No expectations makes for a great FREEDOM cruise! My Story:

QTMichele

Here are a few more pictures of Cococay...

19444_285397121163_502681163_4662988_4110542_n.jpg

Barefoot Beach (as you can see, the chair hogs are out in full force LOL)

19444_285397141163_502681163_4662991_1073706_n.jpg

Cococay from the tender

18545_744594399949_25803214_42569700_2105248_n.jpg

Freedom in the Distance

19444_285397181163_502681163_4662996_8194238_n.jpg

Another Tiger Shark... SCARY!!!

19444_290730461163_502681163_4684080_3905096_n.jpg

HEHEHE Sorry... I couldn't resist!!! The first one was real though!!!

It was a great day on Cococay, even though the wind was a bit breezy and the temps were a bit cool. I'm so glad I was able to see this island and can't wait to enjoy it on a more favorable weather day (and withOUT sharks!).

It's time to get back on the ship and prepare for our first formal night.

I forgot to mention that the tendering back to Freedom was LONG. Because we waited to find my dad and son (we split up on the nature trail), we were on the late side getting back to the ship (not late, just later in the day). It took us almost an hour of standing in line before we reached the tender. I'm not sure if this is typical, but my guess is that it is. My advice, if you don't want to wait in line that long, is to leave on the early side.

Here's what a long day on Cococay will do to you:

19444_285397191163_502681163_4662997_2677273_n.jpg

Tonight is formal night! We went back to our staterooms straight from the tender to get ready for dinner. Everyone needed showers and I was in charge of getting 3 kids plus myself ready for dinner.

Thankfully, it wasn't too bad and we ended up looking pretty okay, don't you think?

19444_285397221163_502681163_4663003_7958834_n.jpg

Let me back up for a second. We started our evening in the dining room; however, my son was wiped out from his day at the beach (see first picture!). Because I *AM* one of those responsible parents who tries to keep her kids well behaved in public and I was NOT succeeding with my baby this evening, I decided to take him to the Windjammer after 20 minutes of being in the dining room. So, off in our formal clothes we went.

Upon entering the Windjammer I immediately noticed two things (I have never eaten in the WJ for dinner). One, it had a nice ambiance - low light, tables somewhat set, tableclothes, etc. And, two, my son and I were way overdressed! LOL The picture doesn't show it, but he had an adorable black sport coat with dark grey slacks (he was wearing his white shirt and red tie too). After we sat down with our new dinner in the WJ, he decided to go into a coughing spell and demonstrate what food looks like alllllll over his cute clothes. Sigh. I hadn't even gotten pictures. I was really disappointed in formal night - no main dining room, no cute clothes for the babe, and no pictures! Thankfully, I had a pair of khakis that worked out fine.

After dinner, I took the girls to their first evening in Adventure Ocean. They were excited to go meet some new friends (and they did!). The rest of us spent the evening walking the decks and exploring the ship at night. Tonight's production show was Marquee. I did not go, but my mom went and enjoyed it. After a while of walking the decks, I picked up the kids. They wanted a snack. Sure, why not? Off to Sorrento's we go for a slice of pizza and a little sweet. This would turn into a nightly ritual for us.

We returned to our stateroom to find this:

19444_285397206163_502681163_4663000_6457843_n.jpg

Other critters found included these:

18545_744594419909_25803214_42569703_4902323_n.jpg

18545_744594409929_25803214_42569702_7756374_n.jpg

Coming up: Day 3, Sea Day

Today is a sea day. I'm really hoping to find good weather today, but learn that it is raining, windy, and cool. Thankfully, the day improved as we went on.

I had several things planned for today. Our Meet and Mingle was schedule in Olive or Twist at 10:15 and our Poker Cabin Crawl was scheduled for 1:00 PM. I took my kids and sister to the M&M for a quick hello. The M&M was well attended; however, the Royal employee was terrible. She said a quick hello, gave away a few door prizes, then left. As this was my first M&M, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought there would be a little more effort on our host's part. Several fellow Cruise Critics agreed and told me their previous M&Ms were handled much better. Oh well... I had fun stopping in and was really looking forward to the poker cabin crawl.

My girls were begging to get to Adventure Ocean before lunch, so off we went, then I made a stop in the Windjammer for a late breakfast. The girls had to be picked up by noon, so back to AO I went, then back to the WJ for lunch. (Hey, I was on a cruise and calories don't count.)

