Is there an open market in St. Thomas where you can buy fresh fruits and fresh spice?

merela

As far as we know, we cannot bring fruits off the ship, but my kids love fruits as snacks or even meals. I can only imagine the abundance of fresh tropical fruits on St. Thomas, but where can I find a market to buy these fruits? Will downtown Amalie have open food markets we can visits?

I thought one of the great souvenirs I can bring home to everyone here is fresh spices? What is an indigenous spice/s that is popular on this island? and where can I buy them?

TIA.

There was an open fruit market downtown Amalie when I visited about 3 yrs ago.

If I remember correctly, it was located at the opposite end of town from where you p/u the taxis & vans to go back to the ship (near the square filled with vendors) Sorry I can't be more specific, but, I know it was there & we bought fruit to bring to Megan's Bay. I would ask around when you get off the ship at Havensight so that the cab you take to town can drop you off directly there.

You can also check a map of Amalie on the internet. Genups (?) are very popular. Looks like a big grape, but softer inside & the skin is too tough to eat. If you see any Ugly fruit they are worth trying. Also remember buying one of the best Mangos. We gave away all the fruit we didn't use to some people at the beach before returning to the ship. Hope this helps. :)

There is a delightful deli/grocery at Havensight. They have fresh fruit and a wonderful selection of meats, cheese, and salads. I shop there when we make "land" trips to STT, and always stop when we get off the ship. The deli will be noted on any Havensight map.

95% of all foodstuffs consumed in the USVI are "Imported". The reason is fairly simple to understand. The cost of land in the islands is so high that it is not feasible to operate a farm there. On STX you will find a couple of large cattle farms, ( IE: Estate Longford ).... but that's about it.

STX supplies the majority of meat in the USVI, but that's about it. I know these statements as facts because I purchased property on STX to build a house. Using the contacts I made in biology professors, real estate brokers and large landowners, I found that my attempt to purchase property for agricultural development would not be feasible given the high costs of purchasing land there.

If you do find fresh fruits and veggies in the USVI, odds are in favor that they were imported and are not homegrown (IE: Pineapples there come from where else ? Hawaii ! ) There are small mom & pop farmers who will have a few bananas and some other tropical fruits.... but not very many at all.

Hello,

You can learn about some of our local fruits at:

http://www.*****/general_usvi/flora_fauna/fruit.php

None are available year round except the coconuts... they each have a season.

The Open market Maja mentioned is Market Sqaure. There are other fruit stands in various locations around the island, but as mentioned by shopp1 they aren't going to be local... but rather from other islands in the Caribbean. There are a couple fruit stands in Smith Bay close to Coki Beach/Coral World. There is another by the Eudora Kean High School just past Red Hook should you be heading to that area. And there is one on the road just past Raphune Hill heading towards Tutu.

Some farmers sell locally grown seasonings but its not in large quantities and is typically bought by residents at early morning markets, like the fish market.

Some souvenir shops sell packaged seasonings, bush tea, hot sauces... some are locally made ie. the bush tea and hot sauce, but more times they are from other Caribbean islands. You might try the Co-op store in downtown Charlotte Amalie, just accross from Emanicipation Park (which is next to Vendors Plaza, close to Fort Christian), they often have locally made teas, candies, art work; no fruits or seasonings though.

--Islander

Archived