Athens - Help! I'm a little confused

Cathy Maneri

If you get the all day pass for the metro system around 3 euros (the last time I was in Greece 2008) the ticket allows you to travel on the metro, electric rail, the bus and trolleys. Even if you get off at the Acropolis station you will still have a little walk to get to the Acropolis--I think around five to ten minutes.

We were just in Athens in November. We had never been there before so our priorities were the Acropolis and the new Acropolis museum. I found a private guide online, Georgia Papadopoulou, who is the absolute best if you want the ultimate in history, archeology, and anthropology. She has a Master's degree and is an Adult Educator. However, she wasn't cheap at 50 Euros an hour. She arranged a taxi to pick us up at the pier and take us to the Acropolis where she met us. After the tour, she hailed a taxi and made sure he knew where we were going (when you hail a taxi, they have to go by the meter, so make sure it's running and no worries). We were with her 6 hours, so we divided the cost by all those in the group.

Kathy...did you send your request for this tour by email or fax to Nikos? Did you provide your cc number and 3 digit number from the back of card as well. I'm looking at booking with Nikos as he has been exceptionally helpful with organizing our tour...just nervous about giving out my cc info.

I have made reservations twice with privategreecetours, one last year and the second for my next visit in Athens in July. In both cases in order to secure my reservations I had to send Nikos a reservation form with my cc info, which I found to be a very common practice among many other tour companies in Europe. Although I had the choice to fax it, I found it easier to send it in by two different e-mails; half of the info in the first email and the rest in the second one. Everything worked out pretty well and Nikos always responded promptly to all my questions.

Thank for the reply. I don't have any concerns with providing my credit card info and expiration date....just don't like to give out the 3 digit number on back of the card. Did they ask for the 3 digit number on the back of the card as well? I can either fax or email.

Thank for the reply. I don't have any concerns with providing my credit card info and expiration date....just don't like to give out the 3 digit number on back of the card. Did they ask for the 3 digit number on the back of the card as well? I can either fax or email.

I totally understand your concern; I was hesitant in the beginning too. When I booked my first tour with Nikos, I asked him about the CCV number. He answered politely that it is requested by the bank in order to confirm the validity of the credit card and I went along with it. Especially now that I have already met him personally, I have no problem sharing the info. However, I find it safer to send my credit card details in two separate e-mails.

On my roll call, there is a mix of opinion on whether to do Athens on your own or do a driver guide tour. I set up a roll call excursion with one of the major ones (not greektaxi) that had the typical set up. The cost was 40 euros per person for a full day in Athens. We decided to add a licensed guide for the full day and split the 220 euro cost among 13 people. In the end, doing it by ourselves without a guide probably would have saved us a few euros. But for what amounts to $80 per person in total, I won't have to worry about transportation anywhere or figure out timing logistics and have the benefits of a private guide. I think that's my default position on our upcoming cruise. We'll do Mykonos (beach) and Nice on our own. For the rest, I am trying to find ways to avoid both the aggravation of doing it on our own as well as the cattle calls of the larger cruiseline sponsored excursions. I am a bit in awe of those of you who do it on your own and have it all figured out. It works for many, just not me.

Thank you very much Cynthia & Terry!

The 3Euro all-day-pass, would it include the Metro green line as well as the Metro red line?

The 3 euro pass is a 24 hour pass which includes transportation on the electric line(green line), the metro (red, blue & yellow lines), buses, trolley's and the tram.

I prefer taking the public transportation when I travel in Greece. I tend to get car sick in Greece do to the traffic and prefer the electric line and metro. These lines are very efficient because they aren't affected by traffic. In Greece the signs are in Greek and English so it is very easy to get around.

There is also a site seeing bus that loops around to all the major sites. I don't think this is part of the 24 hour pass. You just hop on and off. I believe the bus number is 450.

The 3 euro pass is a 24 hour pass which includes transportation on the electric line(green line), the metro (red, blue & yellow lines), buses, trolley's and the tram.

I prefer taking the public transportation when I travel in Greece. I tend to get car sick in Greece do to the traffic and prefer the electric line and metro. These lines are very efficient because they aren't affected by traffic. In Greece the signs are in Greek and English so it is very easy to get around.

There is also a site seeing bus that loops around to all the major sites. I don't think this is part of the 24 hour pass. You just hop on and off. I believe the bus number is 450.

If you want information on the site seeing bus the correct bus number is #400. It is a 24 hour pass to 20 sites. The pass must be purchased from the driver for 5 euros. You can hop on and off as many times as you want in the 24 hour time frame. You can view the map and sites the bus covers by going to www.athensguide.com.

If you are spending a day or a couple days in Greece another major tour company you can google is chat tours.

Archived