Because AO isn't open at 1, I took my kids to the Solarium (no heart attacks, please... it was just to meet my parents so they could take the kids while I went to the poker crawl) ;). They went swimming in the H2O zone - they LOVED it! My son really loved the baby splash zone where swim diapers are allowed. I'm so glad it was available. On a side note, the pool attendants were out in full force making sure kids with swim diapers were only in the baby zone while keeping kids who weren't in diapers out of the baby zone. It was nice.

Off to the poker cabin crawl I went with my brother. We donated our $5 to "charity," then went in groups to see cabins 1656, 9340, 8714, 7575, 6410, and 6214. We drew a card in each stateroom. The player with the best hand in the end won the pot. I'm not sure how much money there was, but it was close to $200, I think. I had 2 pair, but lost to 3 of a kind (kings). Oh well! I had a great time seeing the different cabins, including a junior suite, center hump D cabin, royal family suite (aft), a corner aft cabin, promenade cabin, and a balcony all the way forward with a "bubble" on one side. Seeing the different cabins was a great! I really appreciate my fellow CCers welcoming us into their little piece of real estate! THANKS, guys!

Two hours later, I had to take responsibility of my kids again. :) My oldest was in AO, while my other two were still in the water. By 4:30 I had to get my oldest, then off to get ready for dinner.

The girls had dinner at Johnny Rockets with Adventure Ocean. I had to sign them up by noon - it was no problem. They were really looking forward to it, but "trouble" was brewing. When I dropped them off, they seated my girls together. Okay, I'm thinking, they will enjoy that. However, they seated several 5 and 6 year olds with my girls. Great for my 6 year old, not so good for my 10 year old. She wanted to sit with her new friends, but the staff seat the kids as they come in. HUH?! I'm not sure why they did this and didn't allow my oldest to sit with her age group, but it was a bummer for her. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but to a 10 year old it is very disappointing.

In the meantime, I went to dinner in the MDR and found it to be good. Again, if someone is cooking for me and the food is edible, I don't complain. I found the quality to be similar to good chain restaurants - definitely better than Applebees, but not 5 star dining. I'll take that kind of food any day of the week.

The Headliner Show was Beatlemania Live in the Arcadia Theater. I really, really enjoyed this show. There was a bit of comedy thrown in with the music. The audience loved them too - a standing ovation ended the show.

Beatlemania Live

18545_744594449849_25803214_42569708_1787498_n.jpg

My DD's Sea Pass wasn't working, so I went to Guest Relations to get it fixed. Let me say that the staff at this desk were always super friendly and smiling. I had a few business items to take care of through the week, plus reserving babysitting for my son, and getting Sea Pass cards to work properly. There was never a problem. On this trip, one of the Guest Relations staff told me that they reprint between 100 and 500 Sea Pass cards EVERY day. Apparently, the magnetic strip is easily erased by cameras, credit cards, cell phones, etc. Sounds like RCCL needs to look into ways to make their cards more effective.

After walking around for a bit, I picked up the girls from AO and went to the Royal Promenade for our snack. The Dancin' in the Street party was going on - busy and crowded, but I managed to get through with the stroller. Something to add about the parades and parties in the Royal Promenade - you CAN hear them in your Promenade room! It sounds like a "thump, thump, boom, boom" (kind-of like a car with the bass turned all the way up - you know what I mean, don't you?). I didn't find it to be too intrusive since it was always finished by 11 or so. If noise bothers you and/or you're an earlybird, then you may want to rethink this type of cabin. For most people though, I think the benefit of having an interior with a window far outweighs any muffled noise.

I don't have many pictures from today, but here's one to hold you over...

19444_285397236163_502681163_4663005_8158625_n.jpg

great review so far!

Thank you!!! I'm trying to hurry up and finish it, but between my mom duties (including a sick baby :( ) and life in general, it's taking a bit more time than I would have liked. Hopefully I'll get most of it finished tonight.

Thanks again for reading!

Thank you!!! I'm trying to hurry up and finish it, but between my mom duties (including a sick baby :( ) and life in general, it's taking a bit more time than I would have liked. Hopefully I'll get most of it finished tonight.

Thanks again for reading!

Hope the baby is feeling better! I've never cruised before with my kids 6 and almost 10 so I'm enjoying hearing about your experience! Did you say you cruised Disney before?

