Catamaran from Valdez to Whittier

jblbcl

We have a hold on a WC balcony cabin for cruise/ tour. The access desk at Princess has told my TA that I cannot do the catamaran part of the cruise. What are the arrangements for getting on and off the catamaran? If I can walk a few steps with a cane and holding on to DH, is it possible? Anyone done this? I cannot walk long distances and am usually in a manual WC. Please reply as soon as possible. Thanks.

I have done this and although difficult it was worth it. I used my travelscoot at all the lodges - we stayed in Anchorage(1 night), Denali (2 nights), the other denali (1 night) and Copper River (2 nights). The train from anchorage to the 2 Denali lodges was very easy as the train cars have a lift to the dome area and accessible restrooms. The bus from Denali to Copper River was by standard bus with the large steps. I found that difficult but with my husband's assistance I managed to get on and off. We had a full day from Denali to Copper River and the wildlife we saw was wonderful (Elk, Ptarmagen, Tundra swan, porcupine, and bear). We took the large bus from Copper River to Valdez. It was about a 1/2 day trip. Then we had to get on the boat to Whittier. There was a ramp (two steps at the bottom and one at the top) from the dock to the top of the boat. The ramp was steep and narrow but had sturdy hand rails. It went to the top deck and then I had to go down a full set of stairs to the seating area. I was directed to a different set of steps from the regular crowd. This was good as it took me a long time to get down the steps. My daughter went in front of me and my husband stayed behind me for safety. I went slowly and was glad when I reached the sitting area. When we got to Whittier there was a rather flat ramp to transverse before I was met by a person with a wheelchair. I would do it again as the trip was so special but I was surprised by the number of steps and commented about it on the comment card.

• 3 months later...
I have done this and although difficult it was worth it. I used my travelscoot at all the lodges - we stayed in Anchorage(1 night), Denali (2 nights), the other denali (1 night) and Copper River (2 nights). The train from anchorage to the 2 Denali lodges was very easy as the train cars have a lift to the dome area and accessible restrooms. The bus from Denali to Copper River was by standard bus with the large steps. I found that difficult but with my husband's assistance I managed to get on and off. We had a full day from Denali to Copper River and the wildlife we saw was wonderful (Elk, Ptarmagen, Tundra swan, porcupine, and bear). We took the large bus from Copper River to Valdez. It was about a 1/2 day trip. Then we had to get on the boat to Whittier. There was a ramp (two steps at the bottom and one at the top) from the dock to the top of the boat. The ramp was steep and narrow but had sturdy hand rails. It went to the top deck and then I had to go down a full set of stairs to the seating area. I was directed to a different set of steps from the regular crowd. This was good as it took me a long time to get down the steps. My daughter went in front of me and my husband stayed behind me for safety. I went slowly and was glad when I reached the sitting area. When we got to Whittier there was a rather flat ramp to transverse before I was met by a person with a wheelchair. I would do it again as the trip was so special but I was surprised by the number of steps and commented about it on the comment card.

thank you for this post I also have a Princess Crusie tour book for June 2010 and have been contacted by Princess about my ability to access the catamaran to Whittier, as I am able to walk with two arm canes. With your discription it sounds like It will not be that difficult for me to get onborad.

I did find it very difficult to get on board. I have special trouble with steps but at least I was directed to a different set than that used by most of the travelers. I tend to fall more if I am hurried (or feel as if I have to hurry) than if I can go very slow.

Archived