Early Saver...anyone have this happen??

CruiseLover824

So, back in December I filed an ES form because they were offering a $100 onboard credit for past guests for my cruise. They sent me an email that said congrats...you win...you get the credit. I have that email along with a page that states we had a $100 credit.

Now, today I was poking around and noticed they were now offering a lower resident rate for our sailing. So, once again, I submitted the ES form--and got an email back saying it was approved.

Here is the goofy part---I look at the new cabin confirmation page and it is showing a $78 onboard credit. Hmmmmmm...maybe I am missing something. It should be showing $140 total credit. What's even crazier is that my friends have applied for the exact same credits for the exact same sailing, with the exact same cabin category---they are showing a $76 credit.

Anyone have a similar issue? Something isn't adding up here--literally. :confused:

When you got the credit for the past guest rate with the $100 credit how much did you get?? You probably did not get the $100, you got the difference on the bottom line??

Did you check it then?? How much credit was showing.

It is wierd your friends got $2 less.

... so you are sure the resident rate was less than the guest rate, after you subtracted out the $100 to get to the bottom line rate?? You wouldnt use the posted guest rate, but the rate after the OBC was subtracted out.

Firefly...

It's all really weird....I have a cabin confirmation email from December that shows we have a $100 onboard credit. That was sent after the ES was approved last time. So, we should still have at least that. That one was a past guest special.

Today's was a resident rate special. We had previously paid $589 for our cabin---was listed today for $569. Maybe I am missing something:confused:

Of course, no one in the accounting department...apparently who I have to talk to...is available on the weekend. I save all my travel emails...so I at least have something to forward back to them to show that the original credit was posted back in December.

So if the past guest special was $589, with a $100 credit, that is in effect a rate of $489 right... so your ES rate was less than $489 right?? to get the full $100 you had to be $100 below the past guest rate.

So now the resident rate is $569 which is MORE than you said the past guest rate was, or were you already subtracting out the $100 from the past guest rate??

sorry, Id have to see the rates for myself, the bottom line after the OBC offered on the past guest rate to figure it out.

I find it unlikely that you got the full $100 OBC unless your rate exactly match the past guest rate??? ...

Again ... did you look online to see how much credit posted.. not that past guest rate offered $100 so you assumed that meant you got it... what posted to the carnival site.

sorry I cant help more.

Seems to me that you had received the past guest promotion that was offering the $100 OBC. Now you sent in the form for a lower price but the new lower price does not include the $100 OBC as part of the price drop. Looks like you can't have both.

Firefly...

It's all really weird....I have a cabin confirmation email from December that shows we have a $100 onboard credit. That was sent after the ES was approved last time. So, we should still have at least that. That one was a past guest special.

Today's was a resident rate special. We had previously paid $589 for our cabin---was listed today for $569. Maybe I am missing something:confused:

Of course, no one in the accounting department...apparently who I have to talk to...is available on the weekend. I save all my travel emails...so I at least have something to forward back to them to show that the original credit was posted back in December.

As Fire and Legend mentioned, it seems the resident rate did an "over-ride" on the past guest rate. I had that happen to be once, as I wasn't understanding how E.S. was working-I called my PVP, who was very helpful, in having it changed back to the original higher amount of OBC. Good luck.

Before even making a post on these boards, I would've called up right away and had it straightened out.

What are you waiting for?

He stated that no one was available in the accounting dept. on the weekend.

When you got the credit for the past guest rate with the $100 credit how much did you get?? You probably did not get the $100, you got the difference on the bottom line??

Did you check it then?? How much credit was showing.

It is wierd your friends got $2 less.

... so you are sure the resident rate was less than the guest rate, after you subtracted out the $100 to get to the bottom line rate?? You wouldnt use the posted guest rate, but the rate after the OBC was subtracted out.

