you went on the exact same cruise that we are going on, so at least i know the information will relate directly to us.

This certainly helps us for our suitcase packing!! Especially for my husband's dinner wear.

do you know if women are allowed to have strappy shoes on, instead of closed shoes? I'd imagine they should be able to, since most women's dressy shoes are strappy.

thanks again

I had three pairs of shoes (total, yes total) on my last cruise, which was 15 days including three formal dinners. One pair was walking shoes and the other two were sandals. Every night I wore sandals to dinner and didn't have a problem. The no-nos for dinner in the main dining rooms are shorts, torn jeans (and not for formal night), halter tops, tank tops, that sort of thing. For formal night, dresses for the women or fancy pants suits are okay. For a man, a dark suit is fine. You don't need gowns or tuxes.

Peachy, Hope you enjoy your first cruise.

Strappy evening shoes are fine. Just make sure that everything you take is comfortable to wear. Once your feet swell you may not be able to get them on but once.

A pair of Black dressy pants and several evening tops will get you through several formal evenings. We gave up the tux and hubby wears a suit or sportscoat when we had to limit the bags we take.

Rarely do you use everything you pack. Some things can be worn again to cut down on baggage. Specially on long cruises. Princess ships have a self serve laundry for the passengers. They have the soap etc. available too. So you could pack clothes for 1/2 of cruise and wash. They also have an iron and ironing board in Laundry. You can also have the ship's laundry do your items- but it will cost more.

Make sure that your clothes are roomy so you can still wear them after all of the extra goodies you will be eating.

Wear sturdy shoes for walking. Not all places are clean and streets are not always level.

Above all else have a good time. S.

Nice khaki pants and a long sleeved dress shirt with or without a tie will work on formal night. I have done it without any problem. I also wear a pair of nice leather sandals on all nights again without a problem. Usually though on formal night I do wear a blue blazer but put it on the back of my chair. I have read posts where short sleeved shirts on formal night (and no coat) is not accepted. However it seems to be a hit and miss situation. Because the room is generally cold the long sleeved shirt is the best solution. While certainly in the minority on formal night, I have never been alone and no one seems to really care. Dress as formal or informal as you want and enjoy your cruise.

Nice khaki pants and a long sleeved dress shirt with or without a tie will work on formal night. I have done it without any problem. I also wear a pair of nice leather sandals on all nights again without a problem. Usually though on formal night I do wear a blue blazer but put it on the back of my chair. I have read posts where short sleeved shirts on formal night (and no coat) is not accepted. However it seems to be a hit and miss situation. Because the room is generally cold the long sleeved shirt is the best solution. While certainly in the minority on formal night, I have never been alone and no one seems to really care. Dress as formal or informal as you want and enjoy your cruise.

We were just on the Ruby & in the AT DR they didn't enforce the jacket or long sleeve shirt rule. It had been reported that the head waiter (Jan) was "very strict" but he didn't look twice when I dined without a jacket wearing a golf shirt.

The formal night attire guidelines are the same for ALL Princess ships, no matter what some on here might say. And a blazer, nice trousers, dress shirt and tie will work, if one is deadset against not wearing a "real suit" or a tux.

The guidelines are just that, but MOST Princess cruisers DO dress in accordance with those guidelines. There are usually the few "It's MY Vacation and I'll Dress the Way I Want To" people who try to incite others to dress down and become part of their "in-formal-on-formal night" crowd.

If you don't want to follow the guidelines, why not just go to the buffet in the Horizon Court on formal night(s)? That leaves the specialness of the ambiance of "dress-up" night intact for the pleasure of the majority on the ship.

The formal night attire guidelines are the same for ALL Princess ships, no matter what some on here might say. And a blazer, nice trousers, dress shirt and tie will work, if one is deadset against not wearing a "real suit" or a tux.

The guidelines are just that, but MOST Princess cruisers DO dress in accordance with those guidelines. There are usually the few "It's MY Vacation and I'll Dress the Way I Want To" people who try to incite others to dress down and become part of their "in-formal-on-formal night" crowd.

If you don't want to follow the guidelines, why not just go to the buffet in the Horizon Court on formal night(s)? That leaves the specialness of the ambiance of "dress-up" night intact for the pleasure of the majority on the ship.

Well said, and a good way to end this thread.

Regardless of the ship, dress is discussed over and over on this site. Just do a search for Formal. You will find all types of discussions.

