Balmoral mini cruise to Amsterdam, Dec 19th.

caroljoyce

Mini cruise aboard Balmoral. Dec 19th - Dec 21st.

We set out on Dec 19th to join our mini cruise in Dover. All was well until we were 12 miles away. We hit a huge traffic jam on the M20. We were stuck there for over four hours and only travelled half a mile. This was due to trains breaking down in the channel tunnel caused by the cold weather.... but also the French ferry workers were on strike that day and the English border staff were striking too... This all added to the absolute chaos.

We phoned Fred Olsen Cruises up several times explaining our predicament and each time they told us they were delaying departure. We hoped we might have made it but there was no way into Dover. Finally after being on the road for nearly 10 hrs of what should have been a 4 hr journey, the boat sailed without us and we had to abandon the idea.

We got off the motorway by driving on the hard shoulder and found accommodation and food for the night in Folkstone.

Fred Olsen have denied any responsibility for our misfortune.

In my opinion, Fred Olsen should have known about the strikes if not the train breakdowns. They should have warned their passengers by telephone or email and urged us to travel down there the day before to make sure we caught the boat.

However, they did nothing to help us in that way. at all.

Do we have a case on the grounds of Fred Olsens negligence in not letting us know about the strikes I wonder?

When I spoke to Fred Olsens representative by email I was told it was my own fault for not keeping abreast of the weather news... but as I've explained the strikes were nothing to do with the weather.

Our insurance company say we have no claim as there was a get-out clause in the policy.(in their favour of course)

1100 people managed to catch the boat that day and 200 missed it.

I would love to speak to others who missed the ship and see if they had better luck that us with their insurance company.

I am sorry that you missed the departure, I was lucky in that we managed to get onboard - I know that they kept delaying departure. We came down the A2 and left the car on a sideroad and walked in the rest of the way (3 miles in the snow/blizzard)Lorries had blocked all of Dover town.

Whilst I can only offer sympathy I know that severl people got half their car parking refunded if you had booked at the docks. I know that it is not much but at least its something. I hope that you manage to get your money refunded.

I too missed the sailing..........like you we were stuck in traffic. :mad: My insurance company says we're not covered because we were in a private vehicle and not using public transport. Seeing there was no public transport available because of the chaos that to me is ridiculous. This was definitely a one off event with so many factors contributing to the gridlock around Dover.

I am SO disappointed with Fred. Olsen. They have taken a most unsympathetic view and have offered NOTHING. Like you say a phonecall or text would have helped. They should have encouraged people to aim for a far earlier boarding. It was me who had to keep phoning the ship........via Norway. :eek:

In their letter Fred. Olsen write ........."This was regrettably a "force majeure" situation and beyond the control of FOCL."

Well all I can say is that it was also beyond our control too. :mad:

I really think a "goodwill Gesture" from Fred. Olsen is the least they can do. As customers we have been failed by them. :(

Come on FO now is your chance for some good Customer Service. Show that your cruise line is a caring one!

I did ask Fred Olsen about a goodwill gesture. This is what they offered; 10% off any cruise if I booked it in the next 30 days... I've ignored the offer.

I don't think I'll ever sail with Fred Olsen again as a matter of principle. I still think they should have known about the strikes and warned us of the possible difficulty ahead.

10% off and a booking in the next 30 days? :confused: That to me is more insult added to injury. :mad:

As you say, such an unsympathetic attitude does not make you feel like booking with them again. Offering a refund/partial refund/compensation or a healthy OBC for a future cruise would go a long way.

If FO had dealt with us - their customers - in a caring manner, we could be singing their praises and encouraging family, friends and colleagues to book with them instead people have been shocked at their dismissiveness. :mad:

The main causes of the chaos on the M20 were the introduction of "operation stack" brought on by the sudden and rather dramatic breakdown of Eurostar trains, the freezing road conditions and bad weather in the Channel. The media, certainly in the Soiuth-East, was full of information on the delays - I know for I was on the cruise which left Dover on the 21st December and was following the drama closely. I am not sure what FOCL could have done for the bottleneck closed so suddenly. Even the approaches to Dover on the minor roads were reduced to a crawl.

I understand that the most fortunate people were those who went by rail, especially those who travelled by the new, "bullet" trains which have vastly reduced the journey time.

For the people who missed the cruise,to say they must have been gutted is an understatement.It is always one of my dreads ,the thought of missing sailing due to circumstances beyond my control.I always tend to err on the side of caution and if nothing happens en route, arrive far too early at the port much to the annoyance of my wife,but better to be safe than sorry. The only positive side to your disapointment in missing the cruise,is that you were not exposed to the norovirus which affected a lot of the passengers on that cruise.

I did ask Fred Olsen about a goodwill gesture. This is what they offered; 10% off any cruise if I booked it in the next 30 days... I've ignored the offer.

I don't think I'll ever sail with Fred Olsen again as a matter of principle. I still think they should have known about the strikes and warned us of the possible difficulty ahead.

Whether they 'should have known/should have warned' is arguable, of course.

What I believe is that they could show more understanding towards their customers who found themselves in that situation you describe.

It just shows how unethical and amoral they are, in my opinion.

They surely must employ someone with enough business nous to realise that this negative response will alienate potential customers.

Is there no-one in the company with enough about them to understand what effect their parsimony will have ? All to save a few more pounds per passenger?

'Goodwill' is a concept that F.Olsen might aspire to but it never quite comes off.

Their mission statement is totally misleading. In reality "It's all about Fred Olsen".

They have your money - that's all that matters to them.

If you have no redress in law, vote with your wallet! And take your friends and family with you!

If there was a bright side, it would be that you avoided the dreaded Norovirus that sails along with them!

to hear of your problems on the cruise. it is a shame fred olsen did not help more. i was getting of the ship the 19th fred olsen were not much help apart fronm telling us to go back in the terminal i was waiting for shuttle to st, enmd the end i decided tio drag my case to the stn the stn had reopened and got the fast train to london

dave

Whether they 'should have known/should have warned' is arguable, of course.

What I believe is that they could show more understanding towards their customers who found themselves in that situation you describe.

It just shows how unethical and amoral they are, in my opinion.

They surely must employ someone with enough business nous to realise that this negative response will alienate potential customers.

Is there no-one in the company with enough about them to understand what effect their parsimony will have ? All to save a few more pounds per passenger?

'Goodwill' is a concept that F.Olsen might aspire to but it never quite comes off.

Their mission statement is totally misleading. In reality "It's all about Fred Olsen".

They have your money - that's all that matters to them.

If you have no redress in law, vote with your wallet! And take your friends and family with you!

If there was a bright side, it would be that you avoided the dreaded Norovirus that sails along with them!

Another cruise just booked but not with Fred. Olsen. They certainly have stabbed themselves in the back. :p

May be I am missing the point. Fred Olsen operated the cruise. That is all that they had contracted to do. Refunds or compensation would only be due if Fred Olsen had not run the cruise.

They delayed the ship to try and help their passengers. They have offered a discount on a future cruise. Surely a thank you is due to Fred Olsen.

Stephen.

Stephen, I haven't been offered a discount off another cruise by Fred. Olsen. :mad: If one customer has then why haven't the others?

Yes, the ship delayed sailing but we were not informed this from them first. Fred. Olsen had my mobile number............ texts to keep us informed of the ship's sailing time would have been appreciated. Instead I had to keep phoning the ship via Norway. Even when I phoned they did not take my name or ask where we were. :(

And you expect me to say thank you? :confused:

Archived