Worried about bad reviews Oosterdam

stray

My daughter and I will be going on the Oosterdam in March. This ship has been getting a lot of mediocre to bad reviews. Is it really as bad as described, which includes less than satisfactory food, service and upkeep? Would appreciate any and all comments. I want to be prepared for what we will find.

After 10 cruises, I don't pay much mind to negative reviews.

Unless she has changed since 2004, the Oosterdam is a great ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Each cruise is a different experience every time, even for the same person. We just got off the Oosterdam this morning and I, too, read the negative reviews and became very concerned just prior to leaving. Well, let me tell you, we had a very good time and would definitely cruise with her again. The staff are excellent, the ship beautiful and in great condition and the food was, to my surprise, very good. Were there issues? Absolutely. BUT, alot of it is in how you handle these issues personally. We experienced our first ever code red (noro outbreak). This certainly impacts the cruising experience, however, we did not let it ruin the whole thing for us. Just so you know, in case it should happen to you, this majorly impacted our second experience at the Pinnacle, however, we knew this was not typical and attempted to make the best of a situation. Was debarkation somewhat of a nightmare? You betcha. But, I cannot place the blame on HAL for this. Customs was held up because one idiot couldn't get their a$$ to the Vista lounge for clearance and subsequently held up the entire ship. I personally saw, from my vantage point in the atrium, the captain become exceptionally upset over this holdup by customs and doing everything within his power to get the process moving.

And as previously stated, very few cruises fall below an 85% positive rating (although it does happen....Edu-sense being one of those unfortunate occasions with some major issues that should never have happened). So, in closing, look forward to your cruise. Anticipation is half the fun. Don't let some negative comments color your overall excitement as I almost did.

I agree with Tarps14.

We found the food to be really good. Friendly and competent staff. Beautiful artwork throughout the ship. And yes, they were still paging Klatu from Lower Slobovia at 8:25am to go to the Vista Lounge. Where was this fool?

Made the 11:18 to ORD on UAL so all was good.

p.s.

Not only were robes present in the Lido but the Daily Planner encouraged the wearing of robes to Bingo. Receive a free card or some such thing if wearing a robe.

Rich

LOL!! Mudscraper-that was priceless....Klatu from lower Slobovia. Too funny! We made our 11:15 flight and even had enough time to grab a bite of breakfast before it (thanks to a very talented cabbie who scared the bejesus out of me!). All was good here as well!

Each cruise is a different experience every time, even for the same person. We just got off the Oosterdam this morning and I, too, read the negative reviews and became very concerned just prior to leaving. Well, let me tell you, we had a very good time and would definitely cruise with her again. The staff are excellent, the ship beautiful and in great condition and the food was, to my surprise, very good. Were there issues? Absolutely. BUT, alot of it is in how you handle these issues personally. We experienced our first ever code red (noro outbreak). This certainly impacts the cruising experience, however, we did not let it ruin the whole thing for us. Just so you know, in case it should happen to you, this majorly impacted our second experience at the Pinnacle, however, we knew this was not typical and attempted to make the best of a situation. Was debarkation somewhat of a nightmare? You betcha. But, I cannot place the blame on HAL for this. Customs was held up because one idiot couldn't get their a$$ to the Vista lounge for clearance and subsequently held up the entire ship. I personally saw, from my vantage point in the atrium, the captain become exceptionally upset over this holdup by customs and doing everything within his power to get the process moving.

And as previously stated, very few cruises fall below an 85% positive rating (although it does happen....Edu-sense being one of those unfortunate occasions with some major issues that should never have happened). So, in closing, look forward to your cruise. Anticipation is half the fun. Don't let some negative comments color your overall excitement as I almost did.

We've been on ships with the Norovirus and found the staff to be very vigilant in keeping things clean and disinfected. I'm curious. How did it affect your dinner at the Pinnacle? We love the Pinnacle and ate there many times on our last cruise.

We've been on ships with the Norovirus and found the staff to be very vigilant in keeping things clean and disinfected. I'm curious. How did it affect your dinner at the Pinnacle? We love the Pinnacle and ate there many times on our last cruise.

After the code red was called, they no longer had anything extra on the tables...no flowers, salt and pepper, no truffles with the coffee, no table side prep of salad, at first no flaming of the steak diane or new skewers (although the maitre'd put up such a fuss about this that they did get the flaming back), and it really seemed to effect the overall staff attitude in the restuarant. Even the maitre'd admitted this to us. There was just a vast difference between our first experience earlier in the cruise (when no restrictions were in place) to the last night when they were in full force.

Understand, I am not finding fault with HAL in deciding to make these changes. They did what they felt they had to do (although in making the shipwide announcement of the changes, they listed the fact that two other foreign ships in port with us in Acapulco had outbreaks and that these precautions were partly based on that. Seemed a little overkill to me or maybe I just took what was being said the wrong way). I just want to be sure others understand how it will affect your experience.

After the code red was called, they no longer had anything extra on the tables...no flowers, salt and pepper, no truffles with the coffee, no table side prep of salad, at first no flaming of the steak diane or new skewers (although the maitre'd put up such a fuss about this that they did get the flaming back), and it really seemed to effect the overall staff attitude in the restuarant. Even the maitre'd admitted this to us. There was just a vast difference between our first experience earlier in the cruise (when no restrictions were in place) to the last night when they were in full force.