Hope the baby is feeling better! I've never cruised before with my kids 6 and almost 10 so I'm enjoying hearing about your experience! Did you say you cruised Disney before?

Thanks for the well wishes. :) He has a cough and wants to sleep a lot. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. He never wants to sleep much during the day so we shall see... :rolleyes:

Cruising with kids is great! It was one of the best vacations I've had with my kids. I didn't have to worry about a thing! And AO was always available if I wanted some "me" time (although I usually had the baby with me so it wasn't quite "me" time lol).

I have not cruised Disney - only Royal Caribbean (Mariner and Freedom). My parents and siblings went on a Disney cruise several years ago (maybe 10?). Not sure if I want to try their line because of the expense - I love Disney World (going in October) and all that it offers. Seems to me there is a better value for the money. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of Disney and feel confident that they offer a great cruise product. We'll see... Are you planning a Disney cruise?

After another rockin' night on the ship (the wind has been incredible!), we wake up to warmth and sunshine! After a quick breakfast in the Windjammer, we get ready for our day in St. Thomas.

St. Thomas was a little difficult for me to plan. There were several ships in port that day so we knew it would be busy, plus, we didn't want to plan an excursion since we really wanted a relaxing beach day. On our own we went... I suggested three beaches to my family: Magens Bay, Sapphire Beach or Secret Harbour. We really wanted to snorkel and then figured we'd try the public transporation instead of the taxis at the pier. Oh my... Now, for those of you not familiar with St. Thomas, the taxis are mostly open air buses and the rates are set. It was going to cost $10 per person each way for our group. If you walk a "few blocks," you can get an almost identical open air bus for $2 per person to take you to Sapphire Beach. Thinking that we would see a little more of St. Thomas, we opted for the second choice. Hmmm...

Those few blocks turned into over a mile. Now, I really don't mind walking and generally prefer it; however, St. Thomas looks old and worn out. I really did not enjoy the walk to the bus stop. But we continued on for the sake of "exploration." After walking for about 20 to 30 minutes (remember, we have kids and weren't exactly sure where we were going), we found the bus stop. We were definitely the only tourists there, everyone else was local. We only waited a few minutes before the bus came, then hopped on. About 20 minutes later, we were at our stop and rang the "door bell" apparatus that was on the ceiling of the bus. The driver let us off and we paid. Would I do this again. Nope! Was it terrible? Nope, and I would recommend it to anyone who is on a very tight budget; otherwise, just pay the fee and take the taxi.

It had started to rain while we were on the bus (grrr... could our weather get any worse?!), but, thankfully, it stopped by the time we got to our stop. The bus took us to the top of the entrance to Sapphire Beach - a very short walk through the parking lot. No problem.

I want to end on a positive note, so let's get the negative out of the way first. There is a restaurant that is closed on this beach. It looks a little run down. There is a dive shop with rentals (chairs, no umbrellas) and a snack bar that is open, but nothing looks overly nice. I realized we weren't at a first class resort, and I was aware of the facilities before going so this wasn't a major deal; however, I would go to another beach with better facilities next time.

On the other hand, the view from the beach was beautiful! With the exception of the overcast day and slightly murky water (this was due to all the storms in the area - apparently this wasn't the only beach that wasn't crystal clear). There is a reef along the right side of the beach. I didn't snorkel, but my DD, dad and niece did and saw plenty of fish. My dad saw a stingray too! (Thankfully, NO sharks!)

Sapphire Beach

19444_285397241163_502681163_4663006_649202_n.jpg

19444_285397336163_502681163_4663016_3733526_n.jpg

The Snack Area

19444_285397346163_502681163_4663017_668739_n.jpg

After several hours off beach time, we took a regular taxi (this was a closed bus - not open air - with seatbelts!) for the price of $10 per person (my 2 youngest kids were free too!). We were back on the ship by 5, then prepared for dinner.

Dinner tonight was special - we had a birthday party for my DD! She turned 10 on this cruise and we wanted to make it special for her. I preordered the decorations for the stateroom and cake for dinner on her birthday. Both were nice surprises for her (although she had no clue that Mommy and Daddy did these things for her - she thought Royal Caribbean was just that "nice").

The crab and noodle salad appetizer was great! I could've ordered that for dinner and been very happy. Yum! After dinner, our head waiter and several other waiters/assistants came to our table with DDs birthday cake and sang happy birthday. She was surprised and quite happy. The cake was good too!

