Carnival's Behind the Fun Tour

Abram797

I have a really dumb question on this.... I want to take the tour, my husband does not. I am super incredibly shy. I want to take the tour, but I would be terrified of speaking. Would I feel out of place with this? I know this is probably bizarre to most people, but social talking/mingling is terrifying to me (probably from being bullied most of my life). The tour sounds like it clips along at a fast pace, which would be great. Is this suitable for a solo person, or is everyone in groups/couples??? I'd hate to miss out just because my husband won't go.

thanks,

What day of the cruise is this tour generally? I thought I read somewhere it is on a port day? Sea day would be better for us as we are out on/in the port when there!

Thanks.

It was on the last sea day when we were on the Valor in November.

I have a really dumb question on this.... I want to take the tour, my husband does not. I am super incredibly shy. I want to take the tour, but I would be terrified of speaking. Would I feel out of place with this? I know this is probably bizarre to most people, but social talking/mingling is terrifying to me (probably from being bullied most of my life). The tour sounds like it clips along at a fast pace, which would be great. Is this suitable for a solo person, or is everyone in groups/couples??? I'd hate to miss out just because my husband won't go.

thanks,

You will be just fine! I would suggest arriving just before the tour is to leave though as on our tour there was lots of visiting going on beforehand. Once the tour has started, there's really no need for you to talk if you don't want to. There were some solo people on our tour -- the only reason I knew that is b/c I saw them come in by themselves. Hope that helped! :)

My BFF and I both really enjoyed this tour! Emma was awesome and my favourite parts were the bridge & engine room control room. Both looked like a Bond villian's lair.

I very much recommend it!!!

I'm thinking of doing it again!!! Can't beat it for ship and cruise junkies!!!! You can go on it with friend or alone. I went solo and asked questions as we walked and asked them in front of the group!

It does fill fast!! I had my booking as soon as I reboarded... and I was B2B. It was done on the last Sea Day. The CONQUEST had two sessions... One before lunch and one afternoon. They filled QUICKLY!!! Go there -- go right there to the excursion desk!!!

No cameras or phones is right. Searching and wanding you -- like at the airport -- is right. No bags or packs. Lots of stairs, and elevators are available in many places... But not to the bow, bell, and anchor. I loved sitting in the Captain's chair in his Captain's dining room. And on the Bridge... WONDERFUL!!!! And in the Supper Club, with the chef seeing a demonstration of fileting and trimming meat! And champagne and ... and ... and ...

thanks,

Sounds like us only backwards. I want to go, she does not. I'm the talker, she is not so I guess it'll work out. I told her she could hit the spa that day while I'm off looking at cool stuff and she was thrilled :cool:

Can't say,.. you can judge for yourself...

Here is some of what we did.

We toured backstage in the Ivanhoe theatre and the manager of the performers and the stage manager spoke to us and showed us what goes on backstage.

We then made our way down the back stairway, checking out the brig and the morgue.

We then walked down "95" and were taken through the various operational areas. Walking 95 is definitely cool.

We then walked around the 3 crew dining areas and the Captains Dining room.

We were taken to the crew training room and Emma told us about how employee development and how promotions work. Very informative.

We walked around the laundry area... I was amazed in this area. I wish I had one of those folding contraptions!

We toured the crew galley, the main galley for the dining rooms and the galley for Scarlets. In the main galley they had a carving demonstrations and a were shown how to make flowers with vegetables and fruit. LOL

We also spent some time with the chef for Scarlets.

We also toured Engineering and had about 30 minute question and answer session with the chief engineer.

Then touring the bridge and question and answer session with the captain.

That is almost identical to the tour on the Splendor we did in Nov.

I would highly recommend it once at least... just consider yourself

saving $100 you could lose in the casiono!!!LOL;)

1/16----2 more days to the DREAM!!

donnakg:D

Guest bahamamama1

I just remembered on ours they were talking about the stabalizers & percent of "stress" and what not and said if the ship were at 100% at stress it would break in half !! :eek:

Do they only have one tour per cruise, or are they on sea days? How many opportunities would we have for booking a tour. We're cruising on the Legend at the end of May and I know both my husband and son would love this tour. I already know the first thing to do when I board the ship, head to the excursion desk to book this tour!

We went on the tour on the Destiny last Month. It was only 55 dollars, not 95 like I see some of you have paid. We got a hat, a plastic bracelet, a pen, and a pic with the captain on the bridge. We got to see all of the areas mentioned (Theater, laundry, crew areas, bridge, front of the ship, kitchen, and some more places). I thought it was worth it because it was on our sea day and it made the day that much fun. If you are cruisers, like my family is, you will appreciate it and get a kick out of what you will learn on the tour.