Fly the original post says WE so I assume there are 2 people in the cabin and they got $100 OBC which makes there new paid rate to be $539 not $489 (589-50 OBC PP). With the new resident rate @569 they are not entitled to more OBC as their specific cabin category needs to go below $539 to get more OBC. That is how I see it anyway. How CCL came up with $78 does not add up IMO

Fly the original post says WE so I assume there are 2 people in the cabin and they got $100 OBC which makes there new paid rate to be $539 not $489 (589-50 OBC PP). With the new resident rate @569 they are not entitled to more OBC as their specific cabin category needs to go below $539 to get more OBC. That is how I see it anyway. How CCL came up with $78 does not add up IMO

I thought that at first, but the OP also said they got the $100 OBC offered, so its kinda hard to know for sure.

I also said, without seeing the match myself with prices and how much they got no one here knows for sure. For instance Iv gotten $100 OBC and gotten into a short term panic when I only saw $50 posted ... turned out they split the OBC between me and my sister.

We just dont know, only guessing.

I've venture to say that the OBC from the past guest promotion has nothing to do with the fare. It's a separate entity, not a factor for the cruise fare itself.

As a past guest the fare is $589pp. As a resident, the fare is $569pp. The OBC should be $40 total difference with the reprice, right?

The $100 OBC from before was just part of the promotion, or an incentive, if you will, into booking as a past guest. You change the promotion, you lose the credit.

My $0.02. :)

I've venture to say that the OBC from the past guest promotion has nothing to do with the fare. It's a separate entity, not a factor for the cruise fare itself. My $0.02. :)

Actually, it is a factor. Im sure you have to subtract the amount of the OBC booking incentive to get the bottom line fare. (or I wouldnt have said it above).. that I am sure of.

My $0.02.

Actually, it is a factor. Im sure you have to subtract the amount of the OBC booking incentive to get the bottom line fare. (or I wouldnt have said it above).. that I am sure of.

My $0.02.

But it's an ON BOARD credit, isn't it? You don't get it before you sail...you get it WHEN you sail. So I wouldn't factor it into the cruise fare at all. :confused:

Remember, the "verified rate difference is issued as an on-board credit." The $100 OBC is part of the past guest promotion...it's a bonus for booking the past guest fare, not part of the cruise fare itself. Once you change the promotion to something that ISN'T offering the OBC bonus, you lose it. That's what it sounds like to me...

But it's an ON BOARD credit, isn't it? You don't get it before you sail...you get it WHEN you sail. So I wouldn't factor it into the cruise fare at all. :confused:

YOU might not factor it in, but Carnival will. When you determine what the bottom line fare is, if the fare being offered includes a $100 OBC as inducement to book, you can bet, Carnival has calculated it, so it comes out about the same, $100 off now, or $100 OBC and yes, they do factor it in. .. so if you were granted a $100 OBC...YOU have to factor it into the fare. If the fare was $600 and $100 per person to book the fare, thats a $500 fare to Carnival. Carnival is not going to give you a free $100 OBC and then ignore it when they calculate the fare bottom line.

Sounds like the OP did not factor it in, so when a $20 less fare came along, they thought it was cheaper because they didnt count the $100 OBC they had already been given and changed rates.

Before even making a post on these boards, I would've called up right away and had it straightened out.

What are you waiting for?

Kinda negative, aren't you? I did call HOURS before I posted on these boards. The accounting department doesn't work on the weekends. SO, I posted here to see if any of my fellow cruise critic members had any ideas as to what happened since I couldn't talk to anyone until Monday.

Thanks to everyone else for trying to help me with this.....trust me, I will be calling tomorrow to speak to the accounting department.

I guess if the fare drop cancelled out the onboard credit special, I would have liked to know that---why would I want less OBC??:confused:

The most confusing thing is still the fact that my friends have $2 less showing than we do, and we have all submitted identical ES forms and have identical cabin categories.

Hopefully it will get straightened out tomorrow....and if we still only get the $78, like Martinchem said, we still come out ahead of when we booked!!

Archived