She has no clue what's she's getting ready to get!

19444_285397446163_502681163_4663025_3990744_n.jpg

Here's a picture of the cake - the best close up I have.

19444_285397461163_502681163_4663028_1946171_n.jpg

After dinner, the girls wanted to go to AO. There was a Pirate's Parade for DD 6's group. They were dressed like pirates and chanted as the marched through the Promenade and dining room.

Yo, ho, a Pirate's Life for ME!

19444_285397621163_502681163_4663049_6592187_n.jpg

The evening's shows included Freedom Ice and Freedom Live Music Concert. I didn't go to either one.

I hired babysitters for this evening - they arrived on time and in a pair. I had seen both around the ship and felt comfortable leaving my sleeping baby with them. Then off I went to the Love and Marriage Game Show. As always, it was pretty funny.

After the show, I picked up my girls. My birthday girl showed me her birthday gift from Adventure Ocean - a nice beach towel/bag set. Nice surprise! (And free!) Off to Sorrento's for our midnight snack (literally), then back to our stateroom for much needed sleep. This vacation stuff is exhausting!

Here's what we found in our stateroom tonight...

19444_285397516163_502681163_4663035_169443_n.jpg

18545_744594524699_25803214_42569720_1941997_n.jpg

Along with our towel animals and Cruise Compass, we found the "laundry special." For $25 you can have your socks, underwear, shorts, t-shirts, swimwear and PJs washed - as long as they fit in the bag. This is a wash and fold service only - no pressing. We didn't take advantage of it, but it's really not a bad deal.

Next stop, St. Martin!

Free

It was a great day on Cococay, even though the wind was a bit breezy and the temps were a bit cool. I'm so glad I was able to see this island and can't wait to enjoy it on a more favorable weather day (and withOUT sharks!).

Now, that is hilarious! I recognized right away who it was--even without the description!

Michelle....

We did not see sharks in Coco Cay....however....in the water

park my kids saw a family of manatees...Mom, Dad and baby...

they were so close they could have almost touched them!!!

Your review is great! I should write one but I am not so ambitious!

My girls LOVED the cruise and met tons of friends (they are 24,

19 and 15)....mostly boys!!! It figures!! Tom and I also had a great

time as did his Mom!!! The girls are asking me....when can we go

again???

I am thinking maybe June 2011....Southern caribbean on the

Adenture of the Seas???

Kay

Great review and pictures! Thanks so much for posting!

You're so welcome! And thank you for your compliments. :) I'll finish this over the weekend, with extra pictures of miscellaneous things.

Michelle....

We did not see sharks in Coco Cay....however....in the water

park my kids saw a family of manatees...Mom, Dad and baby...

they were so close they could have almost touched them!!!

Your review is great! I should write one but I am not so ambitious!

My girls LOVED the cruise and met tons of friends (they are 24,

19 and 15)....mostly boys!!! It figures!! Tom and I also had a great

time as did his Mom!!! The girls are asking me....when can we go

again???

I am thinking maybe June 2011....Southern caribbean on the

Adenture of the Seas???

Kay

We love manatees! Did you get any pictures?

Thanks for your compliments - I appreciate them! I'd love to hear your overall take of your Freedom cruise. If you don't want to write a review (even a brief summary), please post your comments here. It's been fun to read Melody's experience. Kind-of like reliving it. Can you believe it's been almost a week since we debarked?! :eek:

Southern Carib sounds wonderful. My mom and I were talking - next family cruise may be out of San Juan so we are assured of better weather and ports. Haven't sailed on Adventure, but I do like the Voyager class.

Take care and please keep in touch!!!

Now that's funny!!!:D:D:D Great review!

Just curious........who was your head waiter???

thanks for the great revuew...off the topic i have a question for you...i saw you are wearing a WV sweatshirt on..are you from morgantown? I ask because i am and my husband is an alumni:D i have found a few(in the beauty section lol) that are from wv and alumni's :p

Love your review, Michele! We are on the Freedom in 23 days, although our itinerary is Western Caribbean. We had promenade cabins on the Mariner last March, and I agree about the "boom boom" sound being heard.