YES, it is great. We did it on the DREAM during our TA. It was offered on a sea day. I think that is when it is offered on all the ships. The shorter cruises offer a shorter tour at a less price. I will do it again on the TRIUMPH in Feb.:D

Did the tour on the Valor just two weeks ago. Our tour was given by Emma, the Corporate Trainer. It was excellent and well worth the $95.00. Our tour ended up being 4 hours long. I have a backpack, baseball cap, lanyard, 3 photos (2 group shots - 1 at the front of the ship, 1 on the bridge with the captain and an individual picture with the captain), picture book with various photos taken by Carnival Crew Members, soap carving of a swan done by one of the pastry chefs and great memories. We had a lot of time to ask questions.

My tour was sold out within 30 minutes of boarding. I'm Platinum so I was one of the first ones to get on. In fact, I was the first one to purchase at ticket at the Shore Excursion Desk. The Shore Excursion Manager wanted to know how I even knew about it. I said Cruise Critic, of course! They did offer another tour and it sold out within an hour of the announcement.

One of the many highlights of my tour was when a lady on the tour asked the head pastry chef if they made all of the desserts fresh or did Carnval just buy them at Costco and have them shipped in. The expression on his face was PRICELESS!

Later in the evening, I ran into the Captain and he asked if I enjoyed the tour. That was pretty cool.

There must be one in every crowd. Hubby said on his tour there was one in the group that kept asking off the wall questions trying to stump the personel for answers.

We did the tour on the Dream and it was great! You do have a lot of stairs to climb. I counted 14 flights up during the 4 hours, we could not use the elevators. Some of the people on this tour were struggling with all the stairs.

They really stress that you have to be able to walk a lot!! But it was worth it and yes it was on a seaday.

YES, it is great. We did it on the DREAM during our TA. It was offered on a sea day. I think that is when it is offered on all the ships. The shorter cruises offer a shorter tour at a less price. I will do it again on the TRIUMPH in Feb.:D

We were on a 4 day cruise, and it was still about 3 1/2 hours. There were two tours actually because the first one sold out in minutes, we got the last few tickets of the second tour they started. The price was cheaper because we didn't get a backpack and mulitple pictures. I guess, you get what you pay for. Yes, there was a lot of walking up and down stairs, but at some points our guide let us take the elevator to get to some places. It was an all and all fun tour and highly recommended for cruise addicts. You will think differently about cruising from now on when you see the behind the scenes stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds very interesting! I think I am leaning towards booking this as soon as I get on board. I really like the mechanical aspects of things, is there anything on this tour related to the engines, engine room, electrical room, etc, that sort of thing?

This sounds very interesting! I think I am leaning towards booking this as soon as I get on board. I really like the mechanical aspects of things, is there anything on this tour related to the engines, engine room, electrical room, etc, that sort of thing?

Yes, you get to go to the Engine Control Room, the head of the dept. explains how everything works and will answer all your questions. You go to Lanundry area and see all the washers and dryers. Also you see how the ship deals with all the solid/liquid waste.. On the Bridge the Capt will explain how the ship is controled and how they find the next port.

Leedm

I am fresh off the Glory and I signed up the for the Behind the Fun tour when I boarded the ship. IMHO the tour is well worth the price. I found that it was a fair amount of walking and standing, so you need to know there will be a lot of walking, and I mean a LOT, and stairs stairs stairs!!!!!!!

I loved the Bridge was we had a fabulous captain--Capt Cutugno. He is my first repeat captain and is a very happy, funny man!!!!!

Anny "techies" would love the engine room and bridge. Foodies would love the galley!

The price may put people off, but think of it as you get items no one else outside of the 32 people who signed up for the tour will get. You get a "Behind the Fun" logo hat, lanyard, bag, bracelet, and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries from the head chef.

I would do it again, given the chance, but I would not be greedy and let someone else get a behind the scenes look...Now a cabana at Half Moon Cay I would fight any passenger to the death for....well figuratively speaking........

You'll really like the engine control room, then! The engineer can bring up different cameras of things in the actual engine room so you can see them on a screen. He will also answer just about any tech-related question you can throw at him.

We will be boarding the Destiny on Saturday ...for a 5 day cruise....to Jamaica & Grand Cayman (fingers crossed, the propulsion problem is fixed) Do they advertise this tour? Could we call our PVP and book it now before we board..or is it first come first served. I will be so disappointed if we can't get it. I will be going straight to the excursion desk... with my luggage and all!

Edited by rkcavender