embarrasing weight question!

catharina

Hi Guys

I am trying to get money together to buy my parents a cruise, and we'll go with 4 adults.

Looking to save money, I am looking at 4 people in 1 stateroom.

However: mum and dad won't be able to get in the upper berths.

My husband can, he will be fine. But I am quite overweight!

Is there a weight limit for upper berths (and what is that limit)?

and how do you get in and out of that bed? (for several toilet visits at night)

PFF the more I think about it, the less the idea of 4 people in a stateroom appeals to me!

But I want to give this for dad's 65th birthday in march, he is terminally ill but dreams of once making a cruise in the Med. I want to fullfill this dream but paying for 4 people including train, tips and drinks is quite a chunk of money :-(

Greetings from Holland

Cat

ps anybody have a picture of rooms with upper berths?

thanks! That doesn't look to bad to get on and off. Just hoping that it would not collapse underneath me (and crush one of my parents LOL)

any more experiences are wlecome.

Rollaway bed is an option but I am guessing very cramped in space

Four adults in a stateroom really will be pretty crowded...and if you are correct about multiple trips to the bathroom and night (and what about any medical needs for your father?) it's going to be pretty crowded and noisy in there!

You might see if you can find a bigger suite..or two inside staterooms side by side, or some other configuration.

I would suggest 2 inside staterooms. It will be very crowded with 4 adults in a stateroom and I believe that there is a weight limit in the upper berths. You would need to check directly with the cruise line for their suggestion on weight limits.

Please make sure that you have insurance for your trip that will cover you in case your father becomes ill on the trip!

Have a great time!

I agree that 4 adults in one small room is tight. But that is a financial decision that you will have to make. That said, the best way to find out how much weight the top berth can hold is to simply call the ship-line. They will have a definitive answer for you. Enjoy your vacation!

It's a wonderful thing you are doing but gently suggest you rethink the plan. Sharing these tiny, cramped quarters and you worrying about the safety of the upper berth is sure to put a damper on your enjoyment. One bathroom for four adults is also something to think about. There will be absolutey no privacy for chaning clothes, showering or anything else.

Is it at all possible to arrange two cabins Perhaps on a les costly itinerary or even different cruise line that might have somewhat lower prices?

Keep researching.... you could get lucky and find lower prices that would enable you to get two cabins.

If that is not an option, that defnitely e-mail or call the cruise line and ask their ship's services department if there is a maximum weight limit for upper berths. That would give you peace of mind in terms of safety.

I hope it all works out wonderfully for you and your family.

When my sister and I were little, we cruised with our parents with the 4 of us in one room. Bear in mind that I was 5, my sister was 7, so we were pretty young. My sister is terrified of heights, so she wasn't getting onto one of the upper bunks, so my dad and I had the 2 bunks. He's a big guy, but it always supported him, on the older ships. But after 1 particular cruise, my dad was sleeping in the bunk above my mom, and the berth started tilting, my mom was terrified it was going to fall on her. Remember, it's held in by a few screws on one side of the bed. After that, we started booking 2 rooms.

I think it's really sweet that you want to do this for your dad, but seriously consider 2 rooms, or just paying for them to go and not going yourself. Everyone will be much more comfortable, and you can all have some more intimate moments.

We cruised with my mother to the Panama Canal on Holland. The cabin had a couch that converted to a bed. That along with an upper berth for your husband may solve the problem. Hope it works. Trips with your parents are wonderful!

thanks! That doesn't look to bad to get on and off. Just hoping that it would not collapse underneath me (and crush one of my parents LOL)

any more experiences are wlecome.

Rollaway bed is an option but I am guessing very cramped in space

On one NCL cruise I took there were four women traveling together in a quad cabin, two uppers and two lowers, each women easily weighed 450. I still to this day wonder how they managed, this was also in a 135 sq ft cabin on the NCL Majesty when it was still with NCL.

I wouldn't want to even if I could get up there, nor would I really be keen on being underneath either, to be honest. But I suspect they would hold you alright.

If possible get two inside rooms. They could be connecting. THe bathrooms themselves are very small so you can't share a mirror or standing space. The other solution would be for some kind of family suite, but that would probably be much more costly.

Cat: Your plans are admirable.