Same ole stuff being discussed over and over. Do what you want and someday we will all be lost!

Because the buffet doesn't offer the same food selections as the DR does.

Same old story, my dress slacks and long-sleeved dress shirt should have no bearing on whether you're able to enjoy your meal in the dining room, and if my attire ruins your cruise than you are the one with a problem accepting personal differences. I've said it before and will continue to post this response, Princess states their "Recommended" dress not their "Mandatory" dress, if they begin to turn people away for not wearing a jacket and tie then I'll reconsider my dining options. Until that point (and I'm at 19 formal nights on Princess without being turned back even once), I and a minority of others will be enjoying the food in the dining room alongside those in suits and tuxes. I don't eat at buffets since I'm tired of watching kids (and adults) touching all the food and coughing or sneezing on it, I'd rather not wonder who just wiped their nose and then touched the serving utensil or the piece of food I ended up with.

Couldn't agree with you more!

It's not a matter of inciting others to dress that way but simply informing them of an unofficial available option. While it's certainly true that most people do adhere to their dress suggestions, it's nice to know that it isn't a true requirement & if it doesn't bother you not to dress then do so.

Not dressing to the specific guidelines take nothing away from those that do.

We have just returned from cruising on Dawn Princess Melbourne-NZ-Melbourne and were very disappointed how casual the majority of the male passengers were. They wore teeshirts or open neck shirts and no jackets in the dining room. Most of the ladies made an effort but the Australian passengers were very casually dressed which we found disappointing compared with other cruises we have been on with Princess. If you are going on the Dawn wear exactly what you would like there appears to be no dress code!!

We have just returned from cruising on Dawn Princess Melbourne-NZ-Melbourne and were very disappointed how casual the majority of the male passengers were. They wore teeshirts or open neck shirts and no jackets in the dining room. Most of the ladies made an effort but the Australian passengers were very casually dressed which we found disappointing compared with other cruises we have been on with Princess. If you are going on the Dawn wear exactly what you would like there appears to be no dress code!!

Much of the world is becoming less formal and opting for the more casual look. In my own observations this certainly is true in the Caribbean which is already famous for its casual attitude not only in dress but in conducting their lives. The world is constantly changing and for right now to the casual. Perhaps in later years the move will be back to more formal. Certainly do not expect the mass market cruise lines to move against the trend.

As others have stated, Princess does not require you to dress formal but rather encourages it. There is a difference between the words require and encourage.

~~~"Because the buffet doesn't offer the same food selections as the DR does."~~~

So that makes it OK to flaunt the cruise line's guidelines???

If the food choices are that important to you, why not "inconvenience" yourself, for just a couple of hours, and dress for the occasion? It's not called "formal night" for no reason. It's not as though tuxes and ball gowns are required.

Formal nights are continuation of a cruising tradition that is still enjoyed by most cruisers.

Your choice to dress down certainly does not ruin my dinner, but when too many follow your lead, it will impact the gala ambiance that exists on cruise ships on "Formal Nights".

As others have stated, Princess does not require you to dress formal but rather encourages it. There is a difference between the words require and encourage.

This is a direct lift from Princess. Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual - Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

So Formal is formal and smart casual is smart casual. People are going to do what they want. Go for it!! Why do we waste so much time trying to rationalize what you or someone else should or would wear.

~~~"Because the buffet doesn't offer the same food selections as the DR does."~~~

So that makes it OK to flaunt the cruise line's guidelines??? Yes it does.

If the food choices are that important to you, why not "inconvenience" yourself, for just a couple of hours, and dress for the occasion? It's not called "formal night" for no reason. It's not as though tuxes and ball gowns are required.

Formal nights are continuation of a cruising tradition that is still enjoyed by most cruisers.

Your choice to dress down certainly does not ruin my dinner, but when too many follow your lead, it will impact the gala ambiance that exists on cruise ships on "Formal Nights".

The food choices are that important to me and although the buffet has improved considerably over the last few years they still don't have the special items I want on formal evenings.

Until the head waiters begin to turn people away on a consistent basis (and it doesn't look to be happening anytime soon) there will be people who will continue to bend the rules & eat in the DR on formal evenings.

Thanks everyone for your input. We'll be sure to pack suit pants/jacket, long sleeve shirt and tie for my husband. I'll take some nice dresses and strappy shoes (but i might get a few that are more comfy, i don't know if it's harder to walk in high heels on a ship that is moving.

Archived