By theway, your kids are beautiful! Can't wait to hear the rest of your trip report :D

Michele - I loved your review and pics. I am doing a B2B on the Freedom at the end of Feb and first of March. I am so looking forward to it and you have increased that excitement.

Take care and I hope your little one gets to feeling better.

Hey Michele! Your cruise review is great. I'm reliving the moments. I'm happy I got to meet you and your adorable children. Hope the little guy is feeling better.

Our weather wasn't great, but we had a wonderful time. I love the Freedom of the Seas and miss the late night snacks at Sorrento's.

Love your photos and look forward to reading more.

Janet

Wonderful in depth review! Your pictures add so much to the enjoyment of reading about your cruise. The kidlets are precious! :D Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Question about time zones ....did the clocks change when you sailed into a different time zone, or did you remain on the original ships time for the duration of the cruise?

Wonderful in depth review! Your pictures add so much to the enjoyment of reading about your cruise. The kidlets are precious! :D Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Question about time zones ....did the clocks change when you sailed into a different time zone, or did you remain on the original ships time for the duration of the cruise?

you remain on the ships time always it never changes.

Michele,

I am really enjoying your review and look forward to the rest as it is helping me relive my Thanksgiving week cruise on Freedom. I too had my three kids with me DS 12, DD 10, and DD 7. They truly enjoyed the experience and had many of the same great memories as your DD's: late night snack on the promenade, AO, and the Water Zone. We had Inside rooms which I actually liked but would definately look into the promenade rooms in the future. Great review. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Barb

Now that's funny!!!:D:D:D Great review!

Just curious........who was your head waiter???

Thanks so much!

I'm sad to say that I've forgotten our head waiter's name... I'll see if I can dig up his name somewhere.

thanks for the great revuew...off the topic i have a question for you...i saw you are wearing a WV sweatshirt on..are you from morgantown? I ask because i am and my husband is an alumni:D i have found a few(in the beauty section lol) that are from wv and alumni's :p

Thanks so much for reading!

We live in WV and are big WVU fans. My sister in in pharmacy school there. Glad to see another WVU fan on the boards!!!

Love your review, Michele! We are on the Freedom in 23 days, although our itinerary is Western Caribbean. We had promenade cabins on the Mariner last March, and I agree about the "boom boom" sound being heard.

By theway, your kids are beautiful! Can't wait to hear the rest of your trip report :D

Thanks for reading and sending along the nice compliments. Is this your first time on Freedom? She's a great ship! I prefer Mariner's decor (just beautiful!), but I really loved Freedom too. Would go back on either any time.

Michele - I loved your review and pics. I am doing a B2B on the Freedom at the end of Feb and first of March. I am so looking forward to it and you have increased that excitement.

Take care and I hope your little one gets to feeling better.

WOW! I'd love to do a B2B! (Or more!) I'm sure your weather will be better than ours. Hope you have a wonderful cruise! Thanks so much for reading!

Hey Michele! Your cruise review is great. I'm reliving the moments. I'm happy I got to meet you and your adorable children. Hope the little guy is feeling better.

Our weather wasn't great, but we had a wonderful time. I love the Freedom of the Seas and miss the late night snacks at Sorrento's.

Love your photos and look forward to reading more.

Janet

Thanks for stopping by, Janet. :) It was so good to meet you too. We feel as you do - weather was crap, but it didn't stop us from having a great time. We're ready to do it all over again.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review! I appreciate the compliments on my kids too. :)

The ship's time never changes; however, St. Thomas and St. Martin were one hour ahead of ship's time. If you're concerned about keeping track, then I would suggest wearing a watch and keeping it on ship's time. Note - don't use your cell phone to keep track. Ours changed time based on LOCAL time.

Michele,

I am really enjoying your review and look forward to the rest as it is helping me relive my Thanksgiving week cruise on Freedom. I too had my three kids with me DS 12, DD 10, and DD 7. They truly enjoyed the experience and had many of the same great memories as your DD's: late night snack on the promenade, AO, and the Water Zone. We had Inside rooms which I actually liked but would definately look into the promenade rooms in the future. Great review. Thanks!!!!!!!!

Barb

Thanks for reading, Barb! Am so glad it's helping you relive your cruise. :) It's helping me relive it too... just can't believe it's been almost one week since we debarked... where does the time go?

We originally had inside rooms, but found a great sale for promenades and junior suites about a month or so before our sailing. Couldn't pass it up AND saved money by switching.

Archived