I had a friend that did a "girls cruise" that 4 stayed in an inside. It's doable but as mentioned it will be cramped.

Since money is tight, you do what you need to do. I don't know what the 3rd/4th person charge is on your cruise, but it's worth researching to see if adjoining is a possibility as it may not be much more.

More importantly, don't let us talk you out the cruise regardless. Best wishes.

Thanks guys, for all of your answers

You are right, 4 people is not going to work. Me and my mum and night-toilet gers en dad needs to get up at 3 am for his medicines.

So now I am looking at 2 cabins next to each other.

Thing is, we are very limited in choice. dad can not fly anymore due to leaking heart valves (if that is the english terms) so we HAVE to take a destination that is:

A) easily reachable by train or car (marseille is only 5 hours bij rapid train)

B) somehwere end of march/very beginning april (due to his ilness, the sooner we do this the better)

For the mediterreanean cruise , Marseille is the only easily accesible port for us. Barcelona and Genua are too long a trip (13-15 hours by car)

We also loved to cruise from amsterdam or rotterdam, but those are not going untill june.

Also, sending them alone is not going to work. They get quit lost doing trainstations etc, and need some help and guidance. Plus, the whole idea was to spend some time with mum and dad while we still can.

Well THANK YOU! I am looking to see if I can get 2 cabins scraped together...

Keep your fingers crossed

I hope this all works out for you. Spending time together with your parents would be a wonderful gift that you will always remember. Just so you know , a lot of times the inside cabins go for very reasonable prices , so you might be able to get a good deal , and Please do get the travel insurance , it is an additional expense , but well worth it if you have difficulties away from home. Good Luck

Cori

Where in Holland are you located. We have family in several areas of Holland. Would you then take the Euro Rail to the Cruise port ? How many hours would your Dad have to travel , is he up to that ?

Cori

Catharina,

Off subject but wondering if your Dad has considered having the surgery to have his leaking heart valve repaired or replaced? It is amazingly successful surgery and tthese days hey are doing it on patients of very elder years.

We know a lovely woman aged 89 who had her mitral valve replaced six months ago and she is doing great. She was only in the hospital 6 days total. Recovered at home and is back to her usual activities.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Catharina,

Off subject but wondering if your Dad has considered having the surgery to have his leaking heart valve repaired or replaced? It is amazingly successful surgery and tthese days hey are doing it on patients of very elder years.

We know a lovely woman aged 89 who had her mitral valve replaced six months ago and she is doing great. She was only in the hospital 6 days total. Recovered at home and is back to her usual activities.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Unfortunately, countries with socialized healthcare systems often ration care based on age. At best, you may be placed on a waiting list for treatment. Sail, it is one of my greatest fears that we may also be heading in that direction.

Two connecting insides sounds like a much more reasonable situation. Plus it'll give you two bathrooms.

One other thing to consider: A family promenade room. This will give you a double bed (or two twins) in the main room, then a set of bunks in a kind of "closet" over to the side. Since you say that your husband will be fine in the upper bunk, you and he could share the "closet" and he could sleep up top. The downside: These rooms are hard as anything to get because there's only 1-2 per ship.

Unfortunately, countries with socialized healthcare systems often ration care based on age. At best, you may be placed on a waiting list for treatment. Sail, it is one of my greatest fears that we may also be heading in that direction.
Every American should listen to this one loud and clear. Do you really want your mom or dad -- or you someday -- to be denied care because of your age?

My sister-in-law who works in insurance says we're headed for this option at full steam. She definitely expects it to become reality in our lifetime.

If two separate cabins are too much money, maybe one larger cabin with a couch that converts to a bed may be a compromise.

You should also call the cruise lines. Under the circumstances, your father's condition may qualify him as handicapped. If they can put you all in a handicapped room, the cabin is larger.

If two separate cabins are too much money, maybe one larger cabin with a couch that converts to a bed may be a compromise.

You should also call the cruise lines. Under the circumstances, your father's condition may qualify him as handicapped. If they can put you all in a handicapped room, the cabin is larger.

Those couches aren't very large. I think the OP might find herself with the same problem, different details in such a cabin.

A handicapped cabin, though, is a good idea -- if the OP's father qualifies.

Archived