Understand, I am not finding fault with HAL in deciding to make these changes. They did what they felt they had to do (although in making the shipwide announcement of the changes, they listed the fact that two other foreign ships in port with us in Acapulco had outbreaks and that these precautions were partly based on that. Seemed a little overkill to me or maybe I just took what was being said the wrong way). I just want to be sure others understand how it will affect your experience.

Hi Tarps,

Thanks for the information. I agree the little touches are part of what make Pinnacle special. And I don't think you over reacted. I can't imagine why they couldn't bring truffles or flowers. I mean really how many people touch the vase or eat the flowers?

I was on one Noro ship. They had staff everywhere in the buffet including the salad bar and passengers couldn't dish up anything. It felt like being in high school again in the cafeteria. Fortunately they lifted the restrictions the next day.

Did they call the red alert because of Norovirus on board or because of it being on the other ships?

I too understand the precautions but I sometimes think they go too far. On one cruise two 20 something girls were in a cabin near ours. They drank too much and (as has happened to many of us in our youth) became ill. The crew quarantined and completely disinfected their cabin. I suppose better safe than sorry but the poor people had to deal with a hangover and being sanitized. Embarrassing I'm sure.

Thanks again for the info.

We have only sailed the Oosterdam twice - Jan 2006 and Oct 2008 - but the service, quality, and cleanliness were steller both times. Many people on this board cruise this ship quite often and don't have any problems.

The reviews I've seen don't stop me from booking our next cruise in Jan 2011 aboard the Oosterdam.

All reviews of a ship are personal perceptions or taste.

To one person it is a bad cruise to someone else it was

a great cruise.

On one of our cruises I heard someone complain that food was to salty.

I noticed people of adding salt to the food before tasting and then leaving

most of it . We found that on that cruise and some the food is perfectly spiced for our taste. :) The same same applies to hotels and restaurants on

land.:cool:

All reviews of a ship are personal perceptions or taste.

To one person it is a bad cruise to someone else it was

a great cruise.

On one of our cruises I heard someone complain that food was to salty.

I noticed people of adding salt to the food before tasting and then leaving

most of it . We found that on that cruise and some the food is perfectly spiced for our taste. :) The same same applies to hotels and restaurants on

land.:cool:

I'm convinced there is a segment of passengers that are only happy when complaining.

I, too, just got off the Oosterdam. Only 14 cabins had cases of Noro. Not much since there were 2100+ passengers.

Doesn't that kind of make you go "ummm...what?" We had all of that because of roughly 28 passengers? I don't know, maybe it stayed that low because of all the precautions, who am I to say. It just seems as if maybe it was a little overkill. Oh well, a great time was had and I certainly feel we got our monies worth.

Btw-the corner aft cabin, 5191, was probably our favorite suite to date. The balcony was absolutely amazing! We spent an incredible amount of time out there. Well worth the money spent.

My wife and I just spent 11 days aboard the Oosterdam on a Mexican rivera cruise. At this moment my wife is very very sick with gastrointestional disease. She must have contracted this on one of the last days of the cruise, after the code red was in full force for 3 full days. I noticed numerous cases of cross-contamination by the crew, for example a passenger brought her used coffee cup to the attendant at the drinks station, he took it from her hand and re-filled the cup. Thus contaminating his gloves and every cup handled after that until he changed his gloves. He did not change his gloves for the entire service, I stayed and watched. Staff would routenly buss dirty plates and cutlery and the return to the "clean" area to serve food. NOT GOOD... We were told by the frond desk 12 cases of disease were reported well before Acapulco. I noticed Boozy was dissembarked in Acapulco, he looked sick and we didnt see him after that. Draw your oun conclusions. The entertainment staff was helping in the lido buffet through the code red, cudos to them, they were great.

The morning of dissembarkation in the Vista lounge for customs clearence of all non US passengers was an experience. The route for disabled passengers was not wide enough for wheelchairs. Let me say, the crew choose this route not the passengers. The procedure was (without assistance from crew) to remove the disabled passenger from their wheelchair lift the wheelchair over the narrow spot then return the passenger to their chair. Once for comming and once for going. Not very flatering for a parapalegic to be hoisted by his trousers (the entire 600 people saw and felt his wedgie). Three crew to manage a croud of over 600 people. NOT GOOD...

Doesn't that kind of make you go "ummm...what?" We had all of that because of roughly 28 passengers? I don't know, maybe it stayed that low because of all the precautions, who am I to say. It just seems as if maybe it was a little overkill. Oh well, a great time was had and I certainly feel we got our monies worth.

Btw-the corner aft cabin, 5191, was probably our favorite suite to date. The balcony was absolutely amazing! We spent an incredible amount of time out there. Well worth the money spent.

We were in 5190 and I quite agree with you. They are outstanding accomodations. The balconies are incredible and on deck five they have overhangs so you have privacy. We rebooked the same suite for our next cruise.

KNS2010-thank you so much for providing this different perspective. I am so sorry to hear your wife is so ill. What a crappy way to end a vacation. I hope she gets to feeling better very soon. Usually these things tend to run their course in about 48 hours. Clearly all of the precautions were not overkill as I thought in my rather off the cuff comments. And, unfortunately, as you have found, even with due diligence, they don't always prevent illness. Rather egregious mistakes were made, based on your observations of the handling in the lido. Very certainly counterproductive to what they were trying to accomplish. Sounds as if more training might be needed in how to handle skin to skin contact pathogens